OS X X-Plane Demo wont launch 64 bit -crashes on 2012 imac.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Red Fuji, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Red Fuji

I have a 2012 imac with 8 G RAM(for now) . Before I start loading - RAM is at ~6.7 G. And during the load it depletes it down to the Mega Byte level then immediately crashes(3rd way into the load.) X-Plane requirement states 2 G minimum and 4 recommended (probably 32 bit ver spec) I know 64 bit is a RAM hog but it is indiscriminately sucking up RAM like mad.

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

64bit isn't a RAM hog, it's simply able to address more RAM than a 32bit OS.

Is this Apple RAM or third party? Are you running bootcamp drivers or did you try to add third party video drivers?

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

I ran it under 16GB on my 2011 27" and now 32GB on my new 2012...2GB GPU in both cases. I'd hazard a guess that you are going to have to turn down the settings. As a test, disable HDR rendering first, and set other options to minimum...then gradually work your way up until you reach the crash point.

If the game still won't run, then a re-install ( I know, it's a pain) and an email to Austin with a crash dump will help. More info in my thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483739

4. Red Fuji, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

Do not i need to launch/run it first in order to turn down the settings? i am new to X-plane but so far love what i see (32 bit does load fine but i wish to see what 64 looks like) and yes i sent off the crash report.

oh-to address blueroom:
    yes-Apple RAM(min RAM that comes w/ 2012 3.4Ghz 27" imac)
    no Windows installed.
    no 3rd party - GTX680MX 2GB
    Thanks.

5. macrumors G5

Macman45

It's odd that the 32 bit version runs and the 64 won't...It was always the other way around before as you can read from the posts in my link. I can't see what could be stopping the 64 bit version from loading apart from a corrupt file someplace....The 32 bit version was the crash laden one. If it were me I would delete the lot and start afresh....It's tedious, but will at least eliminate the corruption idea.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

i'll give it a try tonight. but i am watching load as it sucks up all the RAM then crash.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

no luck with the re-install; still cant get 64 bit to launch. X-plane CS responded- they will look into the crash report.

8. macrumors member

Hmmm sounds like an interesting problem. It's definitely not the 64x OS that is killing your RAM though. I wouldn't be so convinced all at once.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

I tried launching it last night and it took off-loads faster than 32 bit. I dont have any explanation as to why it wasnt launching before-was too busy playing X-plane with no time for fish bone root cause analysis:)
    i dont know if sending the crash report helped with the fix? but i am happy.
    now i need to look into a controler -yoke or stick-extra money for the Eclipse=wife lecture. hmmm. decisions.