WWDC iOS5 for developers

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by ljg93, Jun 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

hey everyone I was wondering since iOS5 gets announced tomorrow, will developers get the new software update earlier then everyone else?

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Paid-up developers will, most likely, get beta test versions as normal. And again, as normal, you are not recommended to run these betas on your only phone as they can have serious issues.

3. macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Yup - I've heard too many stories of people rushing to put early betas on their business phones and then complaining when things go screwy.

If we get access to 5 this week, I'll be putting it on my iPad for sure but will not be putting it on my iPhone any time soon...

RTP.

4. thread starter macrumors member

cool thanks for your guys replies, lets say if i do put it on my phone and things go screwy, can i just reset my phone in itunes and be fine again? also where would we get access to it? this is my first year of being a paid developer!

thanks!

5. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple do not generally provide any support for downgrading to the previous OS.

6. sth
    macrumors 6502a

Reflashing to older versions may or may not work. If if doesn't, you'll have to live with the beta version until the final release is out.

Better don't do this on your only phone.

I suggest getting an iPod touch as a development device if you want to keep up with beta versions.

http://developer.apple.com/

7. macrumors member

Oh, I didn't mean that "help"...
    I am a developer. Could anybody tell me how to install iOS 5 on my iPhone?!

8. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are a paid-up developer (free developer accounts do not get betas) then once the iOS dev centre is back up log in and follow the instructions Apple post.

9. macrumors member

Of course paid :)
    Just follow the instructions...
    I thought it is not easy...
    And do I need to download any huge files? I have got an xCode 4 already installed.

10. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You will have to download the new firmware and probably a new version of XCode with the SDK to support the new firmware.

11. macrumors 6502a

I might bite the bullet and install it on my iPhone and iPad. I don't really run a business so I don't know how important my iPhone really is during the summer when I am not in school.

12. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Hi, I am also a new iOS Developer (paid a couple months ago). I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.6 (Verizon), and an iPad 1 on 4.3... what would be the process for updating them? Do I have to unjailbreak the phone first? Or will updating to iOS 5 automatically get rid of the jailbreak for me?

For the iPad I assume it will be simple, since I did not jailbreak it.

Also, will I have to install iOS 5 through Xcode, or will it be done via iTunes or another method?

Thanks in advance for your replies :D

13. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wait for the developer centre to come back up. We won't know until then.

14. thread starter macrumors member

what did apple mean when they said a developer seed will be available today?

15. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They meant that at some point today (today being in their timezone so California) the dev centre will come back up and the beta firmware etc will be posted to download.

16. thread starter macrumors member

alright cool thanks for all your help you have helped out a lot!

17. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are in a European timezone (like me) it's almost certainly not worth waiting for it to come up today: the site will be overloaded for a while and downloads will be dog slow anyway!

18. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

I've always installed the Betas of iOS on my devices from the get-go and never had any major problems: Some apps don't work very well but the core functionality has always been pretty solid.
    Having said that, I will try it on an old 3rd gen iPod touch I've got lying around first though before putting it on my phone...

19. thread starter macrumors member

In in the east coast time zone.. so you still think it will be bad?

20. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Dev page is back up but I don't see iOS5. Anyone know where its at?

EDIT: I'm a paid iOS developer. There is a link for it, but no actual download.

21. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There was a huge bug in one of the iOS 3 betas in the Messages app. If you received a text message from a short number (say 5 digits) and didn't have a name for it in your contacts the Messages crashed on startup ever time from that point on. Pretty annoying when O2, the only iPhone provider in the UK at that time, sent out frequent messages from 5 digit numbers!

22. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Will only be visible if you are logged in and paid up. I get the non-logged in page up now but as soon as I try and log in I get the "we'll be back soon" again.

23. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm actually logged in and paid up. My name is there and everything. (Even the "Your iOS membership will expire in 18 days" warning but no download : /

Nevermind its there. I hit refresh and it all appeared.

ANNNND its back down.

EDIT: Ok its back up. iTunes beta and iOS5 beta and soon I will know if the game I'm working on will need tweaked.

24. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

I must have been lucky enough to have missed that one!
    Could you get round it by adding a contact in for the number?

25. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you knew what the number that was causing the problem. I eventually got round it by browsing a backup to find the number.