WWDC: Apple blasts Microsoft's Longhorn

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 27, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

4. macrumors member

Now let's hope those remarks reflect some real good substance in the OS...because they sure are funny!

:)

5. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Pretty funny, but "Introducing Longhorn" ...? We all want something better than that. :)

6. macrumors 6502a

macridah

I hope "Tiger" will be as good as apple says it will be. Some of those ads talk a lot of trash, I just hope apple could back it up ... and I believe they can, of course.

7. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

photos removed

The photos originally posted with this report have been removed at the photographer's request.

... since the time of my previous post.

8. macrumors regular

A weird feeling...

I think apple is going to do the unthinkable today and announce that tiger will be released for x86 machines ( like itunes was for windows but much bigger!!!)

with the lull between now and longhorn if it ever comes out in 2007 apple has years to fling tiger on a frustrated consumer base that would jump at the chance to finally use mac oses instead of windows on their pc, especially with all the talk of viruses and so forth

i just have a really weird feeling thats what's going to happen

9. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Nice timing with that "unthinkable" speculation!

10. macrumors regular

heheh

Well when I saw those banners it sealed the deal. Good timing hehehe.

11. macrumors 6502

"Introducing Longhorn. Redmond, start your photocopiers."

"This should keep Redmond busy."

"Redmond, we have a problem."

Oh my. This should be good!

12. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

13. macrumors 6502a

simX

Or, um, how about not? This has been debunked many, many, MANY times. It's not going to happen.

14. macrumors 65816

billyboy

15. macrumors 6502

That would actually suck in a big way. However, there isn't a chance that ms office won't be around for macs in the next few years. Eliminating it would definitely start pushing the knife into Apple. I'm sure the folks at Apple have some sort of agreement with microsoft on the whole office thing.

16. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I wouldn't worry about it, the two companies have been trading barbs like that forever. Just in recent volleys, Teh Steve has made the same kinds of comments along the lines of Office is nice, too bad most people are stuck running it on Windows; and MS have had lots of things to say about how nasty AAC is.

17. macrumors regular

OK, I have been wanting to reply to several of the posts claiming the above possibility for Tiger. THINK ABOUT IT. This would be THE BIGGEST announcement Apple has ever made, bar none, and it would be announced at WWDC at a keynote not even worthy of live streaming? With no major hype? I think categorically not. Apple is the Ruler of all things Hyped, and would never miss an opportunity to ham up such a huge announcement

18. macrumors regular

Personally I think the posters are absolutely great.

By no means are the posters going to create any tension between Microsoft and Apple. It's just a little humor they have going for them.

In Apple's opinion, it's their idea of advertisement - they think that their product is much better than that of their competitors, and so their posters reflect that with a little trash-talk.

To really get Microsoft where it hurts is for Apple to release an Office suite today.

19. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just in case this isn't perfectly clear, Redmond is the suburb of Seattle where Microsoft's headquarters are located.

20. macrumors newbie

What if they are finally going to release an office type ap intergrated into the OS?

This would be a pretty savy move becuase MS could never do it for monoply reasons.

All in all pretty interesting posters for a non streamed keynote.

21. macrumors 65816

1macker1

22. macrumors member

23. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What's with the hole in the middle of the 'X' in those graphics? It seems a bit out of place and it makes me wonder if it doesn't serve some sort of purpose - a purpose I'm incapable of determining, though...

D

24. macrumors regular

I don't know if this is a joke or not but I'll bite: It's an install disc.

25. macrumors 603

solvs

No one else caught the comment Steve made about having lunch with Bill? He also mentioned how great Mac Office 2004 is. You gotta love big business.