X11 and GIMP help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkrishnan, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've searched around, and I'm sorry cuz a lot of this I should know from my Unix experiecne, but.... :D

First the X11 questions...
    1) If you run X11 in fullscreen, can you enable / program contextual menus to the mouse buttons like you get in other X11 desktop environments?

2) Does the Apple key do anything in X11 mode? Is there a way to make it so that Apple-Tab gets you either back to the OS X screen or cycles to the next program like it does outside of X11?

3) Is there a way to gateway copied materials from the main OS X environment to the X11 environment, at least for text, so, for instance, you could copy a link in Firefox and paste it into the "open URL" option in GIMP?

Then the GIMP question: I've had a few crashes surrounding the font dialog in GIMP. It defaults to previewing the font along with selection, and I think this is what is munging it up. Is there a way to turn this off? I didn't see it in the GIMP options... :(

Even with the limitations, GIMP is awesome. :) Too bad the X11 thing makes it a little less smooth than using it in Windows, but....

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, I don't know any of the answers, but I'd be interested in hearing them, if anyone else has them....

* bump *

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Install KDE. You can set up a transparent desktop environment that keeps a lot of the normal shortcuts and gives you contextual menus (although command and control are reversed in functionality when running X11).

You need X11, Xcode, and Fink.

Download and install the above.

Open a terminal: (don't type any of my quotation marks)

type "sudo pico /sw/etc/fink.conf"
    find the line that starts "Trees:" and add the text "unstable/main" and "unstable/crypto" to the end of that line hit control-O then enter to save then control-X to exit.

at the terminal prompt again type "fink selfupdate-rsync" (this could take awhile).

at the terminal prompt type "pico /sw/etc/apt/sources.list" add the lines
    "deb http://fink.opendarwin.org/bbraun 10.3/unstable/main crypto"
    "deb http://fink.opendarwin.org/bbraun 10.3/stable main crypto"
    to the end of the file. control-O->enter->control-x (save and exit)

at the terminal prompt type "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install bundle-kde" (this will download a 279 MB file so once again this could take awhile.

almost there

at the terminal prompt type "sudo pico -w ~/.xinitrc" add the following lines
    "source /sw/bin/init.sh"
    "/sw/bin/startkde"
    control-O->enter->control-x (save and exit)

Now when you launch X11 KDE should also load. On the first run you will want to shut off the KDE desktop icons so you can see your OSX desktop. Click on the K button in the lower left corner goto Settings->Control Center click on the + next to desktop and select Behavior. Uncheck the show icons on desktop button.

Now you should have your OS X desktop with the KDE kicker. You can run your X11 apps from the KDE environment and it has decent integration with OS X. Control-Tab works for me although OpenOffice windows don't come to the front on clicking I need to either control-Tab to the X11 app or click on the X11 icon in the dock but it's a minor inconvenience for the added functionality.

BTW I don't have full screen mode set in the X11 prefs.

Enjoy.

Source of the above information (August 2004 issue of MacWorld).

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

atszyman said what i was going to say. By the way when turning off desktop icon i had to use almost all keyboard only.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well to copy something from aqua to x11, highlight and cmd+c to copy from aqua (ofcourse :D ) and then in x11, option+click would paste it.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think you don't necessarilly need to install KDE - just modify your X11 config so it's not running in rootless mode.

And for the copying - at least in Panther it's pretty transparent since Aqua and X11 use the same clipboard. Just get used to using ctrl-C/ctrl-V in X11 apps and cmd-C/cmd-V in OS X apps. It'd be nice if Apple's X11 would use the same meta keys as Aqua, but what can you do...

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmm....thanks to everyone for the input. It seems that pasting doesn't work from Firefox in Aqua to GIMP in X, for some reason, because I also tried doing it via mouse and menus in GIMP. Strange. But I will check again. Does it make a difference for this whether X11 is rooted or rootless?

The reason I've been running in rootless (? the mode where X11 has its own screen and Aqua has its own screen) is that GIMP seems noticeably faster in that mode. So I was hoping for some root contextual menus. Then again, if that mode is rootless, I guess there's no root to have the menus. I'm not thrilled about installing KDE just to get that; maybe I'll just let it go. :(

But since I don't have Photoshop, using GIMP still allows me to play the photoshop game with y'all! :)

8. tbwamp macrumors newbie

Now what?

Just a longshot since this thread is three years old, but...

I foolishly followed all the above steps blindly, and now I can't get any of my X11 apps to start, or X11 for that matter. Any suggestions how to get back to where I started? I tried just reinstalling X11 but of course that didn't work...any help would be appreciated.