X11 application menu issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shadowfax, Feb 19, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i use apple's X11 for 2 things, really. one is just to mess around with it, and the other is to use a linux-only German-English dictionary i like.

this always worked fine under KDE with XDarwin, but there is an odd issue in X11 for OS X (under quartz-wm).

the program is called ding, and it's installed in /sw/ding/ding.

when i run xterm and enter "/sw/ding/ding," the program starts instantly and runs fine with all the good quartz stuff.

when i add the same line to the applications menu on X11, however, nothing happens. is there some kind of argument i need to add in, like some way to tell it to "run from terminal" or something?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i've never been able to get anything to word from the applications menu :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

either it's that i'm a newb to x11, or it just doesn't work for everything

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

For some reason quartz-wm only finds apps if they are installed in--or linked to--in the '/usr/X11R6/bin' directory.

So do this:

cd /usr/X11R6/bin
    sudo ln -s /sw/ding/ding ding

Viola! It should now open from the application menu.

Taft

4. Bear macrumors G3

Sounds like a bug to me.

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i have the same problem with kde, but it happens regardless of the window manager i'm using. it runs fine from a terminal window but gives me errors if i try it from the application menu. hopefully it's just part of the growing pains, after all, (apple)x11 is only at .2

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

It is a bug in X11...kinda. I've already reported it, but its basically just that the X server (not the window manager, but the layer under the wm) doesn't check against the PATH variable when looking for apps.

Inexplicably, it checks against an internal path. For now, you can just create symbolic links. It won't hurt your system, so long as the sym link points to a binary in a bin directory.

I would draw the line at doing this for apps installed outside a bin directory. That might get messy. But thankfully most will install a sym link into a bin directory which points to the correct app. Then, just make a sym link to a sym link.

Incidently, there may be a way to alter the X servers internal path. I'd check under /usr/X11R6/etc. I'd do it myself, but I only use X11 for gimp, so I really don't care much at all; one sym link does it for me. :)

Taft

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

:( strange. didn't help. it still does the same thing :confused:

i tried putting "/usr/x11R6/bin/ding" in the app menu, as well as the same old "/sw/ding/ding". but, entering "/usr/x11R6/bin/ding" into xterm, it runs perfectly.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Hmmm. Evidently it isn't at all smart about how to recognize program names.

When I did it, I just put the command name. Not the path/command.

Try just putting 'ding' in the box. That should do it.

Taft

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

nothing :( this is so weird. i wouldn't expect it to be this, because mozilla and gimp both run great out of /sw/bin, so i think i just need to get someone who knows how to put in a "run from xterm" argument, i think. i have seen this option in KDE, but it doesn't list an argument, just a check box.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

That's easy:

xterm -e "ding"

or

xterm -e "ding&"

The second one allows you to close the xterm after the program is started.

Taft

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

cool. is there a way to make it close the xterm automatically?

also, i tried this too, and it didn't seem to work. i get a blank xterm window titled "ding" that closes the second i press any button. :confused:
    lol, this must be a really poorly written program, but i'll still use it, because i am too cheap to use ultralingua. know any other OS X/linux german-english dictionaries that are free/close to free? i'd be all up for an English dictionary too; the sherlock one is annoying, and it only works when i am online (naturally). I used to use MS bookshelf ALL the time on my windows box. that wasn't free, but my dad bought it. one of the few apps i miss from windows.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Thats dang wierd. You can't use quotes for some reason. I could have sworn you can do that with xterm.

Anyway, if you do this:

xterm -e ding

It should work. Unfortunately, the & will act on the xterm command in this case, so its useless and you are stuck with an open xterm.

What an annoying problem. Lets hope they fix this for the next release.

Taft

13. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

this is something of an issue. this last suggestion didn't work either, but "xterm -e ding &" did the exact same thing--that is, opened a blank xterm window with title "ding" and not a thing in the window, except a blinking cursor. it closed upon any pressing of a button again. :confused: I guess i will just run it from an xterm manually. this is insane.

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Just a thought, but do you have the latest version? .2 I think.

I'm really just grasping at straws here. This is insane.

Taft

15. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

It's funny how this so quickly turned to just you and me. thanks for trying to help, i really appreciate it.

i have .2.1, i think, it's the latest one.