Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun notifying recipients of scholarships to the 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference, according to several developers on social media and MacRumors readers. Apple is awarding 350 scholarships to students and members of participating STEM organizations and is also offering 125 scholarships to developers with financial limitations.

wwdcscholarshipwinning.png

Winners of the scholarship receive a free ticket to WWDC 2016 and, in addition, may receive travel assistance to the event. To be eligible, developers had to be 13 years or older, a full or part-time student or a member / alumni of a STEM organization. Developers had to submit an app they worked on that demonstrated "creative use of Apple technologies and runs on an Apple platform."

WWDC 2016 will take place from June 13 to June 17 at Moscone West in San Francisco, California. However, the kickoff keynote event will be held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, a venue that is able to accommodate more guests. Apple is expected to announce new versions of iOS, tvOS, watchOS and OS X, which may get renamed macOS.

Excited to announce I've won a scholarship to Apple's #WWDC 2016! pic.twitter.com/jdksiejzOo - Harrison Weinerman (@hrrsn) May 9, 2016

For the rest of the week, developers and scholarship winners will be able to meet with more than 1,500 Apple engineers and attend more than 100 technical sessions and hands-on labs. Developers who do not have a ticket to WWDC will be able to watch live streamed WWDC sessions that will cover a range of topics and devices.

(Thanks, James and Reddit user AppleBetas!)

Article Link: WWDC 2016 Scholarship Winners Being Notified

chrismail627

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
California
It's a shame Apple didn't give me a scholarship, cause I could've made them a lot of money ;) Hopefully I'll get to go one day!

Last edited:

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
The ticket is the cheap part. The hotel at $200+ a night (for something decent) and airfare (if you aren't local) will make that $1600 ticket look like nothing.

Yeah, I could imagine it gets quite pricey; I interviewed at Apple about a year and a half ago, and the total cost they covered for my trip out to Cupertino for a two-day stay was about $1500 (airfare + hotel + car + paid meals). Really great experience. Anyway, those that are going, have fun!

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Lucky devils. Should be a good one. There's a lot of anticipation for the keynote this year too....

I think the fact that Apple are holding it at the same Bill Graham Civic Auditorium building, where they announced the iPad Pro (12.9") iPhone 6s and so on is what's adding to the anticipation.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I don't know why but I don't fancy this print('geeky style') advertising for this WWDC.
Either way congrats to the winners.

Well, are you a developer? If not, then that's probably why. This is what we developers see for 8+ hours a day, every day. It's kind of fun to see it in a playful manner for a change.
[doublepost=1462877843][/doublepost]
It's going to be probably most boring of all keynotes.

Whew! Good thing there is more to WWDC than a 2 hour keynote!

Reactions: satcomer

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's going to be probably most boring of all keynotes.

Depends what they show, IOS 10 and OSX features could be interesting, last years features were good (adding multitasking to the iPad for example). There's also a good chance Apple will show off new Macbook Pro's and even a (less likely) chance that they MAY show off the Apple Watch 2.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I went to the WWDC 10 years ago. It turned out to be the last year that the WWDC was about computers. I'm glad I went. I miss it.

All of these devices are computers, btw. I think you mean it was when you felt Apple focused more on the computers you like to use. Thanks to iPad my brother and mother own and use a computer. Before 2010 they didn't care for or understand computers AT ALL.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
... & this years WWDC will be filled with iHipsters and people whom generally don't give a flying **** about modern day computing - so long as it looks nice & has a 'flat' design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: satcomer

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I think the fact that Apple are holding it at the same Bill Graham Civic Auditorium building, where they announced the iPad Pro (12.9") iPhone 6s and so on is what's adding to the anticipation.

I just hope it's a good one. Apple are pretty far behind on updating some products, perhaps they will roll out a bunch of updates on the 3-4 Tuesdays before or after the keynote to build some momentum and confidence from us hardcore enthusiasts.

The products I mean: TB display, mac mini, mac pro, rMBP, and heck, an apple watch 2.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I just hope it's a good one. Apple are pretty far behind on updating some products, perhaps they will roll out a bunch of updates on the 3-4 Tuesdays before or after the keynote to build some momentum and confidence from us hardcore enthusiasts.

The products I mean: TB display, mac mini, mac pro, rMBP, and heck, an apple watch 2.

Perhaps, I could be completely wrong but i do think Apple are going to announce/roll out some stuff at WWDC more than usual because of where they are holding the announcement. Apple tends to use the building that reflect the events they are holding, for example the march event was very low key and held at their small Apple campus site. The iPhone 6s iPad Pro and Apple TV 4 announcement was held at the Bill Graham Civic building.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.