WTF? This is weird!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 9, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/07/09/afghan.prison/index.html

What IS going on over there? :eek:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

who the heck were these guys? ex-military? or a couple of schmucks who up and went to afghanistan to "help out?"

and how much hate does one have to be filled w/ to do such a thing?

i await either the state dept or the WH to condemn this. i shall take breaths while i wait.

3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Oh my. How is this even happening? I'm pinching myself to see if I wake up. WTF are these American rednecks thinking; they can just go to the middle east and fight terrorism?

What gave these choads the notion to pull this kind of stunt? I am embarrassed to be called an American.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Does anyone really believe that these Americans were operating on their own?

Sounds like Black Ops to me.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It makes sense to me. It is the logical conclusion of the privatization of the military. We have to let these "free market" forces work to their natural conclusions and let the market sort our who is the better, most economical, and therefore more morally correct choice for conducting this war. I'm sure private jails are superior than those paid for by the government. If not they will quickly fail to entice their guests to stay and lose out to those better suited to torture efficiently. I don't understand your complaints, folks?

<caution, heavy amounts of sarcasm in use - hard hats required>

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Another Take

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=539445

Curiouser and curiouser. How many of these guys are out there? How much does the US know about them?

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This all reminds me of a few stories from back in the Afghan/Soviet War days where people could act out their fantasies admidst the "lawless frontier" of Peshewar/Northern Frontier...examples:

1) Koshiro Tanaka...a struggling Japanese businessman in his late-40's who had a sixth-degree black belt in karate. He believed that "since WWII, there has not been an honorable way for a Japanese man to die in the true Samurai spirit."

He set up shop in Peshewar and trained hundreds of Guerillas in hand-to-hand combat. Went on Rambo-style missions into Afghanistan, equipped with a Kalashnikov rifle, three tourniquets (as he commented "if all my limbs are cut, I am finished") and at least two grenades...one for throwing at the enemy, the other for killing himself (because " me being captured would be a diplomatic embarrasment to Japan."). He was still trying to kill a Russian w/ his bare hands.

2) An East-German refugee in his late-20's who came to Pakistan to "settle a score w/ the Russians". Had originally emigrated to West Germany after a brief stint in Prison for trying to scale the Berlin Wall. The East German government would not let him communicate w/ the rest of his family still in East Germany.

So he moved to Pakistan, converted to Islam and learned Puktu (afghani tongue). Fought alongside mujaddin, until he transferred to running the German Humanitarian Service in Afghanistan.

3)A London window-cleaner whose father bought him a one-way ticket to Peshewar. Around the local bars he would casually mention that he had "always wanted to kill someone".

Eventually he went on a "mission" w/ an obscure guerilla group, and was allowed to pull the trigger on a rocket-laucher aimed at a tent full of Afghan regime soldiers. After the explosion and the sight of the dead bodies, he flew home to London, his wife paying the ticket fare.

Point being, I feel a lot of "soldier of Fortune" types take it upon themselves to "fix the problem", or to just satisfy some urges.

From what I have heard, mercenaries are not particularily welcome, as Afghanis have no concept of paying someone to fight, although perhaps the ISI might...I will wonder about this for a while...very strange.