Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movabi

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
No finder updates/fixes?

I guess i was expecting to see some finder improvements and dock improvements (springloaded folders) not to mention a faster finder. I never even guessed that apple would have a konfabulator rip off... I think konfabulator is nice but i get bored with it and stop using it. Never thought apple would take notice of what some people call a novelty app. I guess its good eyecandy. One nice thing about it is that you can access widgets through exposé. It would be excellent if you could use konfabulator widgets or replace apple's implementation with konfabulator.. I highly doubt it. Core image sounds interesting. All in all, i don't know what to think of Tiger. I would like to know what all the 100 plus new features are... if there are wonderous things that weren't mentioned (crossing fingers) :confused

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
would all the whiners remember that WWDC is a DEVELOPERS conference? not a Mac Expo. Tiger might not sound so super if you are consumer, but for the attendees this is one rocking piece of OS with a lot of potential. If anyone had expectations for WWDC based on last year, they deserved to be dissappointed. Sorry for the rant...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, true, it's a developer's conference, and last year's announcements raised expectations about this year's.

Of course, now I can only assume that the G5 iMacs will be announced at MacWorld Boston. ;)

As far as the Tiger announcements were concerned:

I think it looks great. Yes, some stuff is repackaged/stolen from shareware. But it's a decent improvement. Who knows where it will end up in six months? I'm pretty happy with what was announced.

Also, keep in mind that Apple has done "10% off" parties in their stores when a new OS comes out. Hmmmm. January. Hmmmm. Possible new G5 PBs. Perhaps a long wait for Tiger isn't such a bad thing.

I'm happy to see Apple is doing more in Tiger to address multi-Mac families. I think there's a lot more to do there, though.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Spotlight = LaunchBar
Dashboard = Konfabulator

:rolleyes:

P.S. If you don't already have LaunchBar, you're SERIOUSLY missing out on the best RSI-preventing and time saving program ever. It's the only utility I've ever installed, and subsequently kept, on my Mac. I love it.

Apple runs out of innovative ideas, begins stealing from shareware developers.

Damn if Max/MSP was out for Linux I'd be soooo gone right now. I'm getting sick of having this stuff shoved down my throat. Unfortunately, Max isn't out for Linux, PD is crappy in comparison, and Apple continues to produce the best OS out there. Damn them.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Does anyone know how soon we will be able to see WWDC via QuickTime? We should remember that we still have 4 more days of the conference. Then I agree with jsw, its on to MacWorld Boston.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
It's craptastic!

Meh. I guess wwdc 2003 set a high standard. Yeah, I know its a developer conference, blah blah blah. Pretty disappointing to me. :(

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My instant reactions:

• Good job, MacRumors! New displays, Tiger, Finder improvements, Dashboard, Automater. And no new Mac models.
  • If you have enough pixels, here's a good 1440x900 desktop pattern: applecinemadisplayfamily.jpg
  • When Steve Jobs takes time in a keynote to tell you about screensavers (such as the Orbit one), it's a sign he needs more exciting products to announce.
  • There has always been a potential market for Maya Unlimited for Mac. Lots of digital animators use Macs and would love to use the amazing fur/hair/water features only avaialble in the "Unlimited" version. The decision by Alias to release Maya Unlimited for Mac (it's long been available for Windows) was more political than technical, because, starting now, Alias the company runs itself. It bought out its corporate parent, SGI (see Press Release). That freed Alias management to go where they wanted to go. The press release says "there will be no changes to product availability as a result of the sale of the business", but I heard otherwise.
  • When Steve Jobs talked about searching PDFs, did he say "context searching" or "content searching"?
  • Does Bill Gates still feel that Microsoft's relationship with Apple is "better than ever" now that he knows about Apple's banners poking fun at Microsoft? I think they are always destinated to have a love/hate relationship.
  • Tiger: No, you don't get a free Tiger upgrade in 2005 if you buy a new Mac starting today. (I just know somebody is going to ask that.)
  • "Better SMB support" isn't a "groudbreaking feature", but it's welcome. So is RSS for Safari. I wonder why he forgot to mention MacRumors in his RSS examples? Probably just an oversight. ;)
  • Spotlight: The Finder has metadata searching (but no piles). In a recent interview, a Microsoft executive talked about their plans to develop ways to search locally, with the ease people have come to expect from Google. Looks like Apple is once again way ahead of Microsoft.
  • Time for I-told-you-so's about Dashboard. But I don't get it. Why didn't they generalize one more step and let you define multiple desktops, switching among them with a keypress? Why is it specifically about quick access to certain "accessories"?
  • Is this the best way to test rumors? : Announce everything we hear and see which ones get a reaction from Apple Legal.
  • iChat: Three-way videochats. Could they make it unlimited if they made the window size shrink as you added more people? For example, could the encoding method and bandwidth support 10 videochat participants if each was icon sized? We'd all be like living animated gifs!
  • Unix humor: Automater should be called VP, for "Visual Pipes" and use a giant vertical bar as its icon!

