WTF is up with Pny memory??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mocman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I went to comp usa today and seen that they had 1gig pny mem for power mac G5 only ram. I got home and it only reads 512mb?? I had 512mb installed and took it out and replaced with the new and still only reads 512mb. I got it for $120.00 when I get my rebate back.
    Anyone know what I should do????Thanks in Advance......

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

PNY is one of the top brands of ram. But it could be a bad stick, nothing is perfect.
    Run the hardware cd and check it for errors.

3. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I have always had good luck with pny mem. I just hate it because I live 60 miles away.....

4. starsearcher macrumors newbie

Go to one of those local hardware/software computer stores.. and buy chocolate with the money you saved.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Memory for the PowerMac G5 has to be added in matched pairs. If you mix a 256MB module and a 512MB (or 1 GB) module in the same pair, the system with still only show 512MB total.

6. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

My G5 shipped with 2-256mb sticks. Today I installed the 2-512mb stick which came in the same pack.
    I should have 1.5 gig of ram........urgggggggggg

7. Bear macrumors G3

Did you insert the memory properly? And into the correct slots?

8. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I broke out the manual just to make sure. And tried all other combos to think of. I even pulled the factory 2 256mb sticks out and put the new 2 512mb sticks in by themselves and it still only showed them as 2 256mb sticks.........Guess I will have to call and try to swap for more ram. Even though I got the last one in stock today.

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

10. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

FWIW, I had a stick (PNY) go bad that I bought in Dec. it lasted 2 days then that was it, it went bad :mad: Sorry to hear what happened to you.

12. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

I will call comp today and tell them the deal. I hope they have some more in so that I could at least change it out. At least now I have 1 gig showing up on my powermac and things are a little faster and I really do not know if having 1.5 will tell much diff. Thanks Everyone!!