WWDC Kicks Off on Monday: Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple's 2011 Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off tomorrow with a keynote from Steve Jobs starting at 10am Pacific. Apple has already revealed that they will be talking about Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud at the event. Developer registration began today (photos above and below).

The early speculation about iCloud had primarily focused on Apple's impending deals with music companies and the ability to stream iTunes music to your Macs and iOS devices. But more recently, there's been talk about new iOS-powered Time Capsules that how might serve as some sort of file syncing hub or update caching system.

iOS seems up for a major update with rumors of revamped notifications and widgets as well as major twitter integration. A new Automatic Downloads feature for Apps also seems certain.

There have been some hints that Mac OS X Lion may be practically ready to launch with some even pinpointing date of June 14th as the targeted released date.

[​IMG]

As always, there are usually last minute rumors and leaks on the night prior to the event, so stay tuned.

Unfortunately, there's been no indication that Apple will be video streaming this event, but we'll provide live coverage during the keynote with photos and updates. Follow us @MacRumorsLive for live updates and @MacRumors for ongoing news and updates.
    <div style="border-top:1px solid #aaa; padding-top:5px;margin-top:5px;">Follow @macrumors
    Follow @macrumorslive<script src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" type="text/javascript"></script></div>

Article Link: WWDC Kicks Off on Monday: Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502

I can't wait. Seems they included iCloud in the press release because they had the banners ready to go anyway.

5. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet the new TC will look just like the iCloud logo. All silver and shiny with a big fat cloud on the top. Count on it! :)

6. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I can see iPhone 5 hidden into the ceiling with this better view. Can't wait to preorder mine! :p

7. macrumors 601

OneMike

8. macrumors 68040

Doesn't look like it :( I generally tend to wait now. The last few years MRLive has been painfully slow at getting notices out (I.e 15-20 minutes late) when compared to Ars and Engadget.

You can usually find a few bootlegged streams however they are such poor quality that its not worth bothering.

9. macrumors member

EricStriffler

I woke up this morning and thought it was Monday and once I rubbed my eyes and stretched I realized it was only Sunday... :'(

10. macrumors 6502

Did you read the entire post?

11. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Looking forward to following all the coverage!

12. Gen
    macrumors 6502a

Gen

I wish they didn't stop streaming the events live - I know they did a couple.

13. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

14. macrumors 68000

Nothing has been announced yet, usually, Apple offers details about live streams shortly before the event so there's still hope though.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors member

It doesn't look like the Iphone 5 will be released this year :(

17. macrumors 68000

Shame there will be no live stream of the event. I will probably head over to Engadget. They are usually good at the coverage.

18. macrumors 68040

Just had a thought.

Whats the betting that Google, Microsoft or Samsung will announce something huge either late tonight or early tomorrow. IIRC it happened last year (or the year before) as an attempt to lower focus on WWDC.

19. macrumors regular

Should we be expecting the new MBA to be revealed as well (even though they haven't said anything about it)?

20. macrumors 68000

21. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    No, not at WWDC. But later in the year, September is the rumor, yes. The fifth iPhone will go on sale in 2011.

22. macrumors 6502

I don't think Jun 14th would be giving app developers enough heads-up for the Lion launch, especially as many of them will be at WWDC this week. Most apps of course will run just fine, but there's definitely some that will require some work being done and developers should be given a fair heads-up that they need to actually make their apps start working as Lion reaches release candidate.

So far it's not been sensible to update to make apps work with Lion because it's in beta and things could still change. Dev's need some time with a build that's not going to change much before release.

23. macrumors 68040

No.

24. macrumors 601

Yvan256

I miss the fake elevator photos from a few years ago.

25. macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'm hopng for this myself... I'd like to give my MBP to my wife and scoop up a new Air!