Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I haven't been impressed by an Apple keynote in years. Hopefully this one ends their streak.

Really? I found last year ended in quite the bang.

Anyways, I'll be doing spoiler free, the same as every year since... 2007? Sometime around then.

Some years I'm not as strict as others... IE, sometimes I find it acceptable to go on MacRumors and just go straight to the programming forums where I usually am when I'm not reading the news, but other times I find people are too quick to say "OMG, NEW SDK WITH FEATURES!"...

On that topic, sometimes I feel like I need to know about Apple's announcements ASAP so that I can get an app out utilizing those new features ASAP... but honestly, I don't think I've ever managed to utilize anything new quickly... I guess I was pretty quick adding notification center support to Battery Status? As I recall I actually installed the ML beta and had it running on the beta version and then I submitted a few days after ML was released publicly?

I wonder if my iMac will even be able to run the version of OS X that's getting announced... it's a 2007... I'm going to be quite bummed if it's at its end now... I can't afford to buy a newer computer yet...

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I haven't been impressed by an Apple keynote in years. Hopefully this one ends their streak.

I was blown away by the introduction of the rMBP at WWDC 2012. That was the most exciting product I've seen announced since the original iPad.

BTW just thought I'd throw out there that Craig Federighi (AKA Hair Force One) has excellent stage presence! Can't wait to see him do his thing on monday! He's the only one in the executive team that comes close to Jobs in terms of public speaking IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvXJg2P65zw

Last edited:

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
last years WWDC had a live stream... (introduction of the new rmbp)

so lets hope for that this year too...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Really? I found last year ended in quite the bang.

There was nothing about iOS 6 or even the iPhone 5 that made me want to spend any money. There was nothing that great, that different, or that mind blowing.

I was blown away by the introduction of the rMBP at WWDC 2012. That was the most exciting product I've seen announced since the original iPad.

After the iPhone 4 and iPad 3, a retina MBP made sense. Plus making it 100% SSD and taking away user-replaceable parts was obvious considering their MBA line.

Plus I bought a rMBP. The integrated graphics and GT 650M just couldn't properly handle the screen (kind of like the iPad 3, which I still have). I sold it a few weeks ago for multiple reasons.

Basically, Apple is becoming an extremely predictable company. But nowadays, most tech companies are like that. Google I/O was a disappointment. I am just hoping WWDC won't follow in their footsteps.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Ugh! I was using this site to judge when WWDC is for my timezone. They are WAY off. http://wwdccountdown.com I was all excited thinking it would be happening at lunch time where I am in Australia. Nope! 3AM tues morning now. Grr.

Yeah, that site is completely wrong; it places it at 1 pm Monday NZ time, instead of 5 am Tuesday :rolleyes:

Now, whether I can manage spoiler-free will depend on how much work I have on. If it's a slow day then it'll be easy to read the news...

gooberwilson

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2012
Canada
Thanks for posting this! I'm looking forward to my first spoiler free Apple keynote! I've never tried this in the past... we'll see how well I hold up. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There was nothing about iOS 6 or even the iPhone 5 that made me want to spend any money. There was nothing that great, that different, or that mind blowing.

After the iPhone 4 and iPad 3, a retina MBP made sense. Plus making it 100% SSD and taking away user-replaceable parts was obvious considering their MBA line.

Plus I bought a rMBP. The integrated graphics and GT 650M just couldn't properly handle the screen (kind of like the iPad 3, which I still have). I sold it a few weeks ago for multiple reasons.

Basically, Apple is becoming an extremely predictable company. But nowadays, most tech companies are like that. Google I/O was a disappointment. I am just hoping WWDC won't follow in their footsteps.

IDK, if they follow the predictable moves the keynote will be over in 40 minutes. Everything gets a spec bump. New prices. Done. Apple has a rule about introducing new products 40 minutes into the keynote - so obviously that's when they'll roll out something actually new and actually exciting and not very predictable.

okr

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
last years WWDC had a live stream... (introduction of the new rmbp)

so lets hope for that this year too...

Has anyone used http://m.ustream.tv/ltktv before? It seems like previous Keynotes have been streamed from this site, but I've never used it before: always streamed afterwards from the Apple website.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I've tried going spoiler free for years but only succeeded once. It just takes too long for the stream to become available and it's hard to resist. Who cares though, really? Watching the stream afterwards doesn't really take away any of the magic from the experience. You miss some of the instant reaction from twitter too.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
The last minute kills me every time, haha.

"We think most people are going to get the ultimate version." :D This is what I miss about Steve running the keynotes. We've lost some of the flair and style that Steve had. I loved getting a good laugh out of some of the jokes he cracked.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010

BTW just thought I'd throw out there that Craig Federighi (AKA Hair Force One) has excellent stage presence! Can't wait to see him do his thing on monday! He's the only one in the executive team that comes close to Jobs in terms of public speaking IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvXJg2P65zw

Really? I went back and watched this ... it just seems off beat, forced, and lacks excitement. I think Tim Cook does a much better job personally, although no one can do it like Steve Jobs did.

Last edited:

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
IDK, if they follow the predictable moves the keynote will be over in 40 minutes. Everything gets a spec bump. New prices. Done. Apple has a rule about introducing new products 40 minutes into the keynote - so obviously that's when they'll roll out something actually new and actually exciting and not very predictable.

I don't know where you're getting 40 minutes; last year's was almost 2 hours if I remember correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.