Paul Cyr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
rrrrrright.

Doctor Q said:
My instant reactions:

• Spotlight: The Finder has metadata searching (but no piles). In a recent interview, a Microsoft executive talked about their plans to develop ways to search locally, with the ease people have come to expect from Google. Looks like Apple is once again way ahead of Microsoft.

:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but who had a crap load of metadata options (including creating your own) before Tiger? Let's not get into a Apple ahead of MS debate.

the061

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2004
Lovely Manchester
2A Batterie said:
I've been waiting nearly 6 months for something to happen and it thought it was today. I've been waiting to be my first new Mac, which I desperately need, and I wasn't going to bite the bullet till after WWDC. Hell, I could've bought a G5 6 months ago but I didn't because I thought something huge was going to happen (ie 3ghz). I'm waiting to buy all of my apple stuff at once and I though we would've at least seen a new ipod. Tiger looks cool, but I'm just a professional audio guy, not a developer, so I don't understand it all. WWDC is for developers, but throw us non-developers who use high-end Mac for professial apps a freakin' bone here! Garageband changed my life, literally, and just something like that would have made me soil my undergarments. I guess I was expecting the holy grail, but I guess WWDC was truly for developers last year. I'll take a page from Brian and look on the bright side.

Just buy the G5 already!!!!

I was waiting for the Jan Keynote for an update, nothing happened so I bought a dual 1.8 anyway. Wish I would have bought it earlier now! This machine is so damn fast. It even turned out to be better than the new dual 1.8 in terms of RAM and graphics card so I got the better deal.

Stop hanging round on rumour sites waiting on false information on what might be. Just go out and buy it or spend you whole life regretting things that could have been.

:)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Is there a possiblity of new announcements after the keynote speech? I kinda epected more. They could of saved some of the announcements made in the previous week or two for today to add more meat to the keynote.

I would be happy for some minor updates like safari 1.3 or a significant one like increased storage space for .Mac subscribers.

the061

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2004
Lovely Manchester
Paul Cyr said:
:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but who had a crap load of metadata options (including creating your own) before Tiger? Let's not get into a Apple ahead of MS debate.

OK yes, MS has them for Longtooth, but can't implement it until 2007 even though they want to launch 2006. So they will yet again release an incomplete OS.

Best not get into that debate though, eh?

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Personally dissturbed a little inside about the WWDC today. Thought they might actually release something... But ohs well what do you expect?

Pros:
Tiger sounds kool, as any OS X version I'm sure it'll be great without a doubt. Hopefully in the next six months or so they'll change some more things around graphics wise too. Just me personally, I like it when there are new graphics on a new version of an OS. If not then ohs well, atleast we can expect some kind of performance upgrade and bug fix from Panther to Tiger.

Cons:
The displays are a bunch of poowey to me. Yeah it's all gravy, but I dont really see new displays as the most necessary thing Apple needed to work on right now. But I guess they figured that was more important then releasing new computers with upgraded hardware, who knows. I just find that a little upsetting that we get info on Tiger like expected (which was nothing new), and some flashier bigger monitors that half of which nobody can afford.
And maybe I'm just a big complainer, but when I get in these modes it gets me to thinking about things... And I think I've even changed my mind on wanting to see G5 Powerbooks and G5 iMacs come out. By the time that happens, why settle for old technology? G5's have already been out for a while now, and who knows if, and when, if ever they will release G5 models for those computers. If they are going to make a major upgrade to them, I say wait for somthing new, don't put us off then stick year-and-a-half to two year old technology in them. Especially if all they'll do is slap a few more hundred MHz in there and give FSB a swift kick in the """ to boost it up a little to make it seem like a great upgrade like they did with the G5 upgrades this past spring. And thinking about it, there won't be half the FSB cause it'll most likely not be dual G5 upgrades, atleast not in the PowerBook. Those single G5 computers are nothing compared to the power of the Dual G5's. So maybe that's what I meant by old technology, knowing Apple they probly won't actually put 'brand new' technology in them yet sell it like it's from the future (price tag speaking). They'll prpbly put the same G5's we saw last Christmas for sale in a PowerPC in a PowerBook... I'd rather see them skip the G5 all togather considering how long it's taking to upgrade. It shouldn't take over a year to put a G5 in a powerbook I'm sorry. And now it'll be even LONGER! Guess I'd rather see em' put the real new stuff in it when it comes out.

Just a little peeved that all we got was monitors today. It woulda been nice to see them working on something new for the computers besides the already known Tiger 10.4 upgrade. You'd think as big as Apple is as a company, and with the banners they put up criticizing Redmond, that they had something major up their sleeves today. Or atleast something to upgrade to besides monitors. The way those banners came off it sounded like they were gonna slap some G5's in new computers or something, and release info on a new G6 processor even. I guess we'll have to 'wait' again to see if next time they will actually have something up their sleeve.

saddens my heart :(

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
A bit of a let down really, but maybe we have started hoping for too much. To sum up the displays seem pretty good, the 30" is awesome but so is the price tag. Tiger looks good but a fair way off and Konfabulator got screwed.

What we really want from a keynote is something cheap that will improve all our lives and we can get our hands on it today, or an update to a major product line PM, PB or iMac. (This is from the crazy rumor loving fanboy angle :eek: )

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Sabbath said:
What we really want from a keynote is something cheap that will improve all our lives and we can get our hands on it today, or an update to a major product line PM, PB or iMac. (This is from the crazy rumor loving fanboy angle :eek: )

I have to agree with you on that, affordable improvement would have been just what we're looking for. And I think the upgrades to PBs and iMacs woulda been great... today that is. I hope they get more for us for them in the future besides the upgrade we wanted today.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
No let down for me.

This show is NOT about the consumer, it never has been. The reason the G5 was released at it last year was for developers to learn how to code for the new chip. I don't know why people would expect an updated iMac, PB, etc at a developer's conference... there is nothing new there for the developers to have to worry about.

Truth be told I am surprised that the new monitors were announced at WWDC at all.

As far as Tiger being delayed for shipping, it is usually previewed at WWDC, and then ships in the fall (around October). People used to bitch that they had to pay for an OS upgrade once a year, now some are complaining that the OS upgrade isn't coming soon enough?

benoda

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2003
For all those trying to snuff the people complaining by saying this is a developers conference - how do new displays effect developers?
Cleary, in my opinion, claiming this is a developers conference should do nothing to curtail any expectation or soften the blow dealt by the lack luster updates.

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
WWDC is a devlopers' conference, nobody's second guessing that. But IT IS dissapointing when they didn't even so much as discuss any new 'developments' other then the already known Tiger. Even if we're not talking about a realease of a product here, they still didn't even bring up a discussion on new developments other then Tiger. (save for displays) Which sorry if that offends some, but since this thing is once a year - it is a little dissapointing.

Yes definitely looking to the Expo too, more hopes for that :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Regardless of whether the keynote was a disappointment or not for some, I just wanted to say thanks to Arn + crew for doing a great job on the updates - I followed them along the whole way.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
whooleytoo said:
FYI, video snippet of the keynote available at: News.com (Real and Windows Media formats).

That's a great clip, it was great to hear people "ooing" and "ahhing" when he showed iChat. Much different from the iTunes Europe announcement :D. I think everyone's being too hard on this keynote, myself included. I'm sure we'll see hardware announcements later this summer, or early fall, but the news about Tiger seems really exciting.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
MacFan26 said:
That's a great clip, it was great to hear people "ooing" and "ahhing" when he showed iChat. Much different from the iTunes Europe announcement :D. I think everyone's being too hard on this keynote, myself included. I'm sure we'll see hardware announcements later this summer, or early fall, but the news about Tiger seems really exciting.

Nah.. they just were pleased to see Danika! ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.