Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
1. Make PathFinder and DefaultFolder apps obsolete by incorporating their functionality into the Finder.

2. Using one iTunes library in different user accounts is practically impossible. Although I've assigned the same iTunes folder to all My accounts (save for the Guest account, obviously) I have to log out of My user account, log in to girlfriend's in order to update the iTunes apps (we have the same App Store / iTunes account to buy apps). Then log out of hers and log in to Mine to update the Mac App Store.
Repairing permissions, altering them through Command-I in Finder - nothing helps, really. Needs to be fixed! A clean install may or may not resolve the issue, but I've not sufficient external storage to back up 1.5Gb data right now, so I can start with a clean install; that will have to wait.

3. App Store is slow as hell, particularly if you have many apps purchased or installed.

4. Often, App Store will get stuck halfway through an app update process without finalising it. Especially, if there's more than a couple of apps to update.

4. Updating iTunes apps is a chore, too. Updating more than 120 apps in one go doesn't really work.

5. Updating apps in iTunes (as well as in Mac App Store) gives errors almost as often as it doesn't. Forces Me to update apps one by one, manually - which is ridiculous, but often that, too, doesn't work.

6. Optimise OS X 10.12 (or equivalent) for older hardware.

7. I wish, there was a comprehensive hardware diagnostics (and file system repair, superior to Disk Utility) utility included with OS X.

8. I'd like Apple to re-enable the use of a remote on compatible Macs.

9. Add a plethora of useful features…

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hold down the option key to turn "Duplicate" into "Save as..."
Well, that's one example down, but I'd love to press the option key less in OS X and not more.
At least give me a setting to revert back to the behavior as standard behavior once and for all that suits me best.

The OS should be there for the user, not the other way around.

Thanks a lot for the tip though. Much appreciated! :)

[doublepost=1465778050][/doublepost]
[...]8. I'd like Apple to re-enable the use of a remote on compatible Macs.
[...]

HOLD ON RIGHT THERE.
Are you saying they disabled the remote control in some OS X release?
I wouldn't know, because when I got this iMac's GPU fixed the authorized repair center failed to put the IR sensor cable back in or broke the sensor.
Either way my remote didn't work after that repair.

Maybe it's just the update, but that'd be well over a year ago already.

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: LeoNobilis

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
  • Finder: A sorting option to have folders pinned to the top of file lists. Ability to view total size of multiple selected folders in "Get Info" menu.

Can't you already do this?

• Time Machine backups to iCloud: The application is currently only able to create physical backups of files.

PLEASE DO THIS APPLE! I have 200GB of iCloud Drive storage (and barely used any of it. Yeah. So sue me.) If I would be able to do this (unlimited bandwidth, so this is not an issue), I would be more then happy to upgrade to 1TB. Just...

... just do it and take my money.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Question for all the apparent IT crowd that have requested an updated filesystem: what exactly is the problem with the current HFS+? Also, if the filesystem was completely overhauled, would that not essentially kill compatibility with all HFS+ drives we have in use? I mean I know some filesystems are cross compatible, but if it were anything like using a FAT32 drive with a mac, I say no thanks.

John Siracusa already explained most of the issues with HFS in one of his famous OS X reviews here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/12/

HFS+ is basically a file system that's 25+ years old with a lot of hacks added over time to make it a bit modern. At some point, they won't be able to update it anymore.

You'd want a fast modern file system that has a built-in support for checksumming to prevent silent bitrot (data corruption caused by aging drives).

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
A good start might be:
  • Update the antiquated file system to something like ZFS;
  • Make options visible and stop with the hide and seek UI.
  • Return Disk Utility's ability to create RAIDs
  • Update Time Machine so it scales better with large databases and works reliably with NAS boxes
  • Stop with all the phoning home and give users to the option to turn this stuff off via a UI instead of Terminal.app
That last thing, man. I shouldn't have to use Terminal as much as I do, which is not to often. No user should really ever have to go near terminal, but if you want certain options disabled you HAVE to go through Terminal. Personally I use Terminal the majority of the tie. To create .ICNS files, which should be a native export option in Preview, but whatever

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Four things:

-More transparency throughout the system (eg. why the hell is Safari grey and not a blurred glass style like the dock?)

- A much more minimal approach to things. Less buttons, hide all extensions systemwide (no, the current thing doesn't work), etc.

- Better iCloud integration.

- More organized Photos app.
for me the dock shows up in full screen mode. I also have auto-hide enabled. not entirely sure if I'm missing something here... we're talking about sending safari for ex. to full screen, ergo a new space. and then simply using the dock - right?
maybe it's some corruption problem with any of your preference files... I actually dealt with something similar lately.

I didn't say this

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
  • Safari prefs and caches is a mess for me. It's always been buggy. Why are we still waiting for bug fixes on an internet browser? (Apple Support have told me to erase and re-install OSX if I want to see some certain websites. I wouldn't care if it wasn't my own site!! www.alexanderleaman.com doesn't work for me. Clean install? Seriously?)
  • Mail needs an overhaul, seriously. The UI is old, and the browser is embarrassing.
  • Same with Calendar. I'd like to see a Mail/Calendar/Notes/Reminders integrated app.
  • Finder, as many have mentioned needs a much needed anti-bloat approach. Add my own Tags - great, Tabs - great. Browser and Colour tags - not so good.
  • Mission control, dual screen, full screen doesn't know what it wants to be.
  • iTunes, I've never had a problem with, controversially. It's a bit clunky and probably needs to be less confusing, but it plays tunes and syncs well for me. I'd like to see a better system wide Equaliser so I don't have to use Boom though.
  • iCloud desperately needs better family sharing so I can actually collaborate with another user on my network. Right now I can share a dropbox folder and my wife can access that and work on documents and sync the changes. Would be nice if we could run one photos library on one storage plan. I'll buy all the storage if it means we can share it. It also needs to be cheaper!
  • Handoff on phone calls could be better.
There's probably more but this is the stuff that grinds my gears right now. I'm not that grumpy about it really, but you did ask. I just think it's nuts that most of people's 'wish list' for OSX seems to be all about fixes.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
My prediction:

More fluff. Useless features akin to bigger cursor on El Cap etc.

Less focus on stability.

Poorer perfomance/lower battery life for older Macs.

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
Personally I use Terminal the majority of the tie. To create .ICNS files, which should be a native export option in Preview, but whatever
folder_drop.gif

I always only use this lazy method (I know the terminal one is probably the better one) - but I never really noticed any difference tbh. icons look sharp in every size... it works with pngs too.

I didn't say this
so, what exactly were you saying then?

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Well, Apple goes out of its way to hide many of them. It looks like the only way to discover everything there is is to put a weight on the Option key, then click through every single app, window and menu option.

Can you imagine how exciting it will be when you shake your mouse cursor and it becomes EVEN BIGGER???

Reactions: Ebenezum

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
This says I posted the comment that you quoted, but I never, its my username but the quote is not mine
ah ok, now I see ;) my apologies man. I really don't know how this happened (I didn't even expect it could be sth. with the name, so I totally overlooked it), but I probably simply messed up sth. unintentionally. I'm gonna edit it. again, sry

EDIT: fixed the first post. strange...

Last edited:
Reactions: ConnYoungy

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
1. Make PathFinder and DefaultFolder apps obsolete by incorporating their functionality into the Finder.

2. Using one iTunes library in different user accounts is practically impossible. Although I've assigned the same iTunes folder to all My accounts (save for the Guest account, obviously) I have to log out of My user account, log in to girlfriend's in order to update the iTunes apps (we have the same App Store / iTunes account to buy apps). Then log out of hers and log in to Mine to update the Mac App Store.
Repairing permissions, altering them through Command-I in Finder - nothing helps, really. Needs to be fixed! A clean install may or may not resolve the issue, but I've not sufficient external storage to back up 1.5Gb data right now, so I can start with a clean install; that will have to wait.

3. App Store is slow as hell, particularly if you have many apps purchased or installed.

4. Often, App Store will get stuck halfway through an app update process without finalising it. Especially, if there's more than a couple of apps to update.

4. Updating iTunes apps is a chore, too. Updating more than 120 apps in one go doesn't really work.

5. Updating apps in iTunes (as well as in Mac App Store) gives errors almost as often as it doesn't. Forces Me to update apps one by one, manually - which is ridiculous, but often that, too, doesn't work.

6. Optimise OS X 10.12 (or equivalent) for older hardware.

7. I wish, there was a comprehensive hardware diagnostics (and file system repair, superior to Disk Utility) utility included with OS X.

8. I'd like Apple to re-enable the use of a remote on compatible Macs.

9. Add a plethora of useful features…

I agree with point 1 provided that Apple pays PathFinder and DefaultFolder developers compensation (not likely).

2-8 are good points, Mac App Store has been problematic for a long time and I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed it years ago. :mad:

Point 9 is too vague, what kind of useful features?

Well, that's one example down, but I'd love to press the option key less in OS X and not more.
At least give me a setting to revert back to the behavior as standard behavior once and for all that suits me best.

Alternatively you could add Save as to System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App Shortcuts, no need to use Option key if you don't want to...

I agree Apple should give option to choose how it works.

As for the topic I wish:

1. New filesystem. (Not likely but one can dream...)
2. Stop hiding features behind key shortcuts (Option clicking everything gets tiring very fast) or Terminal commands.
3. Fix Disk Utility and stop removing features from bundled software arbitrarily.
4. Give the option to customise OS X installation or alternatively provide easy way to stop processes that aren't needed. I don't see using Terminal as a easy way to archive this...
5. Partially tied to my point 1, concentrate on speed and stability over new features, include new features only when they have been fully tested. El Capitan was supposed to be this kind of release but I'm not impressed.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
folder_drop.gif

I always only use this lazy method (I know the terminal one is probably the better one) - but I never really noticed any difference tbh. icons look sharp in every size... it works with pngs too.

so, what exactly were you saying then?

I do it to change icons of apps, you can't use PNG's, and creating .iCNS files is annoying

jScottK

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
EDIT:

for me the dock shows up in full screen mode. I also have auto-hide enabled. not entirely sure if I'm missing something here... we're talking about sending safari for ex. to full screen, ergo a new space. and then simply using the dock - right?
maybe it's some corruption problem with any of your preference files... I actually dealt with something similar lately.
Went back and played with this some more.

When in Full Screen Mode, for me anyway, move mouse to top of screen and the menu bar and window title bar show up instantly. To get the Dock to show up I have to move the mouse pointer all the way to the bottom of the screen (the Dock doesn't show up), wait at least a second or two at the bottom of the screen without moving the mouse pointer, then continue moving the mouse down. Then the Dock will show up.

I had never done the delayed, double move before (which I finally discovered by accident) so I assumed the Dock wouldn't show up at all. It's not terribly intuitive two use to different actions to produce the same result, just because you're on a different edge of the screen.

At least it isn't Windows 8 ;-)

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
To get the Dock to show up I have to move the mouse pointer all the way to the bottom of the screen (the Dock doesn't show up), wait at least a second or two at the bottom of the screen without moving the mouse pointer, then continue moving the mouse down. Then the Dock will show up.
I had never done the delayed, double move before (which I finally discovered by accident) so I assumed the Dock wouldn't show up at all. It's not terribly intuitive two use to different actions to produce the same result, just because you're on a different edge of the screen.
not sure what you mean by double move... but you can always (and I basically said this earlier in another post) change the delay time of the dock and, in this case, make it appear with less delay. type in the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 0.1; killall Dock

you can then play with that number to fit your needs.
but be aware: this is then system wide of course, not only in full screen. and your dock might also be just laggin', and therefore taking so long to appear.

for full screen (that's might be causing this) you can try this. not sure if the command still works tho:
defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-fullscreen-delayed -bool false; killall Dock

reversing it to the way it was:
defaults delete com.apple.dock autohide-delay; killall Dock
defaults delete com.apple.dock autohide-fullscreen-delayed; killall Dock

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
[...]
  • iTunes, I've never had a problem with, controversially. It's a bit clunky and probably needs to be less confusing, but it plays tunes and syncs well for me. I'd like to see a better system wide Equaliser so I don't have to use Boom though.
[...]
Can Boom replace iWow? I really miss that plugin, didn't work anymore starting with iTunes 12 I think it was.

One of the experiences that lead to me generally dismissing plugins whenever possible and favoring backed-in functionality.
Guess I always preferred that, but that was one of those experiences that lead to me not being very thrilled about the mass-removal of functionality in Photos.app while Apple comfortable plays the "use plugins!" card. (yeah... plugins won't do **** if you're used to Aperture... but that's a whole other bag of hurt)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.