WWDC iMac Predictions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TigerPRO, Jun 24, 2004.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

According to this article, some dude is predicting a change in the iMac product line. Keep in mind, this isn't a rumor, it's just a prediction.

http://macminute.com/2004/06/23/imac

I have a hard time believing Apple would make any significant changes to the flatpanel iMac. I don't know about you, but I think it would be a foolish idea. To make changes simply on the basis of having "something new".

The iMac has a perfect design for saving deskspace, and a wonderful concept that lets you adjust the position of the screen. I don't think a design for a computer could get much better than this. Also take into account how beautiful the iMac is, while still acomplishing these goals!

It's a perfectly compact, "no hassle" computer for the home user that requires a complete computer solution; furnished with a nice large LCD screen, and preinstalled with all the basic software one might need.

I don't think Apple can change the design of the iMac and get anything better. Truely, the flatpanel iMac is the most amazingly designed computer ever made. I would hate to see Apple throw away such a treasure mearly in the light of traditional product cycles. I guess one of the reasons I love the iMac so much because I have one; and I've experienced it.

Any thoughts? It's my anticipation that Apple could and might make minor adjustments to it's forfactor, but I don't think they'll scrap the entire concept. Also, I'm thinking Apple just might come out with another computer model that doesn't have a built in display. But it won't be intented to replace the iMac; they'll call it something else.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I disagree. I think it is likely we will see an upgrade to the form factor. On the other hand, I disagree with Meryll Lynch as well. I don't think we'll see a "headless" iMac.

My vote goes towards the guts of the computer placed behind the monitor, to make the whole package looking something like the 17" Apple LCD, available in 15, 17, and 20".

Lee Tom

3. brap macrumors 68000

Personally, I'd like to see a headed, and headless aluminium cube-type design. This way it could be LCD upgradeable, and entice cost-conscious switchers. Perhaps something L-shaped - system board vertically behind monitor, optical drives horizontally below the LCD. This way there could be an air 'tunnel' up and through the electronics at the rear...

Damnit, I have a really cool picture in my head now. If it turns out to be a re-hash of the current (IMHO, ugly as hell) one, I may cry.

4. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Moving from the fruit iMacs to the LCD iMac was more than just a form change - it allowed for more flexibility in screen position and a small footprint regardless of screen size.

If we see a major change I think it will be along the lines of moving it toward being a Media Center computer. I really doubt Apple will come out with a new form-factor for the iMac simply to change how it looks.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I guess the only thing that worries me about a headless iMac is that you do need a screen. This is nice for most of us but think about when you go to Dell's web site. You select the computer and the monitor (as it needs one). But when you go to Apples web site and select the headless iMac you'd probably get a selection of cinema displays. They may be nice and I can say I even want one but they *are* pricey. I think that would be a bigger deterrant for a new user to Macs than anything else. Yes you can use your old whatever monitor (most likely) but I think (no proof) that most people probably pass their old computer away in whole when they get a new one. Give the old Dell to the kids, but a Mac. Now they need a monitor and are presented with currently a $700, $1300, and $2000 display. But they go to Dell and can get a monitor for... $200, $300. The cinema displays are worth it (or so I understand and I drool at them when I go to the Apple store) but to the common man... why even try out a cheap iMac when I have to spend $700 minimum just for a screen?

Yes I know that the Cinema Display isn't their only option but I'm looking at it from a "new to Apple" standpoint. Who knows though. Maybe they'll offer during BTO some other-brand CRTs but I somehow don't think Apple would do that.

Just a thought. I'm stoked either way. Love my iBook!

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

what they should do is have an iMac where the screen can come off and you can buy a new screen or not one at all. You can attach it to the arm thinngy if it is a special imac display or you could use another one on you desk. So you could have a headless imac that you could turn into a normal iMac by getting an iMac display and attaching it to the base with the arm thing. Or you could buy a Cinema display or another one and put it on you desk. So... ya :cool:

7. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

what they should do is have an iMac where the screen can come off and you can buy a new screen or not one at all. You can attach it to the arm thinngy if it is a special imac display or you could use another one on you desk. So you could have a headless imac that you could turn into a normal iMac by getting an iMac display and attaching it to the base with the arm thing. Or you could buy a Cinema display or another one and put it on you desk. So... ya :cool:

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's a thought... What about an Apple LCD, with the guts, about the size of a powerbook, that attaches to the back of that LCD? So that way, you buy a new iMac, and when you want to upgrade, you slide off the back guts, and slide on the new one?

Lee Tom

9. DGFan macrumors 6502a

The target audience for the iMac changes screens about as often as they change computers. If you want to upgrade your computer every 3 years you probably aren't in the target audience.

It's funny how there is this one group of people who complain about the screen being attached to the iMac because Macs don't last that long. Then there is this other group that proudly proclaims their continued use of a 433Mhz Mac. These two groups seem not to know about each other's existence.

10. pinkeye00 macrumors newbie

G5 iMac Holy Grail Release

The bottom line is that the iMac desperately needs an upgrade. The only feasible upgrade is really a processor - to essentially give power to buck ratios. I owned an iMac 15" before I owned my recently purchased G5 1.6.

The only reason why I upgraded was because of the performance increase. DRAM, CPU, HD, and PCI BUS were ALL given speed bumps.

They aren't upgrading pieces on the old form factor. Chances are they are aiming higher here, by putting in something that REALLY close to the G5 line w/ an LCD on top. The perecption of the line, is generally ... that the iMac line is under powered.

Why should I spend $1299 - $2000+ on an iMac, when I can simply spend $120 on a 19" monitor and get myself a G5 with the ULTIMATELY superior design to the crippled G4 line??

Think about it for a few minutes, then come back.

I'm sure the engineers have been screaming internally, saying give us an incremental step towards laptops. We can give you a G5 iMac before the laptops because its easier to implement on the cooling end, and you aren't pushing smaller than small at this point. The iMac on the inside is generally a laptop with better cooling and a few more expanded parts! Physically, a laptop is just massively tweaking a few particular parts (ie. heat centers) to make it FIT in the case of a laptop.

G5 Tower -> iMac -> Laptop

That's how lines would look in this particlar issue, with the G5 technology distributions and road-map, to me.

11. Ups85 macrumors newbie

I totaly agree with you. The G4 iMac was the reason I fell in love with macs. Nowhere else can you get even close to the flexibility of the iMac. I would like to see them update the design a little, and definatly make it more powerful, but I hope they keep the adjustable display. Without it, it just turns into one of those hideous all-in-one pc, like the gateway profile > http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/proddetails.asp?system_id=prf5sc&seg=hm

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think people who think that way usually buy Dells. That's like saying "why should I buy a $30,000 SUV when I could buy a $15,000 pickup truck and put a $500 shed in the back?"

For most people, the monitor is the computer. They're buying the iMac for its looks. A $120 CRT wouldn't cut it for them.

13. pinkeye00 macrumors newbie

um .. dunno

I'm a serious gear-head when it comes to buying the right device for what I'm trying to accomplish. However, when you get into the realm of buying 1299-2000+ market ... devices... I think there are thoughts about the monitor vs. power/performance issues.

LCDs are one thing, however power is another. Would you rather have an AMD 64bit machine w/ LOTS of power w/ a CRT, or a Duron 1.8 w/ a 15" LCD? I know its a bit PC in argument and extreme ... but I'm just trying to show the fundimentals here.

Your argument is on a TUBE vs. LCD. I'm pointing out MASSIVE power upgrade vs. LCD. Totally different argument.

14. bluebull macrumors member

It won't be aluminum; aluminum is reserved for the pro line, so it will white (Not a bad thing, I like white). What I imagine is something like the current cinema display, which goes back like an inch and a half. Then there would be a cd tray coming out of the side or something.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hey, I'm like you--I'd go for performance. What I'm saying is that most people aren't like us. They want an LCD because LCDs look cooler than CRTs. Think about all the people who buy Plasma TVs and then don't even bother to get an HDTV receiver or an antenna. They're doing it for looks, not for actual performance. It's the same reason most SUVs never see a dirt road.

Most people use their PCs for MS Office, surfing, and E-mail. They could care less what's inside, as long as they can run PowerPoint. They *do* care what their computers look like, though. Once your computer doesn't look like the cool new ones they advertise on TV, it's time to upgrade.

16. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Well said! I like your choice of words.

17. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I agree, too. That's one reason I'm so interested in what Apple will have to offer at WWDC. IF they announce a new (G5) iMac, they will have to top the current model...and I really don't know how they'll be able to do that. Sure, the Cube was nice but, in my opinion, the LCD iMac is the most elegantly designed computer in the world...still.

Squire

18. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

19. thejazzman10 Guest

look at this from gateway:
    sooo, running two programs at the same time is a benifit?? :confused:

20. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

lol

21. railthinner macrumors regular

alright – my largely pointless speculation just for the hell of it:

If any form changes are made to the imac it will be to enlarge the base for better cooling with the G5. I suspect a teardrop shape or something more oval. The movable monitor arm has to stay. It's too innovative, cool, and functional to dump it.

22. DGFan macrumors 6502a

I love this quote:
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. At their current prices I believe only an idiot would buy an iMac right now. There's really no reason (other than "look how cool we are" marketing) for Apple to even offer the current model. It's really pathetic.

If no new iMacs are offered at WWDC Apple better at least significantly drop the price of the current models. A huge chunk of the cost (perception, if not reality) can be attributed to the LCD. With Apple LCD prices about to drop the iMac needs to at least keep pace.

23. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'm with Lee Tom. I envision a Cinema Display with the guts of the computer tucked behind the screen, a slot-loading media drive on one side, and plenty of ports on the other. And a wireless keyboard and mouse to go with it.

I'm probably going to eat these words next week, but the "redesigned G5 iMac!" rumors just might refer to a "Son of Spartacus" 20th-anniversary Mac updated with current tech and design sensibility, via the concept above. I wouldn't bet on it having a G5 at this point (thus the "no G5 iMac" rumors), but otherwise that would account for the supposed "computer in LCD" new-iMac rumors.

Now, Lee Tom's second post about just slotting upgraded computers into the back of the LCD definitely would never happen...it's too cool an idea. :p

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I take exception at your calling me (and a few other people, I'd imagine) an idiot.

My money, my time, my decision. An informed one too, I might add.

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Believe me, the iMac you bought is going to bring you a lot of joy. Just because something better is right around the corner (when isn't it?) doesn't mean that you made a bad decision. My almost-two-year-old 17" 800MHz iMac is still great to use.