Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r23w

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
wait why are people already inside the building? Did WWDC start today? I thought it started tomorrow

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
People said the same thing about Android a year ago or two as well, Android is like Ubuntu of the 00’s (in 5 years Ubuntu will be good enough for everyone!).

I don't get the comparison. Android is storming the masses and general consumer base. Ubuntu is still a geeks only OS. Walk into a room of 5,000 people and ask them to raise their hands if they know about Android. Almost everyone will raise their hand. Ubuntu.... crickets.

Android is more like Windows of late 1980s. It wasn't there... it came... it was everywhere.... and never went away. Ubuntu has been sitting in obscurity since day 1.

I agree with the OP. Apple is never going to compete. It's a numbers thing. Even if they released 2-3 iPhone models a year, they are going up against 100-300 new android devices per year. A slider iPhone... hey jobs...

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Be great to see 32gb and 64gb for the iphone for example. I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone 4. Retina display was great but frankly in casual use my visual acuity isn't sharp or fast enough to really tell any difference between my current phone. Speedwise the iphone 4 wasn't hugely faster than the 3gs. Guess this is why I like my upgrade cycle, these middle product refreshes seem to last longer than the "major" upgrades...

Same here, I moved from 3G right to 4. Every 2 years seems a sensible refresh timeline [for consumers], unless there's a hardware feature you desperately need.

I think the notification system is the big item here, they're definitely behind there. Other than that, who knows, they could surprise with more wide-reaching iOS UI changes, but would it be improvement or just change for change sake?

Not every product Apple releases is for everyone. It doesn't have to be. Would I like access to my entire music library everywhere? Sure. But that's me. If you don't care much about music, or if you don't have guaranteed connection, it may not matter to you.

As one of the guys on Angry Mac Bastards said, people need to develop a bit more selective apathy. Care about the things you care about, and don't expel any thought or energy on things that you don't.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You are correct. Yet, from other threads, it doesn't sound like the most current beta copies are anywhere near ready for prime time. I really hope they don't rush this out the door. Honestly, I was really hoping tomorrow they'd show off a revamped look or something, maybe a few new features, and a September-ish launch. Stability is worth waiting for.

I'm wondering how many more released (if any) we'll see under the OSX branding.

Agreed. IMO I'd like to see a major overhaul of the entire UI...its starting to feel dated and tweaks to gradients and the traffic lights simply aren't enough. It just looks very tired now.

I'd also like to see a new UI tomorrow along with a launch later in the year, heck maybe even in January. I just hope they don't rush this through just go get it up and out for WWDC! The last few OSX releases have been very uninspiring and just provide minor tweaks. Even Leopard didn't really add much in the way of core functionality other than search tweaks and a few select features used by a minority of users.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
haha, yes and welcome data caps, paying even MORE money for "faster" speeds, and even less battery life to support 4g.

Oh of course there will be the carrier greed. Especially if the idiots that are supposed to regulate monopolies allow the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. The more battery friendly chips coming this fall are already outdated though. Someone is already trying to outdo them.

Does LTE run in concert with GSM? (I know CDMA does not). Could that give AT&T devices better battery life not switching antennas all the time?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I don't get the comparison. Android is storming the masses and general consumer base. Ubuntu is still a geeks only OS. Walk into a room of 5,000 people and ask them to raise their hands if they know about Android. Almost everyone will raise their hand. Ubuntu.... crickets.

Android is more like Windows of late 1980s. It wasn't there... it came... it was everywhere.... and never went away. Ubuntu has been sitting in obscurity since day 1.

I agree with the OP. Apple is never going to compete. It's a numbers thing. Even if they released 2-3 iPhone models a year, they are going up against 100-300 new android devices per year. A slider iPhone... hey jobs...

I was comparing it towards your statement that Android will be polished in a year or two. People said the same thing about Ubuntu - that it would be polished in the future. Never happened. I don't think Android will be polished in one or two years, it usually don't work that way. Either you polish it day one or you don't at all.

You can't cash a check with market share, Apple has the profit in the mobile industry which is what really matters. Android may well be very popular in raw numbers but in mind share and profit it won't be a huge issue for Apple.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

I agree. I dont actually think it would even be possible for Apple to attempt to compete.

Heres the thing. Apple may start at the top when they introduce a new product, but once everyone else catches up several years later, Apple gets swept under the carpet. Just like the Mac. Eventually Android will take the face of smart phones and an iPhone will be a Mac of the computer world: A desired device, but not something you 'MUST' have. The only way Apple will change this is with multiple models, releases, etc...which I don't think they would be capable of....its not in their nature.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I was comparing it towards your statement that Android will be polished in a year or two. People said the same thing about Ubuntu - that it would be polished in the future. Never happened. I don't think Android will be polished in one or two years, it usually don't work that way. Either you polish it day one or you don't at all.

You can't cash a check with market share, Apple has the profit in the mobile industry which is what really matters. Android may well be very popular in raw numbers but in mind share and profit it won't be a huge issue for Apple.

That wasn't my statement, but now I get it. Sorry misunderstood the comparison. And I completely agree. Though it's funny to me with Honeycomb Google is pushing refinement and consistency, yet still leaving the cluster F(#)%# with mobile phones. Google never polishes anything they do really. For all the tech and offerings they point out, no matter how useful they are, they always come off as clunky. Like Google Docs. Ever upgrade still leaves you saying WTF?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

With respect, its Apples and Oranges. They cant be compared in any way at all. It'd be like comparing MS office with StarOffice.

Ubuntu is an OS with very little coverage. It doesn't have the apps people need. It doesn't have the backing of a well known body, etc.

Android has an active marketplace full of apps by known developers. It's backed by a household name, etc.

In addition, how many computers do you see in BestBuy running Ubuntu? Now how many phones in BestBuy do you see with Android on them?

See where I'm going here? They really aren't comparable in the slightest.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
I'm really hoping iOS5 brings jailbreak app Auto3G's functionality to increase battery life. If it were worked in with the OS it would operate even better than it does now.

Anyone here tried Auto3G? If so, you know what I mean.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I agree. I dont actually think it would even be possible for Apple to attempt to compete.

Heres the thing. Apple may start at the top when they introduce a new product, but once everyone else catches up several years later, Apple gets swept under the carpet. Just like the Mac. Eventually Android will take the face of smart phones and an iPhone will be a Mac of the computer world: A desired device, but not something you 'MUST' have. The only way Apple will change this is with multiple models, releases, etc...which I don't think they would be capable of....its not in their nature.

Agreed!
I think Apple's biggest problem is the minor incremental updates they do, and then tout them as something NEW AND EXCITING. It goes back to basic phone features like MMS and how long it took to include such basic things that should have been there at launch. Same with hardware. I see the marketing strategy in there, but they need to step it up a bit. In the time it takes to get 1 IOS refresh, Google puts out 2-3 with major changes and updates.

This year Widgets are going to be a hot feature (if the rumor is true). Widgets??? Something every other phone already has? Even basic messaging devices? (Face slap.) However, I am holding out hope that IOS5 will leave us with our tongues hanging out, but I'm also a realist that won't be disappointed if it lacks any wow factor.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

Attachments

• icloudelevator.jpg
    icloudelevator.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 209

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
NEW TWITTER INTEGRATION!!! ZOMG!! I for one cannot wait for iOS 5 to finally have twitter integration!

/end sarcasm

iOS 5 is probably going to fail if out of the top 3 upgrades, twitter integration is one of them...le sigh...

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
That wasn't my statement, but now I get it. Sorry misunderstood the comparison. And I completely agree. Though it's funny to me with Honeycomb Google is pushing refinement and consistency, yet still leaving the cluster F(#)%# with mobile phones. Google never polishes anything they do really. For all the tech and offerings they point out, no matter how useful they are, they always come off as clunky. Like Google Docs. Ever upgrade still leaves you saying WTF?

Yeah, Google likes to get things out as quickly as possible and they count on people's willingness to use them because they are free, not because they're great which is Apple's approach.

With respect, its Apples and Oranges. They cant be compared in any way at all. It'd be like comparing MS office with StarOffice.

Ubuntu is an OS with very little coverage. It doesn't have the apps people need. It doesn't have the backing of a well known body, etc.

Android has an active marketplace full of apps by known developers. It's backed by a household name, etc.

In addition, how many computers do you see in BestBuy running Ubuntu? Now how many phones in BestBuy do you see with Android on them?

See where I'm going here? They really aren't comparable in the slightest.

Android is well spread but it's not well known, the majority of Android users have no clue they are using Android. As for apps, Linux has apps that match their more well known counterparts but much like Android apps they are not as good as the competition. Android apps are there but no Android app is as polished and functional as iOS apps.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm still vainly praying to the live stream gods. A perfect way to test out the new data center, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I wonder how Apple decides whether to do a stream or not. If they are not confident that their servers can handle it, or they don't want to incur the costs, why not charge a small access fee? I'd totally pay $5 to watch it.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Anyone know of a place streaming (either audio or audio/video) WWDC tomorrow? I'd like to watch it through my iPhone while at work.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
I hope...

I am very excitedbto hear whats new. Not big on twitter, just not my not my thing. Cloud = very cool, I hope and OS 5. Very excited for Lion. With no date on FCX I would love to just hear a street date. Such as "Lion will cone out June 22nd......and Final Cut X will be the first powerful app to be used day 1 with Lion." something like that. Just please one sentence on FCX all I ask.
This should be a great show, I live near SF, to bad I can't go!

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I'll never understand the determined hatred some people have for social networking.
I believe Maverick's point was not that Twitter integration would make iOS 5 a fail, but that the OS would be a flop if Twitter integration is a top new feature. Most people would hope that after a year Apple would have more to offer than simply the addition of a social network to their mobile operating system. I would agree with this. But, we'll see what tomorrow holds.

Hueyfreeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Just had a thought.

Whats the betting that Google, Microsoft or Samsung will announce something huge either late tonight or early tomorrow. IIRC it happened last year (or the year before) as an attempt to lower focus on WWDC.

Im betting Microsoft they did it to google this year with the purchase of Skype right before Google IO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.