WYSIWYG Web Page Builder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sie0174@gmail.c, Jan 14, 2005.

1. sie0174@gmail.c macrumors newbie

My dad has commissioned me to build a web page for his business. I'm looking for a cheap, easy to use web page builder for OS X. I'm not sure if Pages in iWork 05 would be suitable for this, as the product description doesn’t mention anything about web sites.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If your budget is $0.00, check out the Composer (I think that's what it's called) app included with the latest versions of the Mozilla Suite.

http://www.mozilla.org/

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Pages can export to HTML. How well it does it is completely beyond me, I'll let you know the 22nd :). As for cheap solutions, I've used Freeway but if I remember correctly, the non-pro version does not allow use of CSS, which is a huge turn off for me. Freeway Pro might be a better option. I am a GoLive person but I doubt it will be in your budget.

jon

5. sie0174@gmail.c thread starter macrumors newbie

my budget is ~$100. freeway express would seem to fill all my requirments. although, it looks like you need to buy some add-ons for some of the nicer visual stuff. i have a copy of golive cs, i really dont want to take the time to learn how to use it though.

i guess ill wait until after the 22nd and go into the apple store and play around with pages to see if it will be sufficient.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I started using GoLive at a young age, probably when I was 15 or so at version 4. I would recommend getting a book at B&N that lays out the program quite simply. In reality, if you are doing basic things it is not going to be any harder than say a program like Freeway. I still use my GoLive book from version 5 as a reference, and they are at version 7 now and rumors point to 8 soon.

jon

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Why GoLive? Its worse than Dreamweaver IMHO.

GoLive creates bulky code, Dreamweaver is a bit better than GoLive. :)

8. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

If I remember right, Dreamweaver is $100 or so. I use it for various web projects, and have found that it works well.

However, if you have a copy of GoLive CS, why not use it? Making basic web pages is going to be pretty much the same in any editing software...you just have to learn a few buttons.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If I had the time, I would have done the site for you for FREE. :)

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm pretty happy with Dreamweaver. With the help of a simple book it's pretty easy to get stuck in and start building web pages quickly. The split view is also useful to get to grips with the actual code and helps you learn as you go along.

You could always download the 30 free trial to see if it suits your needs. And yes it is a fully functional trial ;) :)