wtf, i'm an angry resident!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Jan 20, 2005.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

My apartment complex has just undergone a complete change, new management, remodeling, painting... just a big 'ol pain in the ass. So, to get new residents and keep old ones, they had a promotion. Everyone who signs up a lease (new residents) or re-signs their lease for another year, will receive a free mp3 player and a year of napster. Okay, I can deal with the fact that it was NOT an ipod, rather an iRiver 20 GB photo mp3 player. (I'd still want the ipod) But, why, oh why would they offer 300 residents (98% which are college students) a year of napster?! It only works on windows, you f***ing idiots! So, now, what the hell do I do? I wanted to download music!!!!!! :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :confused: :mad:

2. MP2 macrumors member

Virtual PC?

What about using a friend's pc to download the music, then transfer it to your Mac?

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

no virtual pc.

I could, but am very irked... the MP3 player and napster were promised 2 weeks after the re-sign. I re-signed the lease the first week of December. I just got napster today, and had yet to receive my mp3 player. Using friends computer will work. But not too convenient.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You could sell them on eBay and buy an iPod and music from iTunes Music Store.

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have anything physical. I just have a membership ID. Can I sell that on ebay? How much do you think I could get for that?

6. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

if they haven't bought them yet, then you could always ask to reject the offer and have it credited to your payments or whatever.

7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Sell the player on eBay or to another resident even if you do it at a discount. After all, this is like found money and you don't want to turn it into a hassle. I doubt the rental office will give you credit because it's probably not costing them retail or anything. Almost sounds like Napster is scrappin'. Forget VPC because that is at least $130 or about the cost of a year of Napster. Now if the rental office won't give you the player until you sign up for Napster... that is an entirely different ballgame in which I don't want to even know how I'd react.

8. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

theres no way of getting credit or anything else other than the mp3 player... so I think I will be selling it, somewhere. I won't be opening it, to keep the value up. I guess i just got screwed with napster...

9. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

You just got a free MP3 player....I wouldn't call that screwed ;)

allison.

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I'd agree with the sell everything on ebay and buy an iPod. I'd think that as long as your name isn't on the napster membership card you'd be able to sell it.

11. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

update, more screwy!!

Okay, so I got notice that they will start shipping the mp3 players in feb. Which probably means I'll get it in 6-8 weeks. Now, more screw you news. I won't be getting the iRiver. I'll be getting a dell jukebox. sarcastic: yay. The selling price just went down by 100 bucks! At least with the iRiver I could have gotten enough money for an ipod mini. It had color screen, capable of FM radio and photo, and 20 gigs. What does the dell pukebox have? 5 gigs!!!!!!!!! no color, no photo, no high selling value. I think I'll be able to get $150 max for that, unopened.

This sucks. :mad:

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

How about this

You give the dell jukebox to someone who will appreciate it, and give them a year of free Napster as well, seeing as how this is SUCH a travesty for you.

I know several people who would love to have a dell DJ as they have nothing right now. Shame on you

13. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, I know I get pissed when someone hands me $150.
    Maybe that apartment living is getting to you?

Lee Tom

14. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, shame on me that I'm promised something to get me to do something else... and not get what I was promised in the first place. We call that false advertisement.

what if someone advertised that if you signed on to live in their very expensive, bad maintenance apartment complex that they'll give you a brand new car! and then you do it, and a billion years later, they give you a bike.

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You mean like a Toy Yoda ?

Out of curiosity how much is really expensive?

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you sign a contract based on an mp3 player, it's really your fault. Plus, I bet you didn't even get the type of mp3 player in writing, they just told you about it. Why would you sign something like a lease without everything in writing?
    I understand they were less than genuine, but that's apartment managers for you. Welcome to the real world! It's not what they tell you in college....

Lee Tom

17. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not an idiot, I didn't sign the lease because of the promotion. I signed the lease because I was going to continue living here. Getting the mp3 player was just a bonus. They had the same mp3 player in the office, flyers, mail, posters, notes on doors. It might not have been in "writing" in the lease, but all over the place. The first 10 people actually got the original player. Once they had to order 300 iRiver mp3 players, best buy couldn't handle the rush. So they ordered the dell's pocket jukebox. The promotion was pretty cool, and a sweet deal. But when every week, you get "they'll be here this week" and you still don't have it, and has been downgraded without notice.. you're going to be a bit ticked.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

More like bait and switch. Do you have their original offer in writing? Do they have "terms" that you agreed to?

And as far as the music goes, sheesh, just get a cheap old PC and use it to download music. Heck, between all my friends' old PCs we could start our own lab. :eek: Surely there must be someone who could give you or at least let you borrow an old PC.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Because they can safely assume that 98% of them have a PC if they have a computer? :confused:

20. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

:( :( :( I know for sure 3 people, including me, have macs. :( :( :( I've given the napster to my brother, but he doesn't see the point in having it. We kinda got a weird deal, you can download as many tracks as you want for a year, but once you're not a member of napster, you can't listen to them anymore. (says the webpage) YOu can't burn the tracks on a CD unless you've purchased it for .99 each, and it won't add to an ipod. (which is what he has.) He's having fun with it though, downloading the weirdest things he can find, to have a laugh. And hopefully, with the dellpod, i'll either sell it on ebay and throw in some extra money to buy an ipodmini, or just keep it I guess. Do you think that the dell jukebox will be mac compatible? or should I not hold my breath. :rolleyes:

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

22. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm already blue.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Bait and switch. "Buy this! Oh wait, we don't have that anymore. Here's this piece of junk."

Now, I know that there are other people that are less fortunate than you but still, I would be pissed if I was told I would be getting an iRiver and then had it replaced with the Dell. Napster is a write-off. But they can't switch out a contract like that with the iRiver/Dell.

So you have a right to be mad-- they didn't give you what they promised. But get over the napster thing, it just comes with owning a Mac. Dealing with the "other" side....

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just curious.

25. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah, sure. I didn't mean to ignore you, got caught up. I live in on/side campus? It's "off campus" but it's across the street from school, and mostly only have student residents. I live in a 2 bed/1 bath and the rent is $1590. :)