X11 to get an upgrade in Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Feb 7, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I love Apple's X11 implementation, but it could use some under-the-hood updates really soon. Everyone has moved / is moving away from an XFree86 implementation and switching to X.org. Apple needs to do the same w/ X11. There are some other things to be worked on too... Anyone know if there's a chance we'll see that get an update?
    -Kevin

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The chances are probably good. Apple is generally good with keeping up with open source releases with their OS updates (although not in the interim).

3. Bear macrumors G3

Are you having a particular problem with Apple's X11 package?

Or do you want updates just for the sake of updates?

If there are no issues, I'd rather Apple work on things that are issues. And let the X11 changes procede at whatever pace they're currently going at.

If you have particular issues, remember to provide feedback to Apple. Also, if you feel there is a particular reason Apple needs to switch the the X.org implementation, provide feedback to them on that as well.

4. all-devourer macrumors newbie

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It seems that the recent significant X11 upgrades are not particularly relevant to the typical Mac user that's using the default aquawm window manager.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would appreciate it if you let us know what problems you're having with X11 so that those of us with Panther can test it ourselves (and maybe come up with solutions or workarounds).

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

x.org's X11 is basically just a fork from XFree86's X11 4.3.0 right before their recent licensing change; so it's not like there's been a lot of ground lost.

It's interesting to read the latest release notes, though - it sounds like Apple is pushing stuff upstream, probably in preparation for Tiger. The one I really am looking forward to seeing is the shortcut-key consistency between Aqua and aquawm. I get so tired of having to remember cmd+c in one, followed by ctrl+v in the other...

Edit: Rewording; basically trying not to sound so argumentative :D