X11 - installation questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Feb 22, 2006.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I've just purchased MatLab, which requires X11 to run, and which I don't currently have installed on my PowerBook (running OSX 10.4.4). The message during the installation of MatLab said this can be installed from the OSX Installer disk.

Unfortunately, I'm at university and won't be going home for another month, and my installer DVD is at home! Is there any way I can install X11 without the installer DVD?

Also, what is X11, just out of interest?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You used to be able to download X11 from Apple's website, not sure if you still can.

X11 is the X Windows System. It's a "standard" unix windows system.

Edit to add:You can still download it. Google really is your friend.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm on 10.4, and the specs for that page say 10.3 to 10.3.9 :(

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Try it. They probably say that as it's on the 10.4 installed disk.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anybody confirm if the version linked above is the same as the version that installs from the Tiger DVD?

I'd rather not do anything that might mess my system up, since I'm over 150 miles from my installer disc at the minute, and I can't afford to be without my computer! Having a working computer is more important than getting Matlab working at the minute :)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

X11 ships preinstalled on new Macs. It also ships as part of the standard distribution of MacOS X 10.4. The version available for download on Apple's website dates back to the time when Apple did not include it as the standard part of the OS.

7. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

No it's not. When you try to install from the link -- the application will tell you that your system has an updated version of X11 (which is on your install disk). Go Figure!!

So at the end -- yes you will need the Tiger install disk to be able to install it.
    If someone can upload that file for you, then that would be nice .. unfortuntely my DVD is at home. I may do that when I leave work for you. Unless someone else will do that? :)

8. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

The version on this 10.4.5 using iMac of X11 is 1.1, XFree86 4.4.0, so that looks different from what you can download direct from Apple.

9. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

Ok. I found this on my machine under:
    Macintosh HD > Library > Receipts > X11User.pkg

You can download it from here and try this version out: http://albeik.com/tiger/X11User.pkg.zip

Tell me if this works out for you.

10. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

"There were errors installing, please try again"

The .pkg in that ZIP file is only 2.2Mb, yet it claims it installs 91Mb of software. The download from the apple site is 40(ish) Mb...

11. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

12. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - that worked :)

I think...

Well, MatLab seems to run now. Just a shame it appears like a Windows application, with the menubar moving around with the window, and not able to run like a proper OSX application, with the menu items appearing in the menubar....

13. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

It's unfortunate that this is the case with many X11 applications. I tried using GIMP for a while, but the Windowsness of it drove me away. It feels clumsy and awkward when used in the same environment as OSX.

14. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. It'd be OK if I was using dual monitors with the desktop spanning over both monitors. But, I'm a poor student who can't afford two monitors ;)

15. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Does your Uni do hardship bursaries? You've got a rock solid case there. ;)