Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
I do gimp shop. Recently I did Archive and Install. ( Wish I didn't) Now when I try to open gimp, this is what it says [see screenshot] HELP PLEASE!

Attachments

• Gimpprobelms.jpg
    Gimpprobelms.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 135

Retired
May 16, 2006
Put in your OSX install disk 1 (came with your computer), and search in spotlight for 'X11', install the package and you're done.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yes, but wouldn't you rather just open the application rather then waiting for it to install. Also, I am not admin so I have to get my dad to do it. And he will ask these questions ( He uses PCs ) :

Dad: Why do I need to install it?
Me: Because when I did Archive and Install something happened. :)

Dad: What is it?
Me: Don't you remember? It is for gimp to run.

Dad: Do you really need it now?
Me: YES!

Dad: Later.
Me: NOW!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
DJ OJ said:
Yes, but wouldn't you rather just open the application rather then waiting for it to install.

X11 isn't an application, it's a system component. X11.app is just a launcher. You need to install X11 before the launcher (or Gimp) will work :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OS X is based on Unix. Gimp is written for Unix. Unix was originally a text-based OS, so they created a GUI for it, called the X Window System. It's up to version 11, commonly called X11. Since Gimp hasn't been rewritten to use OS X's Aqua, you need to install X11 for it :)

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Couple observations:

What part of the error message didn't you understand, exactly? It told you X11 was missing and how to get it back.

Secondly, how did you manage to do an Archive and Install without your dad's permission? Seeing as you now need his permission to re-install X11, how did you Archive and Install?

I am mostly interested as I have been known to write software and do tech support. I am continually amazed by the byzantine human/computer interactions that occur every day, here in the "future" world of 2006.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
kinda of unrelated but how could I install x11 with out my osx disk? I downloaded X11 off the Apple site and tried to install it but all i get is the error that newer software exist but I do not know what the newer software is.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
bloodycape said:
kinda of unrelated but how could I install x11 with out my osx disk? I downloaded X11 off the Apple site and tried to install it but all i get is the error that newer software exist but I do not know what the newer software is.
X11 at Apple's website is for 10.3, not 10.4. Unless somebody is hosting it illegally somewhere, the only way is to get from your install disks.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
bloodycape said:
darn it. any alternatives to it?
I've heard of something called Xdarwin, but I am not sure if it will be good enough. Google it and see if it looks like it is OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.