Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Anyone thats been to WWDC last year...was it worth it? Id call myself a pretty good Objective C programer that knows the iPhone SDK pretty well, but I haven't learned everything.

I dont want to go there and find out that its a bunch of people lecturing you for a week on stuff you already know(like Apple's iPhone Tech Talk sessions were).

Id like to hear the thoughts on iPhone programmers that have been to WWDC.

Thanks!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The sessions are similar to the ones given at the tech talks, but there are a lot more of them, and many of them go more in-depth. A lot of the material is already covered in the copious documentation, but includes hints and tricks that are new or that one might have missed on first reading(s). You also get to talk with some of the engineers who wrote the OS code or tools.

If you learn enough to increase your sales by around $10/day, or make enough connections to get (or contract out) a few dozen hours of consulting work, or find some new business partnerships or opportunities, attending could be more than worth it.

Plus, if you are selling apps, the tax deduction likely pays for a healthy percentage of the business cost (but ianal & ianacpa).

ymmv.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
It's not only the cost of the sessions but flight, hotel and food for the week. Pretty pricey, I would love to go but there is no way I could afford to do that unless a business paid for it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Pretty pricey, I would love to go but there is no way I could afford to do that unless a business paid for it.

Or unless you gambled on finding, creating or learning how to create enough new business there (that you couldn't do at home) to pay for the trip.

ymmv.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
This years is shaping up to be well worth attending anyway. If rumours are correct then there's going to be a new iPhone launch and snow leopard will finally be unveiled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.