Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I'm trying to connect to my university's linux server via ssh, all is well except when I want to use an application that isn't command line based and requires an X window, when I use it on the university internal network it's fine and I suspect it now doesnt work because I'm behind a NAT firewall, how can I get around this (preferably while still using NAT)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you not have to still set the server display environmental variable if you use ssh -X, as you used to have to with telnet? I'm not sure -- I'm just asking.

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I've solved it now, I opened the X server port on my firewall, it works, just slowly

cbiffle

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Tempe, AZ
Then they probably have X11 forwarding disabled on the server.

The -X option on ssh forwards the X traffic back through the ssh connection itself -- you shouldn't have to open a port on your firewall.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Do you not have to still set the server display environmental variable if you use ssh -X, as you used to have to with telnet? I'm not sure -- I'm just asking.

No. ssh does it

cobra01977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
cbiffle said:
Then they probably have X11 forwarding disabled on the server.

The -X option on ssh forwards the X traffic back through the ssh connection itself -- you shouldn't have to open a port on your firewall.
well I opened the ssh port and x windows actually and it worked after that

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
cobra01977 said:
well I opened the ssh port and x windows actually and it worked after that

You are not forwarding. The ignored -X option is not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.