X-Plane and Intel GMA 950 graphics?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RJD, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RJD macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2005
    My folks just bought themselves one of the low-end Intel iMacs (1.83ghz and Intel GMA 950 graphics), and I'm wondering if X-Plane will run okay on it.

Obviously it won't run at peak specs, but does anyone know if it will run well enough to keep my 60 year old dad happy?

He doesn't have a lot of experience with computers, and won't be looking for 'bleeding edge' performance and graphics, just a decent frame rate, smoothe game play and okay graphics...
  2. super_kev macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    You could always download the X-Plane demo and find out before purchasing it. Each person has a different view of what runs "decent" on a computer, so checking out a demo is the only way you'll find out if it's good enough for you/him or not.
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    To be honest i think it may struggle. The developers are doing a great job of bringing down the specs while upping performance in every release but like Super_kev says give the Demo a try before you buy so you are not dissapointed.

Even on my 1.8D PMG5 with 256VRAM and 2GB ram I cant hit max settings without it going a bit jerky on me.
  4. jane doe macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    I run X-plane on a macbook. It gives the same as a powerbook 12" that I had. The best advice I could give you is to get as much ram as you can.

The graphics are fine for medium detail for VFR flight and flight into IMC should not be a problem at all :)

I'm pretty happy with it all and all, there are some things that it does that I don't like but its pretty good. If you want a real good sim, get an Elite set up.