Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As one of the first orders of business in today's WWDC Keynote address, Apple CEO Steve Jobs invited EA CCO Bing Gordon and id Games Owner and CTO John Carmack on to the stage.

Citing that EA customers were moving to the Mac in droves, EA announced that it would once again begin developing games for the Mac platform with simultaneous releases as their Windows counterparts. Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 2142, Need For Speed Carbon, and Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix are coming in July 2007, with Madden 08 and Tiger Woods 08 to follow.

id Games also previewed forthcoming technology that allows for unprecedented texture detail. The technology was being shown first at WWDC, and would be given more in-depth demonstrations at E3.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Holy Sh...!

That is amazing news!

Now for Apple to take care of the hardware part. Seriously, there needs to be some kind of midrange Mac that's upgradable as a Pro but runs on something lesser than the Xeon (like possibly the Core Duo 2 Extremes).

This is a very good start though.

roy_dan

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Is this OpenGL 2.0?
How will that compare to DirectX 10?

Not trying to spoil the news but just trying to grasp the impact. One of the last arguements my PC friends have is they won't switch because there's no real Mac gaming. Obviously this changes things but only if the experience is equivelent.

Anyone have some insight between GL and DX?

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
This is a BIG deal. Gaming is keeping a ton of people on the sidelines that would rather be on a Mac.

Madden 2008 may be as good a gateway drug as iTunes in waking people up to Mac.

EDIT:

Speaking of gateway drugs... SAFARI? Didn't see THAT coming! I hope it has a feature like Foxmarks for Firefox to sync multiple computers' bookmarks, which is the primary reason I use Firefox on my PC and my Mac.

kiang

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
Underwealmed so far. 10 features and nothing spectacular or WOW... :(
erm, I'm a bit disappointed, cause I expected too a few more WOW-features, but I REALLY like the stuff they showed such as the new UI, stacks and spaces...

EDIT: Apple om is eriously upated :D:D:D
i love the new tabs :D

roy_dan

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
It's over and there's no new hardware?!?!

It would seem that Apple is out of the practice of saving hardware announcements for the conferences. Most recently the Mac Pro, then MacBook and finally the MacBook Pro were updated before WWDC. There just isn't enough time in the keynote to backlog them all. Plus the sales opportunity cost is huge.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
okay for some reason it just posted this in this thread instead of another...

Even so, I'm looking forward to C&C!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nfs

If I ever install Vista on my Mac, Need For Speed was the most likely game I would run. (Though I hear many games are more stable in XP.)

Looks like I won't need to bother :)

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Lot of good it does developing games for the mac when I can't replace the frickin video card without throwing the whole damn computer away.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
heck yess madden for mac!!! i was thinkin bout geting it for ps3 but if its cheaper for mac i will deffintly get it and i wonder to if this means will be getin sims games the same time as the pc ones come out now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.