WWDC Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by skoker, Mar 8, 2006.

1. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Ok:

I'm a teen who is sitting on a free round-trip ticket on US Airways that I have to use this year. Seeing as WWDC is in August this year when I'm not in school, I thought about flying to SFO to see the keynote and what not.

My question is: would a trip from Buffalo to San Fran be worth it? Is there anything interesting to do at WWDC besides the keynote? Would I be able to get into the keynote?

I'm not a developer or anything (yet) but I curious to see if you think I should make this trip or not.

-skoker

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

First, if you're not interested in programming, or developing some type of product for Apple (now or in the future) then it probably isn't worth the money to attend WWDC. Every aspect of it is aimed at developers.

Having said that:

All WWDC attendees are able to attend the keynote. I don't think they've ever completely filled the auditorium. As far as other things to do, there are several evening events:

"Stump the Experts" is always a blast. The audience of developers against a large panel of Apple employees in a battle of Apple trivia. Always a great time!

The Apple Design Awards are good, if you're into the awards-show type thing. Get to see many great products you may not have heard of.

And last, but certainly not least, the Apple Campus Bash! Food, fun, and live entertainment held in the center courtyard at Apple HQ.

Past performers:

2003 - Fiction Plane
    2004 - Jimmy Eat World
    2005 - The Wallflowers

If you get bored with the endless developer sessions, you can always spend the rest of your time in the gaming area. ;)

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Also, SF and the surrounding area ROCKS.
    If you get bored with the WWDC, you could always go chill in SF.

I am fascinated listening to stuff about programming. Even though I understand abuot .0001% of it, I still find it incredibly cool!

I think I'm just a stupid nerd-face, though.
    *shrug*

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I wouldn't know, as I've never left the conference. Does that make me a stupid nerd-face? :confused:

Seriously, I'm sure there's lots of fun stuff to do in SF, but it's been about 7 years since I've been there for anything other than WWDC.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

it isn't free entry though. isn't wwdc ridiculously expensive to attend?

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you order by June 23, admission is $1,295. After that, it's $1,595.

7. skoker thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

Heh. I kinda 'discounted' the fact that you had to pay to get in *oops*

I've got a friend in San Mateo I'd like to go visit, shame that I probably won't be able to.

*eyes MacBook Pro*

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Stump the experts is definitely one of the highlights. Getting in is expensive though. I have a job that has a premier membership (score!) and I'm the only one who can understand almost any of the stuff. There is a *LOT* of intense training and the whole thing feels like a pep rally. Well the good kind where you get all fired up, not the bad kind where a tone deaf cheerleader screams in your ear and you get beat up by the football team.

Except perhaps last year when people were getting ready to lynch steve for the whole intel thing.