Wtf!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jeffx342, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

I just a Friggin 1Ghz Powerbook like a 3 weeks ago WTF, I called Apple Store and see if they had a Trade-IN policy. this is bullcrap I would have **Hapily** paid 300 buck more!

2. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Re: Wtf!

Why should they have a trade in policy? No one else does.

1. Sell it on ebay immediately.
    2. Pay a little more for the 17" one.

3. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Re: Re: Wtf!

Do you carry your TiBook with you? if so, wait to see the 17"-er before making your decision. It won't fit in any normal bag that you generally use for your laptop...or even briefcase, backpack etc. If you use it at home and leave it home...sell your 15"-er and grab it. I'm gonna get a 12" model.

4. cliffm macrumors member

cliffm

I was actually thinking the same thing until I looked at the specs closely. I purchased a new Brenthaven T2 backpack to carry the PowerBook I ordered. It was delayed (thank god) and now I'm cancelling and ordering a 17". After measuring the sleeve inside tha backpack, it looks like the new Power Book will still fit:

Size and weight (15-inch models)
    Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
    Width: 13.4 inches (34.1 cm)
    Depth: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
    Weight: 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (8)

Size and weight (17-inch model)
    Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
    Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)
    Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
    Weight: 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (8)

Sweet,

Now what about my RadTech Sleeve :confused:

Prob Not :( Hopefully they will exchange it.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, why are the Rumors site in first place? To have information before making a desition.

It is always know in human history that the better deals comes after chritsmas sales!!!

Sell the Ti and get a new iBook, they are way too cool.:)

6. Recoil macrumors newbie

BEND OVER AND LET STEVE JOBS GET YA SOME MORE!!!!

7. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

Originally posted by Jeffx342
    I just a Friggin 1Ghz Powerbook like a 3 weeks ago WTF, I called Apple Store and see if they had a Trade-IN policy. this is bullcrap I would have **Hapily** paid 300 buck more!

youve nearly mirrored my post under someones f-steve jobs thread... i also feel like i got bent over with my powerbook which is less than a month old... but after A LOT of bitching and whining and complaining, i realized that my powerbook is the most amazing piece of machinery i own and im proud as f--- to own it... so dont sweat it dude, have a smoke and a scotch and watch a dvd on your bad assed laptop....

8. diorio macrumors 6502a

You're an idiot, shut up.:rolleyes:

9. insidedanshead macrumors regular

you guys truly are newbs.. real mac users don't buy before expos.. just some future advice

10. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Wtf!

Yes, the 17" is a monster. I would have gotten the 12" model if it was out a month ago when I got my 15" but now I wouldn't since I use the pc card slot now.

11. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Best post... EVER!

Fact is, no one saw this update coming. A week ago no one would have thought it possible, and I'm completely shocked by it. On January 23rd, I walked out of the Apple Easton store, SO close to buying a 1Ghz Ti - I only waited to see if there was any 970 news today (something else I would need to wait for). If anyone has a reason to be pissed, these guys do, that said... they need to deal with it, its part of being a mac user! :)

12. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Why did you walk out of the future? and if you were in the future, how come you didn't tell us about these updates?

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Let me say this: I would be mad if i just got a ghz powerbook too... but it might provide you a little bit of comfort to realize this:

If you bought a 17'' powerbook today, you woudlnt have it today, you would probably not have it for another 3-4 weeks, and you have already had your current one 3 weeks. Thats 1-2 months you got to enjoy an awesome ghz powerbook!

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Except no one really expected the Powerbooks to receive such a substancial update.

Everyone thought the iMac/eMac line would be updated, not the laptops.

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...3 or 4 weeks? he said shipping next month, which in apple-speak means end of february.....also...the "old" pb's have dropped in price today too..$200 less on the 15" 1GB.....oh yeah!

16. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

So they are still selling the old ones right? Well they don't have DDR, are covered in old fashioned gray paint and made of a heavier material, who will buy 'em unless they drop the price way down?

Also I'm a bit dissappointed with the specs of the 12". I want it so bad but its not nearly as fast as the 17" and has no DVI or level 3 cache, which basically makes it useless for audio work.

:-(

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

guess i'll just stick to my brand new powermac, Although i do feel like its kinda old now that I don't have firewire 2 on it! (not that I need it at the moment)

18. medea macrumors 68030

medea

PC companies update their products every day with newer and better features, no one complains there, Apple brings out a new product and people curse the hell out of them. What do you expect, Apple to never bring out anything new?

19. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I didn't realize there is no level 3 cache...the 12" PowerBook is basically an updated G4 iBook really...just a little nicer package.

However, I think the statement above is a little much...I do audio work and I can definetly get away with the 12" PowerBook. Remember, most if not all PC laptops don't have a L3 cache or DVI.

20. losfp macrumors regular

What's DVI got to do with AUDIO work?

Audio sounds pretty much the same whether you're viewing the waveform on a digital or analog display ;-)

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

every time i see the letters WTF? i know that the following post is going to be sophomoric whining. This thread is proof. why don't you call steve jobs and tell him never to update products again, because you wont have the fastest machine. what a joke.

the current trend of users to buy things, and then whine about it after that product line gets an update, is ridiculous. if i bought a new car, then went back complaining when the next model came out, they'd laugh me right out of the store. You got off lucky if the apple store people didn't tell you to go **** yourself.

:)
    pnw

22. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

You can use dual displays if you're working with multiple programs for audio ie plug-in instr., plug in effects, audio editor, sequencer etc...however, it is not the end of the world that a 12" notebook doesn't have this...it's main purpose is portability...you will not be bringing your cinema display with you on the road.

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Wtf!

I hate to be blunt about this, but:

Number 1: Upon purchasing and using Apple's products, I think there is a section on the User's Agreement of Product Usage somewhere on the License, which basically says Apple cannot be held responsible for any unreliabilities, since you are the one to be responsible to understand that. That's part of the reason you legally own an Apple computer.

Number 2: In response to this "Trade-IN policy" you develop, I am reminded of something MacSlut said a while back in a very similar situation. If there was such a policy, however, and it went for three weeks, what would those, who bought a Powerbook four weeks before the Expo, think? Therefore, if that policy is extended to four weeks, what do the people, who bought a Powerbook five weeks before the Expo, think? The sixth week? The seventh week? The chain is endless, and is not worth it.

But, above all else, Jeff...

Number 3: It is YOUR responsibility to find out about any expo's, rumors, etc. and to consider your other options for buying around Expos. If you did not realize this, then T.S. The world is not going to remind every single Mac user there will be an expo in some number of weeks. You have to find out some information for yourself. If you make the wrong assumptions about powerbooks at a certain expo, then you assumed incorrectly. Apple is not at fault. The world is not at fault. You are, and YOU must realize this before you start spending your money.

24. losfp macrumors regular

Fair point - However the new 12" PB DOES support dual displays out of the box, which is one up on the iBooks (I know there's a hack, but I don't trust it).. So you can still hook up a big ass monitor for the mixers (which I can understand, I have done a little bit of multitracking before). for me, if I'm portable, I want the smallest package I can get.

The only downside is that you can't connect an apple display, but maybe that is a good thing - less temptation.. :D

25. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I want the smallest package as well...I could care less about an external monitor...I don't even own one...Apple does make some nice ones though.