Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Ah, it looks like Tiger is no longer supported. I suppose that was inevitable, but my old iBook is still a useful machine. I suppose it's less useful now.

Yeah i guess tiger is officially obsolete. Kinda sad because i know my clamshell ibook will never be able to run a newer OS. But tiger is more or less up to date for current "light browsing". but in 5 years "light browsing" will involve consuming many GB of data per day, and tiger wont be too cool with that. looks like my clamshell will be a museum piece soon.

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
Surely, you have access to another computer on the Death Star.

Not a joke. Really slow. I think it some bug and we will see 5.01 soon.

Edit 2010 06 10 11:03:

Now it's insanely fast. I think that could have been problem with my ISP. Much faster than Chrome now.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
But tiger is more or less up to date for current "light browsing". but in 5 years "light browsing" will involve consuming many GB of data per day, and tiger wont be too cool with that.

Mine’s the 1.42 GHz G4 with the max of 1.5 GB memory. While that’s certainly not the same as my MBP, I’m still able to push it beyond well light browsing…several tabs in Safari, several photos in Photoshop, iTunes, and MS Word and/or Excel all simultaneously…with only minimal crankiness from the machine at times.

My only complaint with the machine is that the battery is dead, dead, dead (and I don’t see the need to pony up for a replacement), and by today’s standards, it weighs a ton. Also there’s a big chunk taken out of the corner and the lid is cattywompus…but is did survive that dropping in the street when the strap broke on my bag while on my bike!

stelriah

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
iTunes' artwork panel in the sidebar crossfades the album covers when switching songs and the arrow to toggle selected song/now playing is gone but it still let's you switch.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Chrome is still much faster on my machine.

Apple says that Safari 5 is the fastest browser in the world. 3% faster than chrome. However all of my tests using Chrome versus Safari 5 show that Chrome is about 15 - 20% faster. In addition videos play much smoother and with less buffering delays on Chrome vs. Safari 5.

Chrome still wins as far as I can tell.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I have, in the course of work as an on-site computer repair person, witnessed installations of Internet Explorer where more than 50% of the vertical screen real estate was taken up by toolbars.

I *REALLY* hope Apple makes some limit on number of toolbars. One or two. If you try to add a third, a chooser pops up "which bar(s) do you wish to keep?" In the chooser, there should be a not-checked-by-default "allow more toolbars" option. Even if you check it, when you go to install another toolbar, the chooser should pop up again, with the box UN-checked by default. The chooser should warn you of the folly of using more than 1-2 toolbars; and third-party toolbars should be readily distinguishable from the standard Safari toolbar.

We do *NOT* need Safari to be the recipient of a dozen simultaneous toolbars.

Your confused, Extensions do not Equal toolbars. I have 3 extensions installed and you would never know it by looking at my Safari window. Extensions can add toolbars, but most of them will probably add buttons, or nothing visible at all.

Dear God, someone please write a mute button for Safari! I'm sick of having my system volume down just so I don't have to hear annoying web pages.

Is this possible? Can a developer chime in, and/or make an extension? I used to Use Detour for this, but it died when we switched to Intel.

Kurite

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
If Zotero can be written for Safari as an extension... that would be terrific. It's the best way to cite websites in papers (once exported to Bibtex) and archive webpages. Paired with Mendeley, it's a great stack for research papers.

Here's hoping devs take advantage of Safari extensions!

Oh, and I have not noticed any differences in speed. Slow or fast. Frankly, I think it is a bit of a stretch for anyone to notice real differences in speeds without some bias. Independent quantitative tests are better in this case.

Examinus

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I'm sure people appreciate your efforts, but...

Anyways, a strange things happened last night. I installed the AdBlock extension and it was working very well. I closed Safari and a few hours later, began surfing the web again. And the Adblock extension was totally gone. Like it had uninstalled itself. Is this normal behavior or a bug or what?

I think it's brilliant. I often forget to reload all my windows from the last session and lose my browsing arrangement. This solves that!

Has anybody come across a version of Keywurl that's written for Safari 5?

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
Your confused, Extensions do not Equal toolbars. I have 3 extensions installed and you would never know it by looking at my Safari window. Extensions can add toolbars, but most of them will probably add buttons, or nothing visible at all.

Is this possible? Can a developer chime in, and/or make an extension? I used to Use Detour for this, but it died when we switched to Intel.

Yes that would be awesome.

vicvicvic

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm the developer of Gmail Checker. Figured I'd chime in on some stuff I've learned and some questions raised here.

First off though, I'm really glad to see so many people use my extension. The amount of traffic to my website has increased exponentially since yesterday – I'm gonna have to upgrade my account if this goes on :)

I also just added support for Google Apps Domains. If you've already got the extension installed, all you have to do is let it update automatically or from the extension preferences in Safari.

This plugin is obviously not for those people who choose to IMAP their Gmail.

ok so after having to search online on just how to even enable extensions so i can install it.. i finally got the gmail extenuation installed right. Now, i want to know how to tell it which account to fetch. I have a few, and I need to know how to tell it which one I want it to check....

anyone here had any luck figuring that out?

The extension will check whatever account you're currently logged in to.

I've been looking into multi-account support (or even just specifying credentials in the preferences for checking a specific account). Unfortunately this awakens the anger of the WebKit bug noted at the download page (well it's only really a problem if you can't be arsed to enter correct login details).

Furthermore, for multiple account support, the current settings system is not customizable enough I'm afraid. We can't have a variable number of fields or even multiline inputs, so there's no real way to add accounts. I guess I could make my own preferences thing but yeah...

Okay, call me paranoid or whatever...but how do I know that if I install that little Gmail checker extension and put in my account and password that it's not just going to take that info an steal my account? I mean, this plug-in is just out there in the wild, right? No vetting process?

Just wondering.

A valid concern! I can promise you that my extension is safe in this regard, however. Not only do you never actually type your password into it (so it can't really steal it) – I've also set its domain policies to only allow connections to *.google.com. Unfortunately the latter doesn't seem to be anything that shows up for the end user. The source code is also for everyone to see at github.com

Generally, you should obviously always be wary of downloading stuff from the Internet. But that's a general concern with the Internet, methinks :)

It should be noted though, that ALL extensions must be signed by the developer with a key issued by Apple. If they discover a malicious extension, they should be able to track the developer down (and probably disable the extension as well). That said, there is no vetting process per se for getting a key...

--

About mute button: Extensions can "inject" (this is the official term but it nevertheless sounds malwarish to me) javascript into web pages that you visit. This should make it possible to stop <audio> tags from playing. Controlling Flash would generally be more difficult – I believe controlling Flash from Javascript requires a compatible SWF. Just some thoughts.

--

As for the development of extensions: It's amazingly easy! I've never done it before (for other browsers) but the API provided is very straightforward and easy to use. I managed to put this thing together in a couple of hours, with no previous extension experience. The API is still young, and has a couple of issues.

I'm mainly missing more flexible extension settings and the possibility to play audio (for notifications). Oh, and documentation that's not incorrect...

We'll probably see a lot of ****** extensions popping up. While it will be possible to install "off-site" extensions, Apple will soon release their Extension Gallery. Apple being Apple, I'm assuming this will be mother of walled gardens. The agreement for signing up for the gallery is ... well, one-sided. For good or bad.

TyloBedo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I miss "tabs on top" from the beta. It's the best bit of Google Chrome for me, just seems like a more logical place to put them.

If I can get an exstention for tabs on top, a blue loading bar, and then get the already made reload button I'll be pretty damn happy.

Does anybody know if the reload button also turns to an X while a page is still loading?

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star

Thanks. Works like a charm. Goodbye SIMBL. Also there is nice Youtube extension that switches to html5 video instead of Flash. Now i can go simply to youtube.com and watch almost anything in html5 video.

Another thing: will these extensions have an impact on Safari overall speed? (I remember reading somewhere that Adblock on Chrome would have some impact on the rendering speed and whatnot...)

As far as i can tell with reload button :D + Adblock + youtube html5 converter i see no drop in performance.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks. Works like a charm. Goodbye SIMBL. Also there is nice Youtube extension that switches to html5 video instead of Flash. Now i can go simply to youtube.com and watch almost anything in html5 video.

As far as i can tell with reload button :D + Adblock + youtube html5 converter i see no drop in performance.

So if I uninstall Safari Adblocker, will it also automatically remove SIMBL that came with it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How does this one compare with Safari Adblocker (which I currently have running)?

Another thing: will these extensions have an impact on Safari overall speed? (I remember reading somewhere that Adblock on Chrome would have some impact on the rendering speed and whatnot...)

It works the same way and even uses the same block lists.

I only use the "Easylist" block list and do not notice any drop in performance. I too have read that running too many of these block lists at the same time can slow down browser performance. The dev even mentions this on the page where you select which lists to use.

The advantage of this extension over Safari Adblocker, is Safari Adblocker uses a system hack called SIMBL that has some security flaws and is inherently less stable than a Apple supported extension API.

cbot

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Mouse Gestures

I just wrote a pretty basic Safari extensions that adds simple mouse gestures.
It's probably not the greatest piece of software and it's more or less untested, but it does seem to work here. You can download the extension on http://extensions.cbot-gsm.de if you think it might be useful for you.

bananafishbones

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
any info on itunes 9.2 hardware requirements? Just had a sudden panic that it might be Intel only. Having just bought an iPad, and iPhone 4 just around the corner I don't think I could afford to replace my G5 iMac.

I had the same question and that's how I got in here, but don't worry my friend, it works!
I'm installing it right now in my iBook G4 933 Mhz running 10.4.11 so there's no problem at all. Let me show you the requirements straight up from the "Read me"

iTunes 9.2 requirements

Hardware:
• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor
•*Intel, PowerPC G5 or 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor is required to play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store
•*2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras from the iTunes Store
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras
•*Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
• Playing videos also requires at least 16MB of video RAM
•*Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
• Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work.
•*Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work.

Software:
•*Mac*OS*X version 10.4.11 or later; Mac OS X version 10.5 or later is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
•*QuickTime 7.6 or later
• Support for HE-AAC requires QuickTime 7.6.4 and Mac OS X version 10.5 or later
• Safari 4.0.3 or later
•*200MB of available disk space

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.

Shame the html5 extension for youtube doesn't allow you to switch between 720 - 1080 and you're stuck with this lame black bar with no way to adjust the volume. Full or mute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.