ww2 online

Discussion in 'Games' started by bokdol, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

anyone play ww2 online? i just went to the site and it looked intresting... just wanted to know what people think?

2. bgarry macrumors newbie

This game rocks!! Been playing for almost 4 years now and I have never stopped!!!

Couple things to know before you jump in:

- It isn't BF1942/COD/Halo/Doom etc.. It is much more of simulation

- You will need a joystick if you plan on doing anything other than infantry

- The graphics aren't great but the gameplay kicks butt

- Beyond the spawn in screen the game has no loading screens....EVER

- The map is huge and can take up to 1.5 hours to FLY ACROSS at 220 knots/hour

- Mobile Spawn Points help infantry players get to the fight quicker than running from the spawn (typically about a 10-15 min run if no MSP - but that should just make living a higher priority!!!!!)

- There will be spells of boredom but great moments of adrenaline rush

- There is a big learning curve that might frustrate a n00b

- There is a great community that will always have people willing to help said n00b

- You can play British, French or German

- You can play Army, Airforce, or Navy

- You can switch branches of the armed forces at any time but not switch sides (allies --> axis) for a couple hours of real time. (to avoid spys)

- There is a player led High Command in charge of strategic decisions such as researching new vehicles and placing targets for the playerbase to attack/defend

- There is a ton of equipment to play with...infantry, tanks, fighters, bombers, destroyers, paratroopers....

- It is more often than not a thnking mans game. "Twitch" players may find success in the short term but using cover, diversions, ambushes, teamwork and common sense will always win in this game in the long run.

- There are squads (guilds) that are always recruiting or you can lonewolf it if you don't like playing with others.

Shameless plug for my squad
    http://www.armyhelo.com/jaguar

- Realistic ballistics for all weapons and realistic armor for all vehicles.

- No uber weapons (unless you count the Tiger tank)

- Rank gives you access to more and better equipment (kills and rtb's give you rank)

Whether you like to fly, sail, tank, or pound the ground you will find something to do in this game.

Give it a try - you get 30 days free with download and they offer free trials every now and again. Works great on a G5 dual 2.5 (gig of Ram) and a DSL connection. Bet if you like any war sims and you give this game 20 hours of play you will be hooked like I am.

Game name is bgarry and I usually play PST timezones -- if u join up give me a shout!!!

3. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

thanks for the info... really makes me want to play.... are there snipers? i always wanted to be a sniper in ww2... sounds like a fun game... well i am going to look at it some more... i wish i could see video of people playing so i can see what it is like my self... thanks again for info

4. bgarry macrumors newbie

There are no snipers per say as scoped weapons have not been modeled into the game yet. You can however, with practice and patience, kill infantry at 500m or further away. (That puts them about 5 pixels tall btw) Most of the hardcore rifleman in game will say scopes aren't needed but there is also a contigent that has been trying to get them in game for a long time now.

As for movies of the game check out snoop's website - he makes many training videos for the game. Some of the older one's are outdated as the UI and graphics have improved but they should still give you a good sense of what the game plays like.

http://www.snoopstuff.com/

Hope to see you in game!!!