X11 slient crash driving me up the wall

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Apr 2, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Ok guys, this one's really got me stumped. It looks like it should be an easy fix, but I'll throw it out into the wild;

X11 silently crashes about 10 seconds after starting. In that ~10 seconds I can use it perfectly fine, browse menus, change preferences (quickly!) etc, but no matter what, it crashes. Also, any apps I try to open in X11 just sit there, while it's "running" for 10 seconds and after it's crashed. They never load.

From console.log;
    From X11.crash.log;
    I've performed all the usual, repairing permissions etc etc. Any ideas?
    I would guess it's a bad installation, but I've installed it a number of times from 10.3 CD3 :confused:

AppleMatt

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

trash preferences..if you havent done it yet...dont know what else to say...though from the x11 crash log, it appears what you said..bad installation...

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

It seems obvious to me, but I don't if you have already gone this route.

Bring up a terminal window and type:

ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib

See what you get.

4. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Right. Got it working.

I deleted absolutely everything related to X11, could possibly have looked at X11 or heard about it.
    I considered deleting files who were there when I talked about X11, but decided that was overkill.

Then I re-installed it...same problem :mad:
    but, I deleted the preferences and started it again. A message appeared saying something along the lines of the display settings were being used from another source, did I want to use the default location? Obviously I said yes, and it works!

Huzzah!

AppleMatt