X-com?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Oct 21, 2005.

1. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I remember reading about a remake or a port at least of the old game X-COM... the turn based strategy game with the aliens, etc.

Now I can't find the thread with the details, but does anyone know, a) if there is such a remake/port going on? b) is it OS X compatiblem? c) will the original DOS game run under any free/cheap emulators? and d) can you still buy the game anywhere on the cheap (ie, is it in any value pack discsm etc)?

2. macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I would definitely get a remake for the Mac ... that is one of the best games ever, IMHO.

In the meantime, there's a game coming out for the GBA called Rebelstar Tactical Command, which looks just like the tactical parts of X-Com. I'm dying to get my hands on that one.

3. macrumors 65816

Poff

It should run on a good DOS-emulator, even though I haven't tried myself.

A port to OSX would be cool tho.

Rebelstar will be cool I guess, even though I got bored with the missions after a while. Researching was the cool part. And a good game of FF FF FF 7F in liglob.dat now and then.

Remember the first time you started researching on your own UFO's? That was great! A friend and I were up much longer at night than we were allowed to, and had several big moments w/UFO: Enemy Unknown as the name was in Europe.

4. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Get DosBox from macupdate and go to abandonia for all the x-c-m games. Read my post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154131 if you can get it to run send me a step by step guide on how you did it.

5. macrumors 6502a

jalagl

X-Com had a lot of moments like that:
    • First time a @!#$ ethereal possesed one of your best soldiers
    • First time you raided the alien's bases
    • First time you captured an alien leader (don't remember the name)
    • First time you got to Cydonia
    • First time you built your own interceptors (?)
    • First time you built the hover tanks
    • etc, etc...

Maybe that's what made the game so cool. And I agree with you that the research part rulz... I'm a turn-based strategy addict myself, so I did enjoy the battles a lot. Still do - I have it installed in an old 486 laptop, but I almost never play it anymore.

6. thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ah thanks for that... got it working and it runs OK on my mini. However, I think I am going to have to dust off my old 333mhz PC and install FreeDOS or something on there. Did the sequel to UFO run in DOS or was it a Windows game?

7. macrumors 6502a

jalagl

The first sequel, Terror from the Deep, was DOS-based. The third one ran on Windows, IIRC.

8. macrumors 65816

Poff

I have the third one somewhere. I believe you can get it running on DOS aswell. IMO the third one got way too complicated. Apart from that, it was fun with the added RTS-part.