WTF? Is anybody home?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 13, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/05/13/spinning_his_wheels/

Total dysfunction. Does not compute. :confused:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

note that McClellan got it wrong when first talking to the press.

at 1:15 p.m.:
    later, McClellan released this:

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

By whom? Some SS bloke? Ridiculous!

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I hope you're kidding.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

They were probably afraid he'd fall off his bike. Again.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

me too skunk, me too.

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Is anyone getting the feeling that they just don't bother to tell Bush stuff anymore? If they want something done, they go straight to Rove or Cheney. :)

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you really think the gw has been anything more than a puppet?

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

What would George do about it anyway?

I doubt he would have the significance until someone told him anyway.

12. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Don't start...it's unnecessary and off-topic.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's off-topic? if there's a developing threat to the white house, wouldn't you expect bush to be notified?

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:confused: I thought that WAS the topic

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Read Stealth's profile.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I think this is actually much worse than it looks. Officially, "the system worked." But in reality, this airplane was able to penetrate the prohibited airspace and fly to within three miles of the White House. By accident. To make the official explanation even more jaw-dropping, the airplane in questions -- a Cessna 152 -- is about the slowest airplane in the general aviation fleet. We're talking a top speed of about 90 knots. If the "system" can't prevent an errant Cessna 152 from flying this close to major potential terrorist targets in Washington DC, then what is the point of the system?

17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    gw had enough pressure that day having just taken the training wheels off...

would the SS tell him while he was eating a pretzel?

somehow i don't think gw is a multi-tasker.

seriously, it shows just how much scott is winging it at the press conferences. at least ari sounded believable...

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To make us feel safe.

At least we know now that 9/11 really was incompetence and not a conspiracy, Apparently NORAD = asleep at the wheel. The administration really should be more careful considering how many people dislike us. Moreso now. Especially now that people know we are still so woefully unprepared.

I'm sure by now, someone has sent a memo to request the formation of a committee. :rolleyes:

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wouldn't that be "asleep at the handlebars?"

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What would they have done if a BD-10 zipped through capitol airspace?

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Considering the fact that the President was not notified until AFTER the planes had struck the WTC, I'm confused as to why this surprises anyone. There is a chain in command that gets followed, inefficient as it may be.

What amazes me, however off-topic this may be, is that the idiot instructor in charge of this plane still has his license and was not charged. I fly this airspace all the time. If you want to fly from say, Annapolis to Bowie (10 minutes) you have to file a flight plan and stay in touch with Washington Center during your entire flight.

The sectional chart for the area VERY CLEARLY marks an ADIZ zone outside of Washington, and the no fly zone around Washington itself. I think people would be a little more upset that the a$$hat flying the plane didn't have his ticket yanked.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It turns out the pilot was not a CFI. He was a fractional owner of the airplane along with the student pilot sitting in the right seat and eight other people. The fact that the passenger was a student pilot is probably how the incorrect story that the pilot was a flight instructor got started.

FAA enforcement actions take time. He'll probably have his ticket suspended at least. The irony of course (several of many) is that GA airplanes quite frequently penetrate the restricted airspace around DC without evacuations of the White House and Capitol Building. So the real story here is how he blundered to within a few miles of these buildings in a very slow airplane. Sadly, my membership organization (AOPA) is also saying "the system worked," when it obviously failed.

Well, at least they're dealing with some of the screwball responses to this story, the worst of which (no surprise) came courtesy of FOX News.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, he also violated a well-posted ADIZ before entering the "no-fly" area.

I filed a complete flight plan with a well-marked sectional for some aerial photography I was doing, got handed off from departure and the guy told me to exit the ADIZ. I had to file an incident report and go to a hearing just to save my license. This guy violates two major areas and nothing - at least so far.

The system doesn't work well at all. It's inconsistent and full of holes. Some controllers work with you, some let you do whatever you want, and some won't let you do anything even when procedures are followed to the letter.

It's seriously messed up.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, you didn't get dragged bodily out of your airplane into that hearing, did you? Obviously this pilot screwed up big-time and will be made to answer for his mistakes. Even AOPA, which usually sticks up for pilots who violate the vague and inconsistent rules put into place after 9-11 is calling for his hide.

25. iGary Guest

iGary

Um, no, but I didn't fly into the biggest no-no of off-limits airspace in the country either.