WWJD

Discussion in 'Community' started by jelloshotsrule, Nov 20, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

What Would Jesus Drive?

i thought this was interesting. kind of a meeting of the traditional left and right.... ie, religious folk meet environmentalism.....

as a catholic with heavy environmental concerns, i've often hoped that church leaders of all types would see the connection between treating god's creation as sacred and not driving suv's.....

word.

2. sturm375 macrumors 6502

The "Madden" bus. Modified of course so it's not football(american) oriented. How else would he take his disciples with him?

If he were by himself, he'd walk.

Hitch a ride maybe?

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. good stuff....

maybe in a bmw convertible too... gotta get the locks of hair flopping in the breeze... ha

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

In the interest of conserving fuel (thus lessening the perceived need for us to go to war with the Middle East), I figure Christ would order groceries, pay bills, and interact and perform miracles entirely online (negating the need to travel farther than the mailbox).

BTW - You know there's a bad-ass Mac on this guy's desk.

Then again, maybe a Segway. Ooh, now there's a thought!

Dan

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I saw this last week and was amazed that people actually take this seriously - and if Jesus was around today, he wouldn't need to drive, someone would be driving him around.

D

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what do you mean "take this seriously"?

it's just a sign that someone made during the local christian folks' rally against suvs.

i'm not sure if anyone followed the link, i guess i should have made it more clear that it was more than just a joke question....

and no one would be driving him around.

i think rower was on the nose with public transportation, though i could also see the internet thing... though, he'd need to get out with the people more. maybe just on foot...

EDIT: i realize that it's a bigger campaign (ie, the what would jesus drive? thing) but it's obviously just to get people to think about the consequences of what type of vehicle they drive...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I read about it a month or so ago that a group of clergy of some sort in Texas desided that Jesus would not drive an SUV. I can't find it, but a search on google got me this - some people are taking it seriously.

http://fccbucc.pair.com/would_jesus_drive_an_suv.htm

D

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i never equated born again christians with environmental concerns

i thought they;

1) wanted to cut down all the trees
    2) teach creationism and bring us back to a flat earth belief ;)
    3) rid the world of all democrats
    4) really don't serve god, but money, their real motivation

so, hats off to any otherwise ultra right wing leaning christians who actually read the bible and realize that god wants us to be good stewards of the planet

it's about time someone said something against people with suv's who buy them just to be riding something big for the reason of riding something big

for those who have an actual purpose (countryside residents, farmers, contractors, etc...the suv may make sense...but let's not try and become more dependent on iraq...opec held the usa hostage with as little as 6% of the imported oil...it's called leverage and it may be one reason we have not deposed saddam)

10. diorio macrumors 6502a

I could see him on a motorcycle or in a sports car. But he would probably drive a beat up VW bug or a station wagon.

11. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I wish I could remember the link, but a while ago I saw a report on a group that was making a whole series of bumper stickers that would say things like "I'm Changing the Environment. Ask Me How!"
    If you signed up they would send you a bunch of them and then you were supposed to find SUV's in shopping mall parking lots and put the sticker on their bumper. I think it was called SUV hunting or something. They had exculsions, like you weren't supposed to do it to work trucks, or in rural or mountainous areas where a SUV might be legitimately used.

edit: found the link!

http://www.changingtheclimate.com/

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I love Google!

http://www.changingtheclimate.com/

13. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Thanks Rower!
    I think I googeld it the exact same moment you did!

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

LOL! There's some really funny stuff on that site...video and pictures...

I'm surprised I haven't seen more here in SD...hmmmm...;)

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So, this brings up the question... are we targeting ALL SUV's or just the big gas-guzzling ones? 'Cause I just bought a Toyota RAV4, and unlike some soccer moms, I actually got an SUV for a purpose: I need a protected area in the back to haul stuff. Mainly my instruments, and Mac hardware when I'm on the job.

My "SUV" is the smallest of the small (with the possible exception of the Subaru Forester), and it gets about 24mpg in-town and 30mpg highway. So am I a viable target? I should hope not, because I am a very environmentally conscious individual.

16. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

This IS actually why Bush wants to attack Iraq: to set up a US-friendly government, ie. to be independant of S. Arabia oil-wise. This is also why the French are opposed to the attacking of Saddam as some big French oil company already has contracts with Iraq.

Just my political interpretation...

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

almost always comes down to money

18. sturm375 macrumors 6502

So you're advocating destruction of property. Unless these bumper stickers come off easily, you've just cost the owner of that SUV hundereds of dollars. I believe this is criminal behavior.

I am all for the environmental awareness, but only within the law.

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

And because the environment is not anyone's property per se, it's OK to drive a vehicle that pollutes unnecessarily?

Read the site, they give instructions on where to place them so as to cause little/no damage to the vehicle. Other than the inconvenience of removing them, there should be no danger of costing anyone "hundreds of dollars".

20. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jesus drives a SC Nissan Frontier Crew Cab and a Jeep CJ7

Jesus's parents drive a Jeep Liberty:cool:

21. 3777 macrumors 6502

.....:rolleyes:

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Unbeliever!!! You shall burn in Hell for eternity! ;)

Seriously, though...a Jeep?!? A vehicle developed by the Army?!?!! Come on... :p

23. 3777 macrumors 6502

:cool:

24. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

25. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

See you there! :p