WWDC Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hammackj, Jun 9, 2005.

1. hammackj macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a Powerbook this week and I was wondering when do they announce the new things or product updates? Did not really want to drop 2700 then have a super duper powerbook get released, even though it cant be much of a difference than the current ones.

Thanks
    hammackj

2. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Check out the Buyer's Guide on the above tab. Powerbooks are historically in mid-cycle. Plus with the Intel rumours, I'd be amazed if any Apple computers got new form factors before the big change over.

I see no reason to wait. If you were after an iBook then that would be a whole other story.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

4. hammackj thread starter macrumors newbie

When do they announce if they are releasing something new? I was under the impression that they announced new products/updates during these type events.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would wait for an iBook
    I would NOT wait for a PowerBook.

The next step for PB is G5 you can tell by watching the Keynote because Jobs apparently is a bit bummed with himself that he couldn't give a G5 in a PB today if he wanted to. I am waiting to buy an upgrade until 2006 of the PBook, but I may buy an iMac by the end of the year.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

ye i think powerbooks are a good buy at the moment if you need one go ahead and get one.

ShadOW :eek:

7. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I agree with the first two lines, but the next step is not a G5. I doubt there will ever be a G5 PB. The next step major step will be an Intel PB.

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Sometimes new product announcements are made during these type events (note- the PowerMac G5 @WWDC 2003), sometimes new product announcements just come around (note- the relatively recent upgrades to PowerMac and Powerbook lines).

If you need it, buy it.

9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

There is no way that Apple would put all the time and money into redesigning the board and a cooling system, just for one upgrade for the Powerbook. The Powerbook, will probably get one of these three options:
    1) Some sort of dual processor
    2) Speed increase
    3) Maybe it won't get another upgrade at all before the switch to Intel

To me, those are the three options. My personal opinion is that there will just be a speed increase, with no dual or dual-core.

10. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

There won't be a G5 PowerBook. I think there will be one more PB update (around July/Aug) before they switch to Intel in early 2006 (revealed during MWSF 2006?) because that's when Intel's Yonah chip comes out.

11. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Why not just wait for the newer iBook, buy that, and then sell it once the Macintels come out? If they do in fact update the iBook, it's going to be very close in specs to a PB anyways...