Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
IMHO the ONLY reason the WWDC was announced yesterday was because ( don't laugh ) the exact dates were leaked earlier.Jobs hates when that happens.It has nothing to do with the deal between the two Apples.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I was looking again at the preview of leopard on apple's page. Did they use to have a video for every new feature? if they did, some of them , eg Ical, are not there anymore.

I just hope I won't have to buy a new mac after leopard... I just have this (irrational?) feeling that apple's new tricks will stretch my imac...I would hate that.

There was not a video for ALL the features... Core Animation, Spotlight didn't have a video and I don't think iCal was even one of the "features". iCal is probably one of the worst Apps included in OS X... lame.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
whatever, I can totally wait.

When Tiger came out there were SO many threads about...wa wa Tiger screwed up this, and Tiger screwed up that....so I don't know what all the rush is about.

For the record my Tiger experience has been smooth sailing from 10.4 on.

Now what about iLife 07....or maybe they should call it iLife 07.5 cuz that's what it's gonna be soon. :rolleyes:

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
https://www.macrumors.com
Apple. . .has promised a Spring 2007 release.

Spring 2007 means sometime before the summer solstice which means anytime after 20 March 2007 and before 21 June 2007. Leopard could be released at WWDC 2007 and still technically be released in the Spring of 2007. I won't be holding my breath till then.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Chundles, I think your sarcasm detector needs re-calibrating.;)

It's 3:30am and I'm trying to get my apartment packed by 8am - my sarcasm meter has been turned off for the duration of the move.

Just be careful because the longer it's turned off the more devastating the result when switched back on.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
Is the the bottom of http://www.apple.com/ redesigned or am I going crazy? :confused:

Leopardish? maybe?

yeah, I think your right. I'm really diggin' the overall darker tone of Apple's UI these days. The super simple, black and white inner-app floating tools like in QT Pro, and full-screen mode in iPhoto do a great job of spotlighting, or rather not distracting from your the video and photos. I hope that Final Cut Pro gets a Aperture style makeover. It's floating, modular feel is a-ok in my book.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
:( I was hoping for an earlier release than June... as long as it's stable and ready to use, I guess that is what matters most. Now as for iLife, I better not have to wait that long! Come on, Apple. I need iLife updates!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
IMHO the ONLY reason the WWDC was announced yesterday was because ( don't laugh ) the exact dates were leaked earlier.Jobs hates when that happens.

Hmmmm, does any one else think Steve Jobs has a bit of OCD/control issues? :p

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
:( I was hoping for an earlier release than June... as long as it's stable and ready to use, I guess that is what matters most. Now as for iLife, I better not have to wait that long! Come on, Apple. I need iLife updates!

you're gonna have to wait.I firmly believe iLife07' is an integral part of Leopard.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006

Unfort I have the sense iLife, iWork and Leopard will all be released together in June, as they most likely have similar new qualities and features that Mr. Jobs wants hidden for a big reveal...

On another note, that WWDC invite looks like something out of a Star Trek convention. Any one else a little weary that the new OS interface will look a bit freakish if it is in line with Time Machine and said invite? :eek:

sachamun

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
A bit off-topic, but...

...before Paul and Ringo demonstrate GarageBand's new network (and time-delay compensation) international Jam feature. (i.e. you can collaborate on sessions live over the internet, and Garageband compensates for the time delay.)

Well 'jamming' - no.
You can't make time happen faster than it does, which is what garageband would have to do to jam in real-time.
Even small amounts of data such as midi streams have latencies that make live jamming impossible. Large amounts of data, like multiple streams of full quality audio are not even close to practical. I know a guy here in Brisbane who, some years ago - I think early 90s, worked on developing a midi jam program (complete with animated 3D figurines of the players!!), but of course the connection speeds back then were a huge bottleneck. He said if he's going to venture into it again, it would be a more multimedia - focused concert, with the musical interaction limited to more textural and harmonic ideas, rather than rhythmic stuff, which would be ruined by lag.

HOWEVER...your garageband idea is interesting in that near-live streaming could be harnessed for recording purposes, where real-time interaction isn't necessary, but a constant, reliable audio stream is.
It'd basically be skype, but much higher quality.
Some time off I think, but recording a drum track in Brisbane for a Sydney studio who receives and syncs the audio seconds later would be real hip. (I'm a drummer btw)

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
The graphic is indeed extremely star-trekky...too bad the theme song now reminds me of that hummer commercial...

But please please please don't let iphone hijack WWDC...I know it says 'developer', but i'm still concerned. Widescreen ipod? sure, introduce that, but I'll probably never have $500 for a phone

If leopard isn't released until june it would be...lousy, but as long as it doesn't disappoint on features and does away with the godawful gumdrop-traffic light buttons, I'll still love ol' stevie.

by june i might finally be able to afford a mac pro, so i suppose it might be nice timing. lower that generic 4 core MP to $2000 by then and i might even try aperture instead of lightroom.

I bet i'd be more bitter if i made more money and could afford that mac pro today.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What is more interesting is the iCal icon in the dock doesn't have a triangle under it, even though the image shows it running. i know it could have easily been PSed with the same basic desktop as a background. But that seems to be a lack of attention to detail.

iChat can be signed on, but the program itself closed. If someone IM's you, it automatically opens iChat and displays the IM. It's been in OS X since at least 10.3

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
Panther's secret features?

I can post you detailed screen grabs of every single one of Panther's flagship features.

Anyone can really, it's a few years old now.

D'oh, oops, you know what I meant.

Anyway, as long as Leopard is shipping by August 15, along with updated MacBooks with GMA3000 I will be happy. I need a new laptop for school and MacBooks should be updated around April - June timeframe.

Maybe aluminum MacBooks, in all the iPod colors, oooh...

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Does this mean the beginning of "Should I wait until June...?" threads!
Start your typing!

I am gonna wait anyways till June to get my iMac, if I can wait that long. I feel like they will release these things before June and touch base with them in June. With news like this, Apple wouldn't want to lose possible sales and "switchers" to Vista because people got tired of waiting for Apple's new releases. If anything, June will show some updates to the Pro's and maybe laptops/mini's but not the iMac. Those seem too new in hardware to have a bump (last september if I read correctly).

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
The graphic is indeed extremely star-trekky...

OMG! That's the clue!

As everyone knows, Star Trek was the code name for a version of Mac OS that would run on generic PCs in the early nineties. It was cancelled for various reasons.

This has to mean that they're releasing Mac OS X for generic PCs next Tuesday! Isn't it obvious?!!?!

Powerbook G5s and iPhones at WWDC!!!1!

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I think the delays have a lot to do with a planned migration to a multitouch UI. It should be evident to anyone who has closely studied Mac's product development cycles that Apple's iPhone is testing the waters of a very powerful type of user interface which allows gestures, sometimes referred to as "chording".

Think of the pre-crime computer in "Minority Report" minus the holography and gloves. That is where I believe Mac and Mac OS are headed very soon. Leopard may be the first significant step in the direction of EXACTLY that type of user interface. Jeff Han of NYU demonstrated this quite clearly at the TED conference with his live demonstration on large multitouch user interfaces that has been doing the rounds on YouTube.

At any rate, I've spoken with a few engineers, one of whom used to work for Apple, and they're not surprised that Apple may be testing prototypes of multitouch iMacs as we speak.

The patents are certainly in place, the UI definitely shows signs of moving toward a more three-dimensional design. It's just a matter of when the product will hit the market.

That announcement *could* come as early as WWDC. It's not at all inconceivable... the multitouch technology is already here. Apple's already releasing one product with it, and they started developing it several years ago... which means by now they're almost certainly testing prototypes of larger scale multitouch interfaces running OS prototypes.

Anyone who thinks they're not thinking this far ahead is easily forgetting how they stunned the world when they revealed, after announcing the Intel Macs, that OS X had already been coded as dual binaries since 10.1.

It certainly would explain a lot of the latency and secrecy around Leopard... and it fits with their product strategy.

Besides, Guy Kawasaki once said among their many other strengths, their strategic advantage is their focus industrial design... on just making "cool stuff" that people want to use. So, if the reason is as simple as "Multitouch, because we can"... Apple's there, and there's an ulterior motive that Steve Jobs has been gunning for ever since he came back on board. They could be preparing to leverage the Multitouch Mac as a deathblow in response to Microsoft's feeble attempt to catch up with Vista.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
so does this mean that leopard isn't coming out until june 11??? cuz thats gonna suck...i'm buying my mbp or whatever is top of the line at that time in like may or early june and i don't want the first one to come out...i wanna wait for them to work out the kinks

liutaio97

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
Well,
as shown on the title immagine you can see many months in the background. To be able to show this immage on a screen in June, Leopard has to be released pretty soon.

Just a thought...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well,
as shown on the title immagine you can see many months in the background. To be able to show this immage on a screen in June, Leopard has to be released pretty soon.

Just a thought...

Not true.

I use Leopard and can use Time Machine every month.Leopard for Devs has been out for a while now.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Summer doesn't begin until the Summer Solstice (longest day of the year) when the pole is at it's closest to the sun.

This occurs in the northern hemisphere around the 3rd week of June and in the southern hemisphere where I am in the 3rd week of December.

So while it's convenient for us to think of the seasons starting and ending with the months the actual seasons don't quite behave the way we think.

Then as the pole starts to swing away from the sun the days get shorter until the orientation of the poles is at a tangent to our orbit - these are the vernal/autumnal equinoxes when the length of daylight and night is exactly the same. This occurs during the 3rd week of march for the northern spring/southern autumn and the 3rd week of september for the northern autumn/southern spring.

So yeah, now you know.

Lol. You must like to type. ;)

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
if un parraless means apples came out with there own version with 3d graphics and all the features of bootcamp without dual boot 10.5 will be a definitlty be worth the wait till june for me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.