WWDC 05 Stream Crashing QT7.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lz0, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Lz0 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't seen to watch the WWDC 2005 Keynote Address by Steve because it just crashed QuickTime 7.1.

It buffers for a few seconds - plays - then when it tries to buffer again - FROZEN. I've tried it a few times now.

Anyone having this problem?

Try it ->> http://stream.apple.akadns.net/
  2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    1) Download it
    2) Wait for it to fully load... i.e., click it, go to bed, wake up and watch it
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    I watched it from beginning to end. I had no problems at all. Streaming H.264 really is lovely.
  4. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    It was great. Quality way better than previous broadcasts.
  5. starcrossed macrumors regular

May 3, 2003
    San Antonio,TX
    i'm having the same problem on my computer. i click the link and quicktime loads and plays the first few seconds and crashes everytime. i thought it maybe it would be fixed if i update quicktime 7 to 7.0.1, which i did and repaired permissions, and still no luck. i check the system report and it keeps mentioning h.264, so could it be that my computer is struggling like it will with the high-def quicktime trailers Apple has now in h.264, i know it doesn't make sense for Apple to alienate a big chunk of users using a high codec, but offering any lower quality stream. i just wish apple would let us download the file but unfortunatly no. so does anyone have any suggestions to fix this. by the way i am on a powerbook 1.5hgz G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.1, Quicktime 7.0.1, and on a moderate DSL connection.
  6. virus1 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    simalar prob here. it is just real slow after i pause it. then the audio gets off from the video. i think the problem is my 1ghz pb is too slow to decode h264 on the fly.. that sucks..
  7. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I had the same prob as well, after 15 seconds it would just freeze up. At first I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I just recently installed Real player (blame bbc.com), at least I know others are having similar problems. Ended up watching the keynote on an Windows machine, which I haven't booted up in months... :rolleyes:
  8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    I had this problem at first.

All you have to do is go into Quicktime Preferences and change the streaming speed from "Automatic" to whatever your connection speed is. That's what I did and it worked fine. :)

Thanks to abrooks for this solution.
  9. 4God macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac

Download? How? When I click on the link, it just streams.
  10. BartoK macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm having the same problem!

11. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Heck Yes it is! I can get a full screen and have it good/great resolution.
  12. robinmurphy macrumors member

Apr 5, 2005
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Yeh, the new H.264 stream is much better than the previous ones. It resizes really well and you can actually read what's on the presentation. I did have a problem getting my iBook to load the highest quality version, but now they have made it so you can choose which one to watch I have no problems.

One question to people getting this problem with a crash, are you using Panther or Tiger, because people I have asked using Panther have had no porblems, but the one tiger user I asked had the crash.
  13. raiempire macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2005
    having same problem on my ibook laptop. It starts for about 5-10secs then video and sound go off sync, and i just get 2sec sound bites every 30secs.

The internet connection is not the problem, have no problem seeing other streaming video.

As to the question above yeah i using tiger :eek:
  14. Mr LuLu macrumors member

Jun 11, 2005
    I had this problem. It stopped after 4 seconds on both my Mac and the pc in the corner.
    I know it's a bit extreme but I ditched AOL on the PC and hooked up using my router (not ICS) and it came through a treat first time!

Goddam AOL punks!

Did anybody else think it was a bit of a let down this year? The WWDC last year was one of the main reasons I bought my Mac!
  15. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
  16. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Did they change the stream. When I watched it on Monday of the release the video looked like the old videos. Now looking at it I can choose the video quality and looks much better then what I saw.

I ask this because I also had the problem of the video freezing. At exactly 15 seconds into the video Quicktime would crash. I had to watch the video on my PC with Quicktime 6.
  17. Mr LuLu macrumors member

Jun 11, 2005
    I watched it first on my pc after trouble with AOL but when I watched it again this evening on the iMac it looked much better.
    I think H.264 is really gonna kick some arse.

We have all the best toys first! :D