X-Plane will not run on my new mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by madroadbiker, Oct 22, 2005.

1. madroadbiker macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

I downloaded x-plane 8.20 demo and it won't run. I have a 2.7GHz dual processor G5 with a gig of ram and a ATI Radeon X850 XT graphics card. 8.17 won't run either. When I launch it, the screen comes up and I can hear engine noises, radio chatter, etc. but the keyboard and joystick are dead. All I can do is move the mouse around. Can't access any setup screens or anything. The only thing I can do is power down and restart my computer to get out of it. I have even been in contact with "austin meyer" <austin@x-plane.com> and he hasn't been able to help yet. Has anyone else experienced this problem before? I really want to buy this game but am hessitant if the demo won't even run. Thanks for any help.
    madroadbiker is online now Edit/Delete Message

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Very odd. Xplane is a wonderful program. Are you sure that all of your hardware is working correctly? Maybe you have some bad RAM?

I hope you get Xplane to work because it is by far the best flight sim ever.

3. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

My hardware is fine. I can run all kinds of other games. No one seems to be able to help. This is very frustrating!

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just to be safe, run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer. That way we can be sure that it isn't a hardware issue.

What other programs do you have running when you are playing Xplane?

5. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

I would erase and re-download the X-Plane demo. Another thing to try is running X-Plane Updater http://www.xplaneupdate.com/

I think the updater program can be run for free a time or two, and may work on the demo, since its only limits are location and duration. (You'll almost certainly need it if you do get X-Plane fully licensed. It's incredibly hard to keep up with updates otherwise.) .

But, something strange may have happened to one of the supporting files during the download of the demo, and X-Plane is very sensitive to that.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Definitely sounds like an OpenGL problem of some sort... try posting on the X-Plane (Mac) forums.

7. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

I erased and completely redown loaded 8.20 and still no change. I even tried 8.17. I don't know what else to try. :confused:

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Ask the X-Plane people. They know specifically what issues affect that app.

9. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

You mean like Austin Meyer? Did that. He doesn't seem able to help. Go figure!

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What about Xplane's console log?

And what is the status of your hardware test? (You never know...)

Another thing to try: start off the OS X installer disk, choose Disk Utility, choose your hard drive, and then click Repair Drive. These are to the right of the Permissions buttons. Maybe your hard drive just is having issues, and this will fix it? (plus it is good to do anyway)

11. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

It's tough to get specific online help about X-Plane, though there is a Yahoo group which requires joining in order to post. It sounds like you have an ideal machine for running the program, but it won't. Make sure you have the latest Java version (should be, shouldn't it, but check.)

Only other troubleshooting thing I can recommend is at xplaneupdate.com and I have confirmed that their program works on the demo version. If a scenery file or some other supporting file is the problem, it should find and replace it. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

http://www.xplaneupdate.com/mac_start_trouble.html

12. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Have you tried creating a new user account and running it on there?

13. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

Have tried everything you guys suggested. I appreciate your help but it still dosen't work. I ran hardware tests and everything checks out okay. 8.17 and 8.20 don't work so there's no reason to assume the full version will work either. I'm really disappointed because it looks like a pretty cool sim. Sadly, I give up.

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

15. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Unfortunatly the demo and the full version are THE SAME THING. The demo becomes the full version as soon as you put in a legal CD of the game. The ONLY difference is that the demo has a time limit that you use the mouse/joystick.

16. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

Everyone, thank all of you for trying to help me solve this problem. I finally found out what my problem is. It's my vcard. The ATI Radeon X850 will NOT work for this application as well as certain other apps. I found this out from someone on forums.x-plane.org who has the exact same thing I have. He told me it was the vcard I have. He suggested I call apple and try to get them to exchange it. I tried and apple will not. They basically told me that I'm s!@# out of luck. Nice support huh? Anyway, thanks again everyone for your help.

17. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If it's the video card, why not get in touch with ATI and see what they'll do about it?

18. carpe diem macrumors 6502

19. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Thanks for posting your findings. Be sure and let Austin know. Is there a chance there is something simple he can do to get his program compatible with that video card? He'll be interested, though.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously, if only one application has a problem with the card, it's unlikely to be the card or the driver and that's why Apple would not consider replacing it. If everything using OpenGL was having a problem with it, including Quartz Extreme most likely, then, Apple would be in the hot seat.

In any case, it's too bad that it won't display the graphics. I wonder if there are other games/simulators or it's just X-Plane.

21. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

I did let Austin Know about it and he said he's going to talk to Apple about it. I also got some suggestions from MIKX on forums.x-plane.org
    (http://forums.x-plane.org//index.php?showtopic=15670&st=20) and see if
    that works. I already downloaded ATI Displays 4.5.6 but I'll try those
    other things he suggested and let you guys know how it works out.

Well those suggestions didn't work either. :(

22. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

It works!

Hey everyone, it works! How did I get it running? I guess Apple fixed something because all I did was install their latest OS update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3 and now it runs!

cool!

23. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Just to help solve the mystery, were you using a 3rd party LCD display?
    Or are you certain it was the vid card?

Games like Doom3 wouldn't automatically detect the display (if the OS couldn't), so you'd end up with a black screen with audio working fine. The solution was to manually edit the ini files( to set min & max display refresh to 60). I wonder if that's the same in your case, or if you were using a cinema display, in which case this doesn't apply.

24. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

That's good news madroadbiker. It is very helpful when MR Members post results as you have.

25. madroadbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

I have an Apple 20" cinema display and DOOM3 runs great!
    Now If only I knew how to fly.