X11 Installs, but doesn't show up.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kenyabob, Jun 2, 2006.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

I am trying to run Open Office, however, I needed to install X11 on my tiger machine before doing so. So, I grabbed my tiger dvd and tried to install X11, and it says installation complete, but I can't find X11 anywhere on my machine. I also installed all of xcode, but that didnt do it either. Am I missing something here?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First let's verify that those two applications are not there. Did you do a Spotlight search? Or just navigate to where they would be using Finder.

X11 would be in Applications/Utilities/

Xcode would be in Developer/Applications/ (The entire Developer folder gets installed in the Xcode installation process, so the presence of even the Developer folder means that something worked.

3. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I did a spotlight and I checked those two locations.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

FWIW, I'd NOT use Spotlight to search for anything like this.. it (annoyingly) ignores certain important folders.
    Just one of the reasons I think Spotlight sux.

Use the Cmd-F (Find) feature of the Finder.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay...do those Spotlight searches pull up anything with either "X11" or "Xcode" on your system?

I'm wondering if they were previously installed and then deleted...is that possible? If they had been, you'd find evidence in Library (the top level one, not the one under your home directory) --> Receipts

Do you have files called DeveloperTools.pkg and/or X11User.pkg?

If those files are present, they would be telling the installer that you already have those items on your system, when in reality they've been deleted. If you do have those files, try dragging them to the Desktop and then try to install X11 and Developer Tools from your Tiger disc.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Typing X11 into Spotlight will find the X11.app, if it doesn't something went wrong with the installation. No need to keep needlessly bash Spotlight.

EDIT: Also, in what way does Cmd-F in the Finder not use Spotlight? Its just Spotlight with a slightly different UI.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can search in /System and /Library with Cmd-F. I cannot with Spotlight. <bash on>

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Spotlight works in /Library on my computer, I wouldn't know why it wouldn't on yours. I'll admit it doesn't find stuff in /System.

However X11 doesn't exist in either of those directories, the majority of it exists in /usr, which by default is hidden in Finder and as such can't be Ctrl-F searched.

Regardless, Ctrl-F in Finder is still Spotlight, so your critism is a little off base. If you want to criticise Spotlight's desktop icon interface, then I'd understand.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Semantics. I prefer to search in my way, despite what it's called. The typical Spotlight use of the magnifying icon in my toolbar doesn't suit my needs most of the time. However, I shall not go futher off topic.

Hopefully the OP has enough from other posts to find/correct the situation.

10. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Keep what? You seem to be labouring under the delusion that by using Cmd-F you're not using Spotlight, which I find a little odd.

Anyway, my guess would be that the OP needs to install X11 from the Additional Installs on the Tiger Install DVD. Pop that DVD in and click on "Additional Software", click on Utilities and you should see X11 as an option to install. X11 has nothing to do with XCode as suggested above, you don't need XCode to install X11. XCode only installs the X11 developer code, i.e. what you need to build X11 apps, rather than what you need to run OO.

11. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help guys. I eventually figured out the following:

1.Installing all of xcode will not install X11 on my machine, for some odd reason.
    2.The file titled X11SDK will also not install X11.

Ultimately, I did a search for all the X11 resources on the tiger dvd and I found another file called X11User which, surprisingly, did install X11 on my machine.

So, I have it working!

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Glad you got it working, though what you found isn't really surprising. As dr_lha mentioned, Xcode is not required for X11, so there's no reason that an installation of Xcode should add X11 to your system. X11User (as you found out) is the actual X11 application, while X11SDK provides support for development of X11 apps.

13. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I can't install the x11user.pkg file anymore, it says that that "newer software already exists". However when I try to launch X11 the dymbol appears only for 1 second in the dock, bounces once, and goes away again. Help anybody?

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

/Applications/Utilites/X11.app, correct?

What do the crashlogs say?