X11 Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by idkfa, Nov 6, 2006.

1. idkfa macrumors regular

I was just trying to install Matlab 7 onto my OS 10.4.8 iBook G4. It warned me that unless X11 was installed, I would not be able to run the program. After downloading X11, it informs me that newer software is already installed. However, when I try to run Matlab, the dock icon just bounces for a while, then stops. Help?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

3. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okey dokey…*Is there an X11 icon in Applications/Utilities? If yes, does it seem to work?

If X11 is there after all, see if you can get your software started if X11 is already running.

5. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. There is no icon. This means that either you or my computer are lying. ;) I guess the next step is to install it from the OSX disk. That being said, I would still like to know why, when I downloaded X11 from Apple Support, it would not let me install it...

Thanks!

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ohhh, I thought that you meant that the installer from the OS X disk was telling you it was already installed! That would have been weird, but if it was the downloaded installer saying that, it's normal.

That's because the one available for download is an old version. It sees that some of the support libraries are already newer than what it can offer, so it gives up in despair.

7. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i have been having the same issue and still displays the same message when installed from my OSX disc