X11 on intel Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by captainbeefheat, Sep 30, 2006.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Ok so I wanted to run Inkscape so I needed the x11 enviroment, as i recall on my ibook I just used the DVD it came with, so I try the same with my new iMac and it doesn't seem to be there. The second disk doesn't even have anything on it, just a text document.

I thought it would be a long shot but i whacked in my ibook DVD into my new mac and to my surprise it let me install the X11 off that.

My question basically is is this ok to do? I.e. nothing bad is gonna happen as it is older then the intel macs? Or if there is a better version to use? Or is their a way to uninstrall this X11 if I need to?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

X11 is part of the Intel restore media. The full path on DVD 1 is:

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg

You've installed the PPC version and will be running it under emulation, I suggest removing it and replacing it with the native version.

3. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

don't worry. X11 has been the de-facto for unix-based windowing for a while now. though, lots of new technology has come to replace it, it is however, still useful. and to answer your questions, you should be able to remove it, if there is a need. btw, let me just remind you that this is not a microsoft product :)

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Wow that comment about Microsoft sure came out of left field. Does that actually mean anything? :rolleyes:

5. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to you both. I am now installed the one from the disk that came with the mac. I don't know why but i missed a load of folders amd now see the x11 clearly.

Can't find a way to uninstall X11 I have currently but when I go to install the new one it says upgrade so I assume it's writing over it.

It concenred me before (PPC) because it went to a screen saying optimizing my hard disk.

The Gimp also seems to work now with this new version which it didn't before so thats cool!