WWDC 2007 'Save the Date' Invites with Leopard Theme

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Following the news that Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference will take place Jun 11-15th this year, Apple has sent out WWDC "Save the Date" invitations to developers with a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard theme:

The invitation reflects a Time Machine theme - a feature to be introduced in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Apple provided a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard preview at last year's WWDC and has promised a Spring 2007 release.
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2006
  3. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2003
    Will there be a keynote?

What would Jobs talk about if there were a keynote and Leopard was already shipped?
  4. macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2003
    I hope the new time machine looks like that. That's a nice clean-up of the beta.

I really, really hope Leopard is stellar.

Tiger was a tad bit lack luster. Apple has had a ton of time to code and test. I hope we see incredible features across the board.
  5. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2003
    Unparalleled, eh?

Maybe this indicates an Apple-developed replacement for Parallels...

6. macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    East Lansing, Michigan
    The dates aren't highlighted in blue, they're highlighted in SHINY BLACK!!!!!!!!!!

Teh MAC's new user interface is HERE!!!111

PS: Yeah Time Machine looks much better, could be a rendering, but it wouldn't suprise me if they cleaned it up to look prettier with their few months.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2005
    June 15th - WWDC?
    June 15th - iPhone?
    Not June 15th - Leopard?
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    I hope Leopard is stellar too, but Tiger is amazing. Spotlight, widgets! both huge additions.
  9. macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    are you serious? i can't wait until June for a keynote.
  10. macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    If they wait till June then Leopard better kick some major butt. Doesn't bode well with my planned school purchase either.:(
  11. macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I just got my email notice and came here to post it....too late :p.

Looks like fun to me.
  12. macrumors member

Dec 29, 2004
    D'yall think that metal appearance will be the system-wide theme?
  13. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
  14. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Mar 4, 2003
    Second week of June is technically still Spring, isn't it... Argh.

Is it just me or are we looking at a really boring first six months of '07?

Too bad that invite isn't interactive or we could look back at earlier version of the calendar and see how their plans changed.
  15. macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    There will be a keynote. It's basically a given at these events.
  16. macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Save the date?

Save the cheerleader. Save the world. :)

These Apple marketers must be fans of Heroes. So it begs the question why they chose to go with the Time Machine theme.
  17. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Mar 4, 2003
    I think summer starts at the solstice-- June 20 or 21.
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2006
    Can't Wait!

So many possibilities as to what will be released during the conference!
    Now this event sounds like it could be, "BigandTasty" ;)
  19. Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Correct, so WWDC 2007 actually takes place in spring.

As for the UI depicted in that invite: I'm hoping we find it unified throughout the entire system.
  20. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2002
    I'm assuming that the grey part of the calendar is what the windows will look like.
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2002
    Soldotna, Alaska
    How is it any different? The only difference I can see is that the arrows and timeline aren't showing.
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2005
    Uh, what does WWDC have to do with the release of Leopard? They're two separate things. Tiger was released in "spring" 2005 (late April), and WWDC'05 was also in "spring" 2005 (early June). The presumption has long been that, like two years ago, the new operating system would be available long before WWDC. There is nothing to contradict that as yet.

Why? Just curious, because I see this sentiment a lot, and it makes no sense to me. I find a handful of different, but complimentary UI styles on the same system to be a boon to productivity. Apps that do different things should look different. I would hate to go into Exposé and have to take more than a split second to distinguish one app from the other.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005
    This is bullcrap. I'm not waiting until friggin June for Leopard. Not happening.

My friend that works for Apple has a friend that works in software down on the Loop and from what he's telling me, Leopard is not far off. He doesn't go into specifics, but it's definitely looking like some time before April. As for an early iPhone release, who knows. I would like to see it in April too, but if that happened, what would they announce at WWDC? Maybe a new Mac design?

Personally, I still have my heart set on a February event for Leopard, iLife, iWork and possibly a "One more thing..." wide-screen iPod.

So timeline: February 20th is Leopard, iLife, iWork, and Video iPod. WWDC is iPhone, new Mac(s) and um... ponies. iPonies.

Mark my words, this is what will happen (maybe not the iPonies though)
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    I was looking again at the preview of leopard on apple's page. Did they use to have a video for every new feature? if they did, some of them , eg Ical, are not there anymore.

I just hope I won't have to buy a new mac after leopard... I just have this (irrational?) feeling that apple's new tricks will stretch my imac...I would hate that.
  25. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Summer doesn't begin until the Summer Solstice (longest day of the year) when the pole is at it's closest to the sun.

This occurs in the northern hemisphere around the 3rd week of June and in the southern hemisphere where I am in the 3rd week of December.

So while it's convenient for us to think of the seasons starting and ending with the months the actual seasons don't quite behave the way we think.

Then as the pole starts to swing away from the sun the days get shorter until the orientation of the poles is at a tangent to our orbit - these are the vernal/autumnal equinoxes when the length of daylight and night is exactly the same. This occurs during the 3rd week of march for the northern spring/southern autumn and the 3rd week of september for the northern autumn/southern spring.

So yeah, now you know.