X.1.5 reinstall problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rainman::|:|, Sep 22, 2002.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

okay, this doesnt happen to me often, but i have a problem i can't fix. About a week ago, my modem died, and rather than accept it as a hardware issue, i tried everything i could to fix it in software. this included reinstalling the OS from my 10.1 CDs, and of course it didn't fix my modem, so i wound up having to use .1 for a few days before our cable account got activated. Well as soon as i had a connection, i re-upgraded to 10.1.5, along with all the security and other updates i could find (i wound up having to manual download most of it, software update decided to blank out)... Long story shory, my computer will now not restart or shut down under it's own power. The finder exits, the dock collapses, and it sits at that blue screen with spinning ball for as long as you let it, until you unplug or hit the reset switch. This is starting to kill me, i can't change my monitor geometry because it defaults every reboot. Any ideas on what the hell to do? i do have diablotin and tinkertool installed, as well as transparent dock... but they've never caused probs before...

thanks in advance...

:confused:
    pnw

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know everyone always says this but it's worth a shot, ZAP your PRAM:
    Do this by pressing and holding down Command+Option+P+R at startup.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Check the Apple KBase douments. I know there is a section that deals with the re-installation of 10.1.5 and known problems. There is a specific sequence you must follow, and if all the updates are not installed in a proper order, they can damage your system.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

You might as well reset your open firmware and do a file system check while you're at it...wouldn't hurt.

Firmware:
    [​IMG] Boot up [​IMG] Hold down the following keys: Apple - Option - O - F [​IMG] Type in
    reset-all

File System Check:
    [​IMG] Boot up [​IMG] Hold down the following keys: Apple - S [​IMG] type in
    fsck -y
    Run it again if you get any problems. When done, hit Control - D.

5. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Did you use the right updater? The combo one if you were updating from something less than 10.1.4, and the other if it was 10.1.4. When we installed 10.1.5, we used the combo updater, when we shouldn't have and it crashed in the middle of it and we had to format the disk. If you had 9 and X on separate partitions you should be able to still boot into 9 and rescue your files. This is a HUGE bug on apple's part.

Also if you know how to use the command line, you might still be able to boot into a command line interface by pressing command-s when it starts up.

6. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

My computer is still running fine; it just won't restart/shut down and therefore save system settings like it should. when i re-upgraded, i did do the combo update, i think i went and got the installer update first tho. I went to apple's kbase, looked around and couldn't find the info i need (everything is downgrading from jag to 10.1.5 right now), and i asked without getting a reply.

i'll try that firmware reset, who knows? :)

thx everyone for the ideas...

pnw

7. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

Well no thanks to apple's discussion forums, it's working. KC, your firmware suggestion was right on par-- i hadn't even thought about it, but the installer crashed when it was preparing to restart, and i'll bet the last cleanup activity it performs is resetting the firmware, which didn't get done. All seems to be going fine again, thanks again everyone!!

now i can finally get down to enjoying my new cable modem!

:)
    paul