WWDC expectations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Soire, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Soire macrumors regular

I didbn't know where to post this, but I was wondering if either the iPods or the Displays seem likely to update at WWDC. I heard somewhere like AI that the displays may not come out till september...

Anyways, what came out last year, and what will come out this year other than iMacs and Tiger??? :confused:

2. iBook macrumors regular

My 2 cents....

The new G5 iMac will be the big news @ WWDC. That and the already-announced preview of 10.4.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the iMac G5 will be nice, but that's not a given, just speculation - I think the displays are way overdue for an update...

D

4. furrina macrumors regular

What do you think about displays? When? I am dying to get one to go with my new 15" pb, but I hear so much about how there will be big price drops, so I really can wait if it'll save me at least several c's for a 20".

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Just wait. It'll be between June 28th and January. It'll be worth it.

Lee Tom

6. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

I love you kina people who always throw in an extra comment that gets me so anticipated...

But then I always have to ask... What do ya know that you can tell us more about? :eek:

:D :D

7. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt he has inside info. However that comment makes me aggravated.

Between June 28th and January?? I want those damn displays by WWDC or I'll find a reasonably priced LCD to go with my 2.5 G5. If that sounds like a threat, it is. I really feel that there isn't much that is holding back new screens... what LCD yields were low?? :p

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you want one so bad, just grab the 20" Cinema Display... It rocks!
    I have no inside info, but the rumors indicate they'll be aluminum themed 20", 23", and 30". Sounds worth it to me!

Lee Tom

9. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Woah, I was thinking January said "JULY" why would they NOT release them SOON?!?

@ WWDC...

Soire, sorry I didn't realize it said -January... ridiculous... of course I hope they would have them out by then, but they need them out NOW!

:eek:

10. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

1. Tiger beta for developers - 100% certainty

2. Other software updates including Xcode, Remote Desktop, etc. - 100%

3. Displays - 75% based on the Brilliant Savings promo ending at WWDC
    4. iMacs - 75% - last updated 7 months ago, recent eMac update
    5. iPods - 25% the mini won't get updated for sure; and the 60gb drives won't be ready for a while
    6. One more thing - 50%

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well if channel supplies are any indication, the iMac G5 maybe more than rumor. Either that or we could see an iMAc G4 dual.

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I just don't see iPods at the WWDC. The conference is for developers, not consumers, so I would expect more developer related stuff. Maybe if they were announcing a new SDK for the iPod or something, but I think new software or hardware (ie computers) is more likely.

13. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Yup , except #6.
    I think there is 100% chance of "One more thing"! :D

... oh and check out lucky number 13 ! ;)

14. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

A surprise new Power Mac G5 model, where we finally reach 3GHz!

iMac G5's with dual 2GHz processors in an all aluminum enclosure and with bluetooth, AE, and widescreen LCD's standard! starting at only $999

eMac G5 with single 1.8GHz G5's across the line and a new black plastic shell! starting at only $699

NEW Aluminum displays ranging in size from 20" to 50", starting at only $399

and DA DA DUMMMMMM, the long long long loooong awaited PowerBook G5's, only one inch thick, 1.8-2.3GHz G5's, widescreen across the line from 13" to 17", liquid cooling AND 8x superdrives! starting at only $1199

Also, 4th generation iPods with colour screens, video capabilities, built-in wifi, the much clamoured for AM/FM tuner and airport express compatibility! starting at only $199

...and all developers who attend the conference get a free 4th gen iPod!

yea...

BUT SERIOUSLY PEOPLE

I suspect, iMaac G5's probably with a 1.6GHz G5 in them, some software updates that are more developer oriented, and of course tiger beta distribution.

I wouldn't be surprised if new displays arrived either, considering that "brilliant savings" promotion ends on the 26th, perfect timing :)

15. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs takes the stage and those in attendance immediately know that things are going to be quite different this year. First of all, he is shirtless and wearing skin tight pink spandex pants with 20 eyelet steel toe combat boots. He is clearly not wearing any underwear and can put Ron Jeremy to shame in the third leg department. He stands there waving his arms around wildly while sweating profusely. He announces that he is bombed out of his mind on cocaine and high powered liquid acid.

He starts by doing a demo of tiger, and repeatedly shows off the new "trails" effect when you move icons and documents around the screen. "This is f***ing awesome", Jobs says as he pulls a giant Marley spliff out of his waist band and sparks it up on stage. "Enough of this tiger s**t", Jobs screams (very awkwardly) as he reveals the imac g5. The crowd goes wild, and Jobs starts playing air guitar so fiercely on the center of the stage that the paramedics are called in to keep a close eye on him.

When he boots up the new imac, the sound of a jet engine fills the room, as Steve's private jet comes crashing through the keynote screen. Rodney Dangerfield pokes his head out of the cockpit and waves Steve in. Jobs salutes the audience and does a quadruple back arial flip and lands perfectly in the plane. Rodney and Steve fly the jet through the roof while Olivia Newton John's "I honestly Love You" blasts at full volume through all available speakers in the conference room.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know this is wishful thinking but i would love an update to Keynote already!!

17. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

:D

18. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

My Predictions...

1. 10.4 to be released in September/October with full Linux integration. There will be 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

2. Dual 2.5 G5 Powermacs shipping June 28th or within the next week.

3. iMac G5s (1.4 - 1.8GHz) / Radeon 9800 (128vram) in top of the line (20 inch) with 512 megs ram.

4. Xserve G5 2.3GHz for VT.

5. The iCube... (G5 processor @ 1.4 or 1.6GHz for $999)

6. New Displays at 20, 23, and 30 inches. ($999, $1499, and $2499)

MMMMMMmmmmmmm :)

19. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'd say:

1. iMac G5-95%

2. Displays-95%

3. Software-80%

4. iPods- ?%

I don't know about the iPods, I think they deserve an update, especially the mini, but I don't know if they will. It seems like the next revision will have 60Gb in the iPod and 5Gb in the mini. These drives are brand new though, so I doubt we'll see them at WWDC.

Prove me wrong Steve :D

JOD8FY

20. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Beginning of wwdc.Lights go down spot light hits the middle of the stage.curtains open.steve jobs and bill gates are holding hands.steve says"and you all said this would never happend"they kiss and leave ala micheal jackson and lisa marie presley.

21. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

1. iMac G5-75%

2. Displays-96% ;)

3. Software-110%

4. iPods-25%

The mini won't see an update... The current ones need to start shipping steadily and worldwide... :rolleyes:

22. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

Y'know what I was thinking was that the iPod could go 4th generation without a drive size increase, or maybe it goes to 50 gigs? I heard a rumor a while back that 50 gig drives were being produced, but I guess that's just BS.

Anybody recall exactly what came out last year? And is it a rolling release over four days, or is it a "Sha-Zaam! Here's all the products" sort of thing on the first day?

23. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

last year was the preview of panther, intro of isight, and intro of powermacg5. They reveal everything at once during the keynote.

24. DGFan macrumors 6502a

I am figuring there will be at least one thing NOT on this list:
    iMac G5
    iPod
    displays

Could be something new in the desktop area (PowerMac 8,1) ?
    Could be new software?
    Could be new device?

I guess we'll have to wait and see....

25. magid macrumors 6502

magid

Does anyone think new powerbooks possibly? I am in the market for one and could either buy one now or wait a month or so. What do you think?