X11 Reinstall Issues - anyone have some advice?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Jan 28, 2006.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey guys,

So after I restored my computer from a faulty hard drive, X11 started acting weird. It would close immediately after it opened, weird stuff like that. So I decided to delete and reinstall it. I deleted it completely, and then i went to the OS Xwebsite and downloaded it. It said that I had a newer version on my system than the one it wanted to install. I did a spotlight search and deleted everythign x11 related. Still no cigar. I really need this program. Are there any good alternatives? I don't have the Tiger DVD since I go to school in San Diego and i'm from Los Angeles. Let me konw if you guys know how I can get it to work.
    -Kevin

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I tried searching for a standalone X11 installer for 10.4 some time ago but unfortunately I don't think there is one. The download from Apple's website is for 10.3 machines... the only way I know how to get X11 for Tiger is through the DVD.

Now, maybe someone has the package from the DVD online somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for looking. I guess i'll have to be GIMP-less until i go back home and get that CD...

-Kevin

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Any chance you could have someone mail it to you? USPS media mail is pretty cheap these days.

In any event, don't feel too bad... I went without X11 for 2 months before I even thought of searching the Tiger DVD :rolleyes: :eek:

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Do the following:

In spotlight type X11User.pkg, click on "Show All(1)". The drag the X11User.pkg into the Trash.

After doing this, try to install the X11 package you downloaded from Apple, it should work.

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Tried. That. I have everything x11 related gone. Still no success.

7. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu