X-Files Film Sequel?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lyle, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Slashdot is reporting that a sequel to the X-Files movie may be in the works (although some later posts to that thread indicate that David Duchovny may have jumped the gun when he made this claim).

If you are a fan of the television series and/or the movie, what do you think about this? It seems to me that the movie worked as well as it did because it was released while the show was still on the air, and they were able to tie elements from the show's story line into the movie -- as if the movie were just another, extended episode of the show. I'm not so sure how well that would work if they were to release a new movie, say, 2-3 years from now, when the show's been off the air so long.

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think the main concern about the first movie was that it was just an extended episode of the show. I liked the movie because I liked the show (and been there with a girl on a date ;)), but you couldn’t really watch it without knowing the show, so I hope this will be better this time.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They've been talking about a second X Files movie for years. It's even been suggested it'll be a standalone story (i.e., involving some sort of ghoulie, totally outside the realm of the conspiracy story arc). I'll believe it when they actually start shooting.

I will say that they face a daunting task. The series' end was pretty badly panned by the show's fans.

The part about Spotnitz being involved is also suspect, since he just signed to do a revival of the Night Stalker TV series.

4. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yeah. I pretty much stopped watching when Duchovny left the show.

As others have mentioned, most of my favorite episodes had nothing to do with the whole conspiracy storyline. My two favorites are the "Pusher" episodes, closely followed by the ones with Tooms. Oh, and there's the one with Peter Boyle. Sigh. That was a great show, in its day.

5. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

I think it'll happen. There's a website online where they have alot facts about the movie, and from what i can tell, its pretty convincing.
    The site is www.xfilesmovie2.com

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I'm with everyone else, I think. My favourite ones are the one where Muler and Scully get trapped in the 1930s on a ship in the Bermuda triangle, and the one with the crippled girls who were supposed to be angels. Really creepy (but occasionally quite funny) stuff - they need to do something like those. The first film confused me and I've watched loads of the episodes.

7. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Super Soilders!

finally some x-files movie 2 news!

thats a shame - cause season 8 was about as good as season 6. i think most people should give season 8 another chance on dvd. a lot of the stories outside of the mythology were creative, gritty, and paranormal scary. robert patrick may not have filled the void as the sceptic as well as scully's character did - but he definitely did do a great job in bringing the show back to its roots. now season 9 - thats quite easy to pass up. :D

8. brap macrumors 68000

Used to like the show 'back in the day'... but then I made the mistake of watching the finalé.

Now the thought of watching anything x-files makes me retch.

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I loved that show. My favorites were the originals with the shady 'X' character... I also really liked the one where the New England teacher was a demon...

anyway, what ever WAS the finale? What happened? anyone?

10. brap macrumors 68000

Mulder found Jesus.

No, seriously.

11. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

12. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i think i can field this - scully was already off of the x-files and teaching for the FBI academy and mulder had left to search for the truth. agent doggett and reyes took over and scully would be there to perform the autopy's that noone else could... she gave up her baby william i think half way through the season so he would be safe from the super soldier mythology (bleh).

mulder showed up during the last episode when he was caught finding more evidence of a government planned armagedan - while trying to escape he killed a super solder named knowles(?). the rest of the finale had to do with mulders (seinfeld-like-finale) trial if he was guilty of killing the man. each witness that testified had a nostalgic role in the show. they of course found him guilty and everyone including director Kirsch helped he and scully escape from military prison. shortly after they met up with CGB spender who revealed more of the truth and the military blew him away. the ending was basically that mulder and scully would live together, looking for the truth themselves.

i'm in agreement that it was one of the worst things ever. it is a good thing that chris carter decided to end the series that year.

and i agree that X was one of the coolest characters, i would go on to say one of the best characters ever introduced on television. :eek:

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The ONLY good thing to come out of the X-Files finale was the revelation of the date of the alien invasion of Earth... December 22, 2012, the first date NOT covered by the ancient Mayan calendar, which ends on December 21, 2012. (Presumably, the Mayans somehow knew when humanity would end, so they ended their calendar when no more days would be needed.)

14. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I wholeheartedly agree with both the angle and the sentiment. Now I just laugh when I see it.

By the time the sequel comes out (if it actually does) the principle leads will be pushing 40 ... and the concept of two middle-aged FBI agents saving the human race from alien super beings is just too too weird.

Let it sleep.

15. Toreador93 macrumors regular

If Harrison Ford can play Indiana Jones at 63, Duchovny and Anderson have a few more years left.

I love the X-Files, but I hated the last few seasons. And why did they put the baby in the series? Kids and X-Files don't mix, unless they're possessed or have been missing for 10 years. Just like Friends! It's not called "Families"!! Kids ruin good TV shows!

And honestly, I want them to FINALLY get it on! I can't believe I care this much, but after investing 8 years of my life watching all that pent-up sexual tension, I need closure!! And Gillian Anderson is still pretty hot.

Check out the last section of This Page to see some of Mulder's mad skillz.

(god I'm such a geek)

16. Kato C. macrumors member

Put me in the doubtful - who cares column. Even if Duchovny came back, Chris Carter would not be able to control his impulse to throw more bs into the fan, instead of bringing the plot to at least some kind of meaningful conclusion.

IMHO the first movie was the begining of the end of the series. Instead of taking the opportunity to give his audience some closure and move the plot on to new territory, he just threw more ideas into the bin. Interesting how dated reruns look now.