Wut the heck is up with aiplanes....

Discussion in 'Community' started by NusuniAdmin, Aug 23, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

wut the heck is up with airplanes nowadays. They sound like they are crashing whenever they goto land (there is an airport a few minutes from here). They never sounded like this before last year. Wut the heck?

Just for kicks When i remember to i will record the sound and post it online.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    what kind of planes are they?

i work right next to LAX.. and i haven't heard anything that resembles a crash.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

It could be that because of increase air traffic, and the desire to get more planes in and out of airports these days, they come in faster and slow down more "at the last minute." Which means the engines will often times sound like they're almost shutting down as the planes quickly decrease speed from 250 or 290 knots to 170 knots for landing.

4. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

what airport? it's possible that some carrier added or changed their routes, and so a new type of plane is being flown in. or perhaps the approaches were changed and so planes are flying closer to you now.

5. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

They have always flown right over us. But they most definitly are sick sounding planes. Only things i can figure are, #1 newer faster louder planes; #2 they are flying lower; #3....TERRORISTS AHHHHH (j/k)

In case your wondering the airport is syracuse hancock international airport in beautful syracuse NY (thats definitly an oxymoron)

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What kind of sound (or lack thereof) are you talking about?

Sushi

7. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Route change.

Here in CT they have changed the approach routes to some of the airports to keep them away from "critical" spots (oil/gas storage facilities etc...) so we have an increase in traffic comming in at lower altitudes. The first time we saw one of the larger jets go overhead, we thought they were headed for a crash landing. I swear I could almost see into the cabin they were so low. The other day I saw a jet pass by several times before he made his final approach. It looked like he was having trouble finding the runway.

BubbaJones

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I was on a flight to Boston a few days ago, and due to the bad weather, the plane had to circle around in the sky for 10 or so minutes before it landed. Im sure it must have been annoying for people on the ground because the plane was so low.

The only reason I can think of is increased traffic and bigger planes at the airport.

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Relax. You're probably just noticing an increase in the use of thrust-reversers after touchdown to slow the aircraft down. There could be a lot of reasons for this - perhaps they're using a different/shorter runway, so they need to supplement regular braking; perhaps a different airline or a change in an airline's operating procedure to use reverse-thrust on all landings; perhaps wet weather is reducing braking action requiring supplemental braking; etc.

Your #1 is impossible because newer aircraft must meet more stringent noise regulations, and your #2 is impossble because approaches to airports are designed to have aircraft at certain altitudes at certain points for efficiency/safety/obstacle clearance, so airliners would not be 'flying lower' of their own accord.

See:
    http://travel.howstuffworks.com/airplane.htm
    http://travel.howstuffworks.com/turbine.htm
    http://travel.howstuffworks.com/air-traffic-control.htm

...and for a photo what a thrust-reverser looks like, see:
    http://www.robl.w1.com/Pix-4/I-970493.htm

10. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Well it is very possible that they may have built a new runway or may be using one that they did not use that much before. If they had one that wus to the south then it is very possible the planes may be flying lower due to the fact they wouldn't need to fly around the aiport and such to land.

Im just saying its an absolutly horrible sound and actually hurts my ears sometimes. And it started up about a year ago.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Baron58, by your name it is obvious that you too are a pilot. I make my living as one. Previous Naval Aviator, some airline, now corporate. You're post is one the mark, but..

For those of you who bought or live near an airport, there are airplanes there and they can be loud. If you are considering buying near an airport, look at the future development plans for that airport. Often, not always, they have proposed expansion plans, albeit 25+years old.

No one likes the noise of airports yet they move next to one and then try and rearrange everything to make it quiter because they live there now.

If you hate waiting forever in line for a plane, don't know why there is limited service to places, or are generally fed up with the lack of choice in where you can fly from or too...you can PARTIALLY blame local nuts who moved next to an airport and discovered it was noisy. When you rearrange arrival and departure corridors you OFTEN effect safety, efficiency, as well as consumer choice.

I am sorry that it is noisy near airports, manufacturers are attempting and providing newer, quiter, more effecient airplanes, but it will be noisy near airports, highways, manuf. plants, smelly near garbage dumps, highways, manuf. plants.

I am constantly pulling power back to safe but less than max-safe levels after takeoff at certain airports so not to bother the guy who didn't know it was noisy near airports, and is mad because he doesn't like the noise!

I believe there are credible arguments to improve on products, manuf. pollutants, noise pollutants. In aviation the way to improve noise is in product design, not the usual noise abatement procedures.

12. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I really dont live near the airport its approx 20-30 minutes away but it is still wayyy to friggin loud here. We have an average of about 3 airplanes an hour go overhead..which is really ridiculous. (i live in the country)

By the way, since it seems some of you are pilots or wutever how do you feel about charging those fat people that take up 2 seats for 2 tickets. I say we charge em. There is absolutely nothing worse than getting stuck in a seat next to a really obese person and have half their gut crush you.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

it will be noisy within 15 miles of an airport. Get a map and compass and do the math. It might be noisier farther out if you are now under the only corridor to the airport due to routing changes to reduce noise closer in.

While I could easy lose a load of fat, I believe it to be ok. Sorry for those who disagree.

In aviation, wieght is paramount, not that fatties cause airliners to be overwieght. Airlines use a measure called load factor (how full the seats are at takeoff in %) and seat miles (180 seats going 100 miles = 18,000 seat miles). While bigger seats might get more passengers, it effects capacity in load factor and seat miles. Too low of load factors mean they will start using a smaller airplane on that route.

It is a delicate balance, I don't know where the standard should be drawn, but I have no problem with the argument/policy though.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What airport is it?

15. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I already posted that in a above Messege, syracuse hancock international airport

16. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

At a smaller airport like Syracuse, it could be that some carrier just transitioned from turboprops to regional jets. Or someone flying larger planes just began service. Doesn't JetBlue fly there? Not sure when they began service, but it's probably recent. Perhaps they're the first carrier in a while to fly something a320-sized into that airport.

17. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

ya jetblue does fly there. I guess that could be it, but i am almost positive they have been flying there for less than a year, and this has been going on for at least a year.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are so right on. I live near Dulles Airport. And before I bought I looked at the plans for the airport.

I am lucky that it would require a major land buy in order to have a runway that would be over my home. And would more than likely require moving US Route 50.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry my bad, I scanned your messages before asking and missed it.....

The airport has only two active runways according the their site:

http://www.syrairport.org/about/hancockfield/fieldspecs.cfm

The airport code is SYR. You can go to Yahoo maps and pull up the map of the airport:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?z...=s&rezoom=0&.intl=us&compass=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0

You can further zoom out to find your neighborhood. It may give you a better idea of the flight paths.

Also, do not hesitate to call the Airport Operations about the noise and your concerns. At least in this area, Operations are generally helpful in talking with the community.

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

im no expert.. and im going strictly by what i've heard/felt... but 2 F-15's are significantly louder than a single loaded 747 cargo taking off/landing.

hence my earlier question.

21. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Thats ok, everyone does that nowadays...all those da**ed loud airplanes break our concentration :p

22. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Ha, yeah, I don't think the airplanes are getting louder (but that's been covered). Apparently they closed one runway in Long Beach (CA, but I don't know its letters), and just re-opened it. It's so weird when you grow up hearing the sound of airplanes, you're so used to it. But you can notice a change too, ie, new carrier or something. I remember when JetBlue started up, they fly into LB and you could hear the sound difference. Thankfully, they come into a different runway than the one used by planes flying over my house.
    –Chase

23. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Long Beach is LGB. :)
    -----------------------

There are certain jets that come in on the on runways that sound like they're rumbling instead of roaring... i can never get over to that side of the building in time to see what they are, but im thinking that's it.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

{please note that I added comments to the original response}

I am lucky that I live within the "V" of the two approaches. So noise is that much of an issue for me. The only issue that I have is that evidently at least one of the airlines has a maintenance facility at Dulles. For some evenings I hear them wind up the engines for testing evidently, since it is not a take-off rev up.

A side story. I learned my lesson about airports and noise (and safety) when I stayed with some friends near Dulles back in the early '90's. They lived in a Mobile Home Park (sort cute, all the streets were named after airlines) that was in the path of the runway. Generally not that bad, except during the blizzard that year. Turns out that a Lufthansa 747 (did some calling on that one) had the last slot before the airport was shutdown for the blizzard. And the pilot was determined to get out. Well evidently he had some problems with icing or something. I could swear that he was just a 100 or so feet over the rooftop. I was never so afraid in my life!

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Know what you mean there. My HS years were spent working at Andrews AFB Base Exchange. It was located right next to the flight line. So jets and helicopters were always overhead. Years later I worked at a store in Arlington, VA. One day everyone was rushing out to the parking lot. One of my co-workers asked why I wasn't going out to see the Medi-Vac helicopter using our parking lot. I said, "what helicopter?", never really noticed the noise.