wtf is bittorent how do I get it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by switchedanhappy, Nov 19, 2003.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2003
    ct usa
    lately everyone talks about downloading on bittorent. i was wondrin how do i get this for 10.3 and how is it used? what are good places to get bittorent files?:confused:
  2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
  3. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    glad you asked. :D

now there's a proper client available for 10.3, and it actually works now. you can get that from VersionTracker.

there are also 'unofficial' clients, i don't really know what the difference is.

to download stuff via BitTorrent (BT) you first download a .Torrent file. then you open that file in BT and it connects to peers and you start to download. you also have to upload at the same time, this is how it works, and how everything gets spread around. you can limit your UL's but then i think it also lowers your DL speed.

here's a link to get you started DL'ing: RVB has some Blood Gulch episodes that you can DL by BT.

and yeah, Google is your friend. :D
  4. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    To find torrent files there's this thing called google. It doesn't take take long to find the torrent sites - you might have to wade through a few dozen pop ups of naked (and otherwise 'busy') young ladies to get there though...

Oh and if you're running a firewall remember to open up the appropriate ports otherwise it won't work.;)