X 11, Abiword, Office, and appleworks.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Coca-Cola, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Well, it finally happened. I had to erase my hard drive and reinstall OS X. I lost a great deal of stuff even though I did do a back up. I lost my password for Appleworks 6.2. I can't udate from 5 which I have on CD. I got 6 via download. So it's gone.

I thought about getting the eduational version of Office for the new price. But I can't afford anything right now.

So I decided to try X 11 and Abiword. Wow!

I can not believe this is free! Abiword is awesome. If you haven't tried using X 11 and Abiword. Do it. It's free and easy to use. Great work!:)

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i've tried abiword and was quite impressed with it (especially considering its small size and smaller price). my one problem is that i can't seem to use fonts from my /Library directories. does anyone know how to do this, or even where to put fonts so that they work with AbiWord?

3. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a new user, so I can't really help you with the font issue.

I really wonder what apple is up to lately as far as a word processor goes. I was very suprised when they chose to build Safari off of, whatever it is called instead of the Mozilla engine.

I could see them answering their word processing issues with a build around Abiword.

But then again, there is the whole Openoffice (when?) situation and the pissing off Microsoft situation.

Hmmm. Any thoughts?

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

One thing though: I've tried using AbiWord (and it's quite nice if you don't mind the Windows-esque interface), but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it print. Anyone know?

5. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I get it to print either. Darn.

6. charley macrumors newbie

abiword

I couldn't get abi word to print either, I dumped it and went withOpenOffice.
    charley