Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I've just tried to watch the WWDC 05 QT stream on my iBook G3 (QT 7), and it's slow to say the least. Is it just that my comp can't handle it or am I missing something? Can I find a non-h264 stream?

Do I need one of those 3.6GHz Intel Macs just to watch the keynote? :confused: :eek: :p :p

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
I'm having similar problems on my AMD Athlon 1.4GHz PC (my iBook is inaccessible at the moment). I've even tried turning the Quicktime Internet Streaming preferences down to 384kbps (my connection is 512) but it still offers me the H.264 one at 650kbps.

Boo.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
It may be that your iBook just isn't fast enough in terms of pure processing power to look the stream. But I don't know for sure.

Now I saw the strange kbit range as well. Even though I got a mbit, the stream wouldn't run fluently until I put the connection speed to 384 kbit in the preferences. The average throughput while I was looking at the movie was however in between 50 an 110 kbyte per second, maxing my connectioun out, at times.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it looked pretty awful to me, but i just waited for the whole thing to download in the bkgd before watching it and it was fine. amazing quality even when blown-up full screen. loved when theo gray came on :D

whocares

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
homerjward said:
it looked pretty awful to me, but i just waited for the whole thing to download in the bkgd before watching it and it was fine. amazing quality even when blown-up full screen. loved when theo gray came on :D

Don't have QT Pro, so don't know how to download it before hand. Is there a work around for that?

If I switch back to QT 6 (on another HDD), will I get a different codec?

Cheers,
-D

[Edit:] tried 384kbit and was still too slow to watch. Tried 256kbit and still a bit slow (but ok) but quality really takes a hit. This is especially pissing me off because previous keynotes used to work fine. :mad:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I have never had QT Pro, but is it possible for someone who does to download the keynote, post it on the web somewhere and PM me the address. My poor powerbook just can't handle the stream. Frustrating to say the least.

Hickman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.