WWDC06 - Games State of the Union

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/index.html#002

As some of you may know today kicked off the Worldwide Developer Conference '06 and some great announcements have already been made (Mac Pros now available, Leopard info, etc).

But if you look through the schedule (linked above) you can find some other interesting sessions that are scheduled, namely:

Games State of the Union
    "Like music and movies, games are an integral part of the digital lifestyle. Gaming on the Mac offers a great opportunity for you to bring original products to the platform, port world-class titles for a new audience, or develop the next best-selling game for multiple platforms. Kick off the gamers' view of WWDC 2006 with this overview, and get a glimpse of things to come."

I underlined a couple parts I found interesting, which could both be hints at some sort of iTunes or iTunes-like integration... although that is entirely speculation.

Also in the schedule are several OpenGL-specific sessions as well.

Here's hoping Apple will make some announcements that are directly related to improve Mac game development!

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Hints? Nothing hinting about it. The next patch for WoW will allow the Mac clients to control iTunes from within WoW.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I never figured something out. Do the Intel Macs use standard PC graphics cards, or Mac edition cards?

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

No one knows. These are exactly the questions being asked right now. Until someone gets their Mac Pro I don't know if we'll be able to say for certain.

I'm sure hopeful they're the same (as PCs)!

6. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't be, since Macs are using "normal" PC motherboards/processors.

Now whether or not there is Mac OS support for them is another thing entirely... I would imagine. (So it may be possible that a video card would work in XP under Boot Camp but not on OSX). Seems at least feasible.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think they're specific Mac editions....

You can now get a Retail (Upgrade kit) of the ATi Radeon X1900 XT which is only for the Mac Pro.
    So, it looks like you must get a "Mac" card.