WTF? Stupid VLC! (.avi playback problems)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Josias, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

[​IMG]
    Well, the image speaks for itself. This annoying green line is there every time I play this particular .avi file. It is "Dave Matthews Band - Storytellers (VH1)", which I downloaded from the FTP Server www.score1more4me.com, through a trial version of the FTP program Fetch. The file is 709.1 MB, and is downloaded fully and 100%. I had no problems getting this through CuteFTP on my old windows can. My brother downloaded the exact same file on his iBook also through a trial version of Fetch, and is also playing it in VLC, no problems.:confused:
    Now you may say:
    [​IMG]
    But I have asked many people wot to do, and no one could help me!:( :D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried playing your brother's version on your own Mac? :)

3. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

^ Or tried a different VLC version (ex. a nightly build)?

4. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

No, I haven't tried either of these, but I will very soon. If it is my file, I'll just get my brother's version. Right now I'm getting a 43.4 MB .avi file from same FTP server, through same FTP program, to find out if it was just this one file I was unlucky with, or if my MB/Fetch/VLC is cursed.:eek: :D

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I've seen this same problem reported on VLC forums. It seemed pretty widespread for particular codec(s). I don't remember all of the details, but you can follow it through this thread. The first post about green line issue is at page 7, when VLC for intel was still a beta. I don't know if they eventually found a solution, so you may need to look through quite a few pages.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=16725

6. zami macrumors regular

I too have had this green line problem, the solution is to use either MPlayer or XinePlayer. One or the other will play the file without the line.

7. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Can I have links to these?

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

This has happened to me also, except with asf or wmv files. If you use <a href=http://www.isquint.org>iSquint</a> to convert the files to MPEG they work fine in VLC.

9. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

If I use what ot convert them mpeg? I don't understand this code language...:D :confused:

10. CNU182 macrumors regular

11. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Why thankyou. It works perfectly!:D