WWDC 2006: Myths, Dreams, and Expectations

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shasta, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Shasta macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Upstate/Central NY
    WWDC 2006 Is Just Around the Corner!!

A few weeks later then normal, but we are now a few short days from unwrapping our big mac fan boy/girl present. The following comments are no more than speculation and wishing, but I think I am bound to get something right :D

so here we go!
    Powerbook G5: Ok seriously, we are not going to see anymore Power PC based Macs. Steve and therefor Apple is done with them. In the future they may win us back with some crazy 56core 9Ghz processor that runs on fairy dust and the tears of children but for the long term that part of history is OVER!

iPhone: Yes, there are many Many MANY reports that this Adonis of modern technology will come to fruition but not at WWDC, if there is some phone out there it will have its own event.

iTablet: Yes, I want it, you want it, my neighbor Phil wants it. However Steve doesn't. We lose. The current state of the Tablet technology is confused. Maybe 2% of all portable computer buyers want a tablet, but that would only equate to about 30,000 a quarter. Not strong enough to really make up for all the R and D, specialized programming and the marketing campaign to get it out there. Besides, UMPC's look kind of cool but they are a year or two away from being anything more than an over-sized PDA

iPod: Everyone knows there is going to be another model coming up. Metal nano? HiDef 6G? iPod flea? This event is for developers, and unless Apple is opening up the iPod UI for 3rd party apps it isn't going to be shown at WWDC

iHave nothing else to add. NEXT!

New Displays: The current cinemas are a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking Same sizes plus a sleek 17" all with built in iSights and widescreen. Prices will be lowered slightly to make them more competitive with similar offerings of other companies (Dell, Benq)

Price Drops: I don't expect any redesigns with the non-pro level computers, but Intel recently dropped the price on their Core Duo chips. As much as Apple loves high margins I think they will be able to afford to shave a bill or two off of the price of their machines.

Free Candy and Naked Women: Not really WWDC related but seriously, these things happen while dreaming.

OSX 10.5: This was already promised to us, so this one is a no brainer. It will be loaded with new features and cool things I cannot even pretend to understand or guess at.

New Hardware: Pro Macs, X Serves, MacBook Pros, these are all being revamped and Awesomed. Pro Macs and X Serves are going to get speedy Intel chips and smoking case redesigns. MacBook Pros are going to get Core 2 Duo chips, a magnetic latch, and something else so cool I can't even think of it.

See you guys in a few days, all we can do now is wait.

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    I think your expectations are correct. But I think the MBP will get a slight case redesign, as was the iBook to MacBook.
  3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Wow, can it be, and actually well-thought out, edcucated and down-to-earth post about WWDC? There's even mention of naken women!!!! Yay for you for not succumbing to the madness!!!
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I am sure we will see new displays with built in iSight, but 17" screen's are unlikely as Apple would have too many cheap competitors to deal with as well as putting people off iMac's......They would be awesome though imagine a 17" widescreen at a good price with a sweet design they'd be BIG sellers